exercise

debbie054
debbie054 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What about exercise during chemo? Is it o.k.?

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I think that's up in the
    I think that's up in the air. Some onc's say yes but I think some say no. Check with your's. When I was doing chemo, my onc said it was fine. I did Jazzercise 3 times a week the entire time. I think it actually helped me get through it. I will be honest and say there were a couple of times that I really didn't want to be there but on those days I just worked at a low impact level. Good luck with chemo and keep us posted.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Absolultely!
    I'm trying to get more activity in, even though I don't feel like it. I truly believe that it helps to keep your body strong and maybe even minimize side effects.

I have a good friend who is also going through BC treatment. Just had her first chemo after mastectomy. She was in GREAT shape before her diagnosis - teaching fitness classes, etc. - and has experienced absolutely NO side effects from her first chemo.

After my first chemo I think I rested too much. After my second I tried to push myself a little more at least by taking short walks and doing some yoga and WII exercises. I felt better after the second round of chemo than I did after the first.

Just be aware of what your body is telling you and don't overdo it. Make sure to keep drinking lots of water and get plenty of sleep too.

Good luck!
    Cindy
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    doctor
    Its best to talk to your doctor about it i ask mine and he was like if you feel up to it take a short walk but if your body tell you to lay it down lay it down, and i do just that i might walk one week and i might not. most of the time i have to have my oxygen with me i get short of breath, i get most of my walking in at the mall..lol...love to shop..girl power
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    "As tolerable"
    Actually, best to check with your own doctor. Much depends on the specifics of your chemo, and your own health in general (besides the BC).

That being said... I believe most oncs will advise their patients that mild/moderate exercise - "as tolerable" - is a very good thing. For me, my onc highly recommended a 30 minute walk outdoors per day. Honestly, he insisted upon it for the circulation/oxygen benefits.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

"As tolerable"
    Actually, best to check with your own doctor. Much depends on the specifics of your chemo, and your own health in general (besides the BC).

That being said... I believe most oncs will advise their patients that mild/moderate exercise - "as tolerable" - is a very good thing. For me, my onc highly recommended a 30 minute walk outdoors per day. Honestly, he insisted upon it for the circulation/oxygen benefits.

Ask your oncologist
    Whether you exercise or not during chemo is a question for your oncologist. Our doctor's vary their opinions on so many things. I do think that a short walk daily would be good for anyone, on chemo or not, but, ask your doctor. Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥