Need Input from Burning Sensations

maryannrogers
maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi again everyone. Haven't been on here for quite awhile so thought it would be a good time to chime in. I had modified radical mastectomy on my left side last June. After a few weeks, the burning was pretty bad, but as time went on it subsided and feeling almost returned on my back upper arm and have been doing well. Well, about 3 weeks ago, for some reason, the burning started returning, as well as a pain that sometimes runs up my neck on the same side. Has anyone every experienced anything like this before?
Thanks,
Maryann

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I think you get lots of
    I think you get lots of sensations from nerve regeneration. then if you do something like strain something, or do too much you can get pain. Areyou in PT? You should ask your doc . right now I have forearm pain from stretching too much. the Pt said it wss lymphatic cording and did some massage and it helped.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    carkris said:

I think you get lots of
    I think you get lots of sensations from nerve regeneration. then if you do something like strain something, or do too much you can get pain. Areyou in PT? You should ask your doc . right now I have forearm pain from stretching too much. the Pt said it wss lymphatic cording and did some massage and it helped.

Burning sensations
    I had lymph nodes removed on my left underarm, and have a sort of "tingling, stinging or burning" sensation along the back side of my arm from the shoulder down toward the elbow. I notice this more at the end of the day, especially if I've used my arm more ... lifting or moving things. Also the skin in that region feels tight and "thicker" than my normal arm. I asked the oncologist about it. After examining me thoroughly in that area, he said it was probably the nerves trying to re-route themselves, and possibly some mild lymphadema. It's actually better now than when I asked him about it. But he did say that if it got worse, I should let him know right away.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I didn't have a mastectomy
    I didn't have a mastectomy Maryann, but, maybe you should call your surgeon and go over this with him? Perhaps there is something they can do to help ease the pain.

Debby
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    DebbyM said:

I didn't have a mastectomy
    I didn't have a mastectomy Maryann, but, maybe you should call your surgeon and go over this with him? Perhaps there is something they can do to help ease the pain.

Debby

Had the appointment with the
    Had the appointment with the surgeon and she told me it was scar tissue building up. Was told to rub Vitamin E on it as that sometimes helps. Thanks for all your responses.