Birthday present to myself

tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm giving myself a birthday present--2 weeks after my birthday.
I will be having nipple reconstruction on 2/16. 6-8 wks later I will have tattooing done.
Last year it was a double mastectomy on my 45th birthday.

My plastic surgeon said if she were me she would complete the whole process so your scars are diminish a little from the tattooing .

My decision is based on my age and personal healing that has to be done and this is one way I can personally heal from this.

Why have others done it?

Hugs,
Margo

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    yay!
    Good for you!

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to and my reasons are just what you said. I think it is healing to look as normal as possible. Our lives are forever changed, we've experienced such a loss and I think it can be healing to look as normal as possible. i'm going to do it too! :)

Happy Birthday to you!!

blessings,
    dh
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Margo
    That is a great birthday gift to give to yourself. You are a beautiful woman and this is a big step in your healing process. I am starting to consider my possibilities now that the Herceptin is done and the port is coming out. Please keep me informed on how it is going, and Happy Birthday Margo.
    jackie
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Happy early birthday Margo!
    Happy early birthday Margo! You are one wise and tough cookie,. You deserve to treat yourself anyway you wish.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    natly15 said:

Happy early birthday Margo!
    Happy early birthday Margo! You are one wise and tough cookie,. You deserve to treat yourself anyway you wish.

I just had my nipples done
    I just had my nipples done three weeks ago when I also had one breast reduced to match the other. My doctor normally does the nipples in his office, and I wasn't excited about having them done there. (This is after a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction: I'm not sure what he does with implants). But, when I was having other modifications done, I decided that I might as well have the nipples done. Fortunately, he told me that they would really stick out at first but would then 'settle' down after a couple weeks (much of this is due to the stitches). I'm not sure when I'll have the tattooing done: I have a second post-op appointment in three weeks.

Now that they're done, I'm really glad that I did it. It puts some closure on the past year's journey and helps to make me feel whole. (It's also the first time in ten years that my breasts have been the same size without one much smaller from a lumpectomy and radiation). And, I was able to do it in 2009, so I could start 2010 with no surgeries on the horizon.

I'm glad that you decided to do them: I think that it will provide some closure for you, too. We have a lifetime ahead of us, and we need to move forward confidently, enjoying the ride.

Joyce
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Kudos, Margo
    An awesome birthday present to yourself - which you so deserve. As in your own words, another step in the process of "personal healing"... And, takes you further into your own "Life After Cancer"/"New Normal"...

Good for you, friend! Go for it!

Happy, happy Birthday! - a little early. :-)

Kindest regards, Susan
  • Tinabug
    Tinabug Member Posts: 158
    glad to hear it.
    Margo,

I am so glad to hear you are doing what you need to in order to heal!!! I have talked to several women who have had reconstruction & don't have nipples & no plans of getting them. One of my friend's loves it because she can go without a bra. Although, I still have a long road ahead of me before I can get them...I want them. I realize all of us are different & we make different choices in the healing process. However, I want the entire package, boobs with nipples. Please keep us updated, I want to know what I have in store for me in 6-7 months. Looks like I will be giving myself the same birthday gift.

Cheers,
    Tina
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Happy Birthday to you!!!!
    And, a question....If it makes you feel good, why not go for it????

If cancer taught me no other lesson, it is to live life as large as possible!!!

I can't speak to the reconstruction...I only had a lumpectomy..

Hugs, Kathi
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Margo... I can't take part
    Margo... I can't take part in answering the question you asked... That hasn't been my journey, as you know. But I do want to commend you on knowing yourself well enough to know what it will take for your own personal healing. I think sometimes, that what we truly need gets so blurred in the dx, treatment and fear of recurrence... sometimes it makes it hard to recognize what we need for our own personal healing.... You go girl... you rock...I'll be thinking of you!

♥ & hugs,

~T