nutrition and chemo

Saltylibrarian
Saltylibrarian Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am recently diagnosed and start chemo on Friday. I started taking C and E but was asked by my doctor to stop doing antioxidants. It's confusing to me...what the heck do I eat? She said eat anything just don't lose weight. Now eating a tomato gives me anxiety lol! What should I do?

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    hi
    i ate anything i wanted while i was going through chemo i think she said no c and e because some oncologist dont want vitamins taken during chemo.just eat what you feel like eating and drink lots of water and rest.

best of luck to you!

:O) teresa
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    teresa41 said:

hi
    i ate anything i wanted while i was going through chemo i think she said no c and e because some oncologist dont want vitamins taken during chemo.just eat what you feel like eating and drink lots of water and rest.

best of luck to you!

:O) teresa

yes eat what you want. try
    yes eat what you want. try not to gain or lose weight. I have had a tough time nutritionally and lost weight. although I needed to it is concerning to me. They dont want you to take antioxidants. but getting nutrition through food is good
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Hi, The American Cancer
    Hi, The American Cancer Society has a booklet "Nutrition for the Person with Cancer during Treatment" A guide for Patients and Families. It has everything in it. What to eat and what to avoid. It really helped me when nothing tasted good. Hope it helps.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    chemo now
    I am having chemo now and i eat what every i want to eat don't taste anything taste is gone south the doctor did get upset with me because i lost 2pounds in one week, so they have me eating every 4hours i eat a lot of fruit. enjoy it while you can taste it right now i am eating on a memory...lol..what i know it should taste like.girl power
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Salty
    Hello and Welcome!
    Don't let food make you anxious. Alot of times our Oncologists tell us not to take certain things because there is the chance that the Cancer will feed off of it. Do you know what your Chemo cocktail is yet? I had Taxotere & Carboplatin. I lost my taste buds and developed mouth sores so it became extremely frustrating trying to find something that not only didn't burn, but that I could even taste. Chemo can also make you lose your appetite. I drank Chocolate Boosts alot and it helped keep my counts up, along with the Neulasta shot. My weight fluctuated alot, but nothing drastic. You may also want to avoid foods that may constipate you or give you diarrhea. It will mostly be trial & error as to what you can tolerate eating. What was recommended to me were foods like: Bananas, cottage cheese, potatoes, white rice, noodles, eggs, yogurt, jello, pudding, popsicles, fruit,..etc...soft foods. Make sure you drink ALOT of water!! You can even drink Gatorade, tea, GingerAle (no fizz)& apple juice. It is also suggested to use plastic forks & spoons to avoid the metallic taste. Hope this helps. Hope your first treatment goes well, let us know how you are doing.
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Sher43009 said:

Hi, The American Cancer
    Hi, The American Cancer Society has a booklet "Nutrition for the Person with Cancer during Treatment" A guide for Patients and Families. It has everything in it. What to eat and what to avoid. It really helped me when nothing tasted good. Hope it helps.

Welcome, Salty
    I was just getting ready to post about the "Nutrition for the Person with Cancer During Treatment" booklet, but Sher beat me to it!

I kept it by my bed during my entire treatment, and referred to it all the time -- it's just invaluable. Just call the ACS, they will send it to you completely free of charge.

Traci
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Cat64 said:

Salty
    Hello and Welcome!
    Don't let food make you anxious. Alot of times our Oncologists tell us not to take certain things because there is the chance that the Cancer will feed off of it. Do you know what your Chemo cocktail is yet? I had Taxotere & Carboplatin. I lost my taste buds and developed mouth sores so it became extremely frustrating trying to find something that not only didn't burn, but that I could even taste. Chemo can also make you lose your appetite. I drank Chocolate Boosts alot and it helped keep my counts up, along with the Neulasta shot. My weight fluctuated alot, but nothing drastic. You may also want to avoid foods that may constipate you or give you diarrhea. It will mostly be trial & error as to what you can tolerate eating. What was recommended to me were foods like: Bananas, cottage cheese, potatoes, white rice, noodles, eggs, yogurt, jello, pudding, popsicles, fruit,..etc...soft foods. Make sure you drink ALOT of water!! You can even drink Gatorade, tea, GingerAle (no fizz)& apple juice. It is also suggested to use plastic forks & spoons to avoid the metallic taste. Hope this helps. Hope your first treatment goes well, let us know how you are doing.
    Hugz,
    Cathy

the way it was explained to me....
    is that the antioxidants work so well that they could "attach" to your cancer cells and protect them from the chemo being sent in to kill them. I went off all antioxidants until after chemo and then I'll go on the full steam. My onc, who is a 17 year BC survivor believes that during chemo just eat whatever you can, and afterward do all the "cancer diet" stuff to keep it away. Mostly fresh veges and fruits, less red meat, exercise!
    Even the vitamins are put on hold for a while. I feel good but I make sure to eat the right foods every day to make up for no vitamin tablets.
    Good luck!