Neulasta

Zhentup
Zhentup Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Because my white blood cells took a drastic nosedive the second week after my first treatment (but bounced back the 3rd so it didn't delay treatment) the doc has prescribed Neulasta. I've read all about the side effects and such but I noticed there is a warning about taking it while taking Lithium.

I've had a long term, 30+ years fighting depression. It wasn't until last year that a doctor prescribed Lithium as a partner to Zoloft. It's a combination that finally worked!!! It's been a fight I don't wish to have to fight again. I'm assuming my oncologist, whom I was VERY clear about this fight, has taken into consideration. Because the depression is a HUGE quality of life issue for me, I always make my doctors understand how I feel about the possibility of messing with those drugs that work.

I just wondered if anyone has taken this combination of medications and if there were any side effects. I realize that dosages of each makes a difference so no 2 cases are the same.

Thanks to you all,
Leanne

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    leanne I dont take lithium
    leanne I dont take lithium but I do take zoloft and I also get the neulasta shots. We are all so different with side effects. I just finished A/C and had my first taxol infusion on 12/28. I found with A/C and neulasta that I could cry at a drop of a hat and was more sensitive than usual. I have not had these side effects thus far with the taxol and neulasta.

I'm wishing you the very best outcome with your treatment. I have found it takes some trial and error to figure out what actually works for each of us. Best wishes. Please post when you can to let us know how all of this works for you.
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    hi... I too take neulesta
    hi... I too take neulesta and when diagnosed started wellbutrin for deprression I have been really good had more side effects from chemo... had sore achey bones but Dr put me on neuronton for bone pain to help prevent it.. hope this helps a bit xoxoxoxxo Lisa
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    natly15 said:

leanne I dont take lithium
    leanne I dont take lithium but I do take zoloft and I also get the neulasta shots. We are all so different with side effects. I just finished A/C and had my first taxol infusion on 12/28. I found with A/C and neulasta that I could cry at a drop of a hat and was more sensitive than usual. I have not had these side effects thus far with the taxol and neulasta.

I'm wishing you the very best outcome with your treatment. I have found it takes some trial and error to figure out what actually works for each of us. Best wishes. Please post when you can to let us know how all of this works for you.

I can't figure it out...
    Natly, can you tell me what A/C means? I must be brain dead today because nothing is making sense. Does it represent drug names? or is something wrong w/ your A/C air conditioner ?? Just kidding about that last statement - got to insert humor sometime. I'm new so maybe I'll learn more w/ your help. Thanks
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Jacque101 said:

I can't figure it out...
    Natly, can you tell me what A/C means? I must be brain dead today because nothing is making sense. Does it represent drug names? or is something wrong w/ your A/C air conditioner ?? Just kidding about that last statement - got to insert humor sometime. I'm new so maybe I'll learn more w/ your help. Thanks

Many of us take the chemo
    Many of us take the chemo c.ocktail TAC...Taxotere, Adriamycin and Cytoxin. So the A/C part, of course is the Adriamycin and Cytoxin! Unfortunately, we all learn the abbreviations about cancer and diagnosis, and staging and treatment, etc etc etc. :-(

But these drugs do wreak havoc with our cycles and gebnerally throw us into chemo induced menopause~so perhaps a configuation of the Air/Conditioner is also in order!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941

hi... I too take neulesta
    hi... I too take neulesta and when diagnosed started wellbutrin for deprression I have been really good had more side effects from chemo... had sore achey bones but Dr put me on neuronton for bone pain to help prevent it.. hope this helps a bit xoxoxoxxo Lisa

Lisa is neuronton the
    Lisa is neuronton the correct spelling for your medication? I'd like to know more about it because I had terrible pain after taxol.
  • Jacque101
    Jacque101 Member Posts: 75
    chenheart said:

Many of us take the chemo
    Many of us take the chemo c.ocktail TAC...Taxotere, Adriamycin and Cytoxin. So the A/C part, of course is the Adriamycin and Cytoxin! Unfortunately, we all learn the abbreviations about cancer and diagnosis, and staging and treatment, etc etc etc. :-(

But these drugs do wreak havoc with our cycles and gebnerally throw us into chemo induced menopause~so perhaps a configuation of the Air/Conditioner is also in order!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks Chen for the cocktail
    Thanks Chen for the cocktail info. Now it makes sense to me. I'll also be getting the TAC, but for today, I need the heat turned up then the A/C dial moved to colder. I've heard it called "your own private summer". Hope it ends soon, as I have changed clothes many times each day. Layering clothes is a good thing.
  • Zhentup
    natly15 said:

Lisa is neuronton the
    Lisa is neuronton the correct spelling for your medication? I'd like to know more about it because I had terrible pain after taxol.

Finally feel better
    Just an update: I had the Neulasta shot around noon on Saturday. Sunday AM I started to feel the effects-bone aching, muscle pain all over-very much like the arthritis pain (before a bad storm system) and fibromyalsia pain I have when all is normal. I had thought it might be a real treat to have the steroids in the chemo cocktail knock out my usual pains! I got them in spades with this Neulasta shot. Today I feel better because I was finally able to sleep all the way through the night. The bone pain is still there but when I'm rested I can put up with a lot. I think I've reached the turning point so hopefully I'll have a couple of weeks of "normal" before we have to face this again. I will certainly ask if there's anything I can take-even if it's just something to help me sleep for the 2-3 nights. Neurontin was once prescribed to me for the fibromyalsia. It made a difference but I found it to be rather expensive. Since I don't have insurance and am on Social Security Disability (no Medicare yet) anything but WalMart's drug deals are too much for me to handle right now.

Anyway, I've rounded the corner from the pain from the Neulasta shot and am cruising until it comes up again!
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Zhentup said:

Finally feel better
    Just an update: I had the Neulasta shot around noon on Saturday. Sunday AM I started to feel the effects-bone aching, muscle pain all over-very much like the arthritis pain (before a bad storm system) and fibromyalsia pain I have when all is normal. I had thought it might be a real treat to have the steroids in the chemo cocktail knock out my usual pains! I got them in spades with this Neulasta shot. Today I feel better because I was finally able to sleep all the way through the night. The bone pain is still there but when I'm rested I can put up with a lot. I think I've reached the turning point so hopefully I'll have a couple of weeks of "normal" before we have to face this again. I will certainly ask if there's anything I can take-even if it's just something to help me sleep for the 2-3 nights. Neurontin was once prescribed to me for the fibromyalsia. It made a difference but I found it to be rather expensive. Since I don't have insurance and am on Social Security Disability (no Medicare yet) anything but WalMart's drug deals are too much for me to handle right now.

Anyway, I've rounded the corner from the pain from the Neulasta shot and am cruising until it comes up again!

Leanne
    So glad you're feeling better already!

To help you sleep on the nights you are taking the steroids, my doctor Okayed me to take Tylenol PM. I only need one to get a really good night's rest. Ask your doctor if that will work for you.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36

Leanne
    So glad you're feeling better already!

To help you sleep on the nights you are taking the steroids, my doctor Okayed me to take Tylenol PM. I only need one to get a really good night's rest. Ask your doctor if that will work for you.

Take care,
    Cindy

claritin for bone pain
    Hi! I learnedby searching this great network that Claritin relieves the bone pain from
    the neulasta shot, though I'm not sure anyone knows why. I was bedridden and in agony from that shot, and I'm so grateful to whoever figured this one out, because it really works for me.
    I don't know anything about it's interaction with lithium though, checking with your doctor, (especially if they call you back!) is usually a good idea. Good luck to you, and us all!
  • Zhentup
    cantthink said:

claritin for bone pain
    Hi! I learnedby searching this great network that Claritin relieves the bone pain from
    the neulasta shot, though I'm not sure anyone knows why. I was bedridden and in agony from that shot, and I'm so grateful to whoever figured this one out, because it really works for me.
    I don't know anything about it's interaction with lithium though, checking with your doctor, (especially if they call you back!) is usually a good idea. Good luck to you, and us all!

Thank you so much
    I want to thank everyone for the suggestions and comments. I hope we all know just how much it helps to know there are others out there who are dealing with the same things even if not exactly the same. AND you are all so helpful!

I appreciate the reminder about Claritin and the suggestion of Tylenol PM. I have blood work tomorrow and will ask my Onc nurse about both of them.

Thanks everyone!
    Leanne
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    Backache from Neulasta
    Hi Leanne,

I can imagine you are very strong about holding onto that Lithium/Zoloft combo that works so well for you. Sounds like your onc. understood your situation, and it's OK to take the Neulasta. Will you get it as a 1-time shot after each chemo? Everyone one of us is different, but the Neulasta handed me a major backache for a few days! I have been managing it with 2 extra-strengh Tylenol every 7-8 hours and a heating pad. Someone else mentioned Tylenol PM, which I take at night and I use the heating pad on low, and sleep OK.
    Seems like we learn a new lesson/strategy everyday as we go through this. I'm sure you'll tolerate the Neulasta, just talk to your onc. about what analgesics (and dosage/freq.) are OK to take if you have pain. You may not even have it : ))

Hang in there girl. You WILL get thru it!
    Hugs, Sally
  • Zhentup
    sallyf said:

Backache from Neulasta
    Hi Leanne,

I can imagine you are very strong about holding onto that Lithium/Zoloft combo that works so well for you. Sounds like your onc. understood your situation, and it's OK to take the Neulasta. Will you get it as a 1-time shot after each chemo? Everyone one of us is different, but the Neulasta handed me a major backache for a few days! I have been managing it with 2 extra-strengh Tylenol every 7-8 hours and a heating pad. Someone else mentioned Tylenol PM, which I take at night and I use the heating pad on low, and sleep OK.
    Seems like we learn a new lesson/strategy everyday as we go through this. I'm sure you'll tolerate the Neulasta, just talk to your onc. about what analgesics (and dosage/freq.) are OK to take if you have pain. You may not even have it : ))

Hang in there girl. You WILL get thru it!
    Hugs, Sally

Yes, Neulasta after each chemo
    I just saw my oncology nurse and she doesn't have a problem with the Claritin before the Neulasta shot, she just hadn't heard about it before. I figure it can't hurt!

I always try to let my doctors know what's important to me when dealing with my health. I make it a point to let them know that they are the coaches but I own the team. It gives me a sense of being in control when they are making their suggestions and such, because as the owner of the team I can fire the coach if I think it's necessary. I've never had a doctor take offense to it and they appreciate that I plan to keep an active role in my treatments.

It is so important to me to be clear with them especially about the drugs I've finally figured out work for me and not wanting to have to got through another seek and find or have to suffer without them for a time. Quality of life is a very important factor for me and I won't compromise that for the sake of any doctor's ego.

I will say that the group of doctors I have now are quite young and don't seem to have that God complex the way older doctors can tend to. Mind you, I'm not putting all doctors in the same group, it's just been my experience.

Take care,
    Leanne
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    natly15 said:

Lisa is neuronton the

hi natly
    hi the correct spelling is neurontin or the other name is gabapentin 300mg :) xo Lisa
  • cher1949
    cher1949 Member Posts: 4
    Zhentup said:

Yes, Neulasta after each chemo
    I just saw my oncology nurse and she doesn't have a problem with the Claritin before the Neulasta shot, she just hadn't heard about it before. I figure it can't hurt!

I always try to let my doctors know what's important to me when dealing with my health. I make it a point to let them know that they are the coaches but I own the team. It gives me a sense of being in control when they are making their suggestions and such, because as the owner of the team I can fire the coach if I think it's necessary. I've never had a doctor take offense to it and they appreciate that I plan to keep an active role in my treatments.

It is so important to me to be clear with them especially about the drugs I've finally figured out work for me and not wanting to have to got through another seek and find or have to suffer without them for a time. Quality of life is a very important factor for me and I won't compromise that for the sake of any doctor's ego.

I will say that the group of doctors I have now are quite young and don't seem to have that God complex the way older doctors can tend to. Mind you, I'm not putting all doctors in the same group, it's just been my experience.

Take care,
    Leanne

neulasta
    I took Neulasta in shot form after my chemo almost 6 years ago. Kept me out of further hospital stays . The bones did ache but no one said Breast Cancer was a walk in the park.
    I am still alive today. Happy and Fluffy... God helps us make the decisions we need to make... rely on your strength and mind and don't lay down... keep moving. I worked 6 hours a day during chemo so I would let the darn thing get to me. Only had one cry day... not bad!
    Just yell TAWANDA!!!
  • hairmary
    hairmary Member Posts: 2
    Neulasta
    I did my first round of chemo last Friday. I made it through the weekend fine. By Monday morning I felt like I had a drug hangover and I was tired. Monday morning I got the Neulasta and within 2 hours I was on my way down hill. By the middle of the night I was praying for hours that this too would pass. I have never experienced such horrible pain in my entire life. And of course they tell you that there is a small percentage of people that are affected this way but one never thinks that they are going to be one of those people. If in fact I had read this I might or might not have taken the Claritin. I still haven't tried that because I just read it a minute ago. It is now Saturday I had the shot on Monday. I had to go yesterday to the oncologist and they gave me an IV of Dolamine and one of nausea medicine because I had literally lost 5 pds since Monday throwing up and vomiting and I also got fluids to hydrate me. I was a mess and believe me it was NOT expected by any stretch. I am a very fit athletic person that before this was teaching 4 spinning classes a week. I had plans to be teaching on Monday the 18th until this week happened to me! So if Clariton is something they agree to....take it. I also have changed my regime so that I get the shot on Friday after chemo instead of on Monday after Friday. And my doctor is going to give me a different alternative next time. They said this should NEVER happen....and it did so now all I can hope for is that the decisions they are making based on what just happened are going to make the difference for the next round. I had to cancel my entire work week this week which cost me a fortune! Not to mention that over a weaks period it beats you down. So it is my recommendation at the first sign of major bone pain call your doctor and ask him for something like Dolamine and oxycodone....the narcotics are the only thing that take it away completely and even if you prefer not to take that it allows your body to rest which is VERY important. Because recovering is an entirely other aspect of this whole situation after you find a remedy!

I hope this helps and I don't want to scare you just prepare you because if it does happen to you, you will want to have a support system around to help because you will be worthless until it passes which they have no idea how long that will be because it is different for everyone! My coctail is Adriamycin, Cytoxan, and Taxotere

The adriamycin is the toughest one of the whole package. Even without bone pain you need quite a few days of good rest to build yourself back from the effects of these drugs. This too shall pass!
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    hairmary said:

Neulasta
    I did my first round of chemo last Friday. I made it through the weekend fine. By Monday morning I felt like I had a drug hangover and I was tired. Monday morning I got the Neulasta and within 2 hours I was on my way down hill. By the middle of the night I was praying for hours that this too would pass. I have never experienced such horrible pain in my entire life. And of course they tell you that there is a small percentage of people that are affected this way but one never thinks that they are going to be one of those people. If in fact I had read this I might or might not have taken the Claritin. I still haven't tried that because I just read it a minute ago. It is now Saturday I had the shot on Monday. I had to go yesterday to the oncologist and they gave me an IV of Dolamine and one of nausea medicine because I had literally lost 5 pds since Monday throwing up and vomiting and I also got fluids to hydrate me. I was a mess and believe me it was NOT expected by any stretch. I am a very fit athletic person that before this was teaching 4 spinning classes a week. I had plans to be teaching on Monday the 18th until this week happened to me! So if Clariton is something they agree to....take it. I also have changed my regime so that I get the shot on Friday after chemo instead of on Monday after Friday. And my doctor is going to give me a different alternative next time. They said this should NEVER happen....and it did so now all I can hope for is that the decisions they are making based on what just happened are going to make the difference for the next round. I had to cancel my entire work week this week which cost me a fortune! Not to mention that over a weaks period it beats you down. So it is my recommendation at the first sign of major bone pain call your doctor and ask him for something like Dolamine and oxycodone....the narcotics are the only thing that take it away completely and even if you prefer not to take that it allows your body to rest which is VERY important. Because recovering is an entirely other aspect of this whole situation after you find a remedy!

I hope this helps and I don't want to scare you just prepare you because if it does happen to you, you will want to have a support system around to help because you will be worthless until it passes which they have no idea how long that will be because it is different for everyone! My coctail is Adriamycin, Cytoxan, and Taxotere

The adriamycin is the toughest one of the whole package. Even without bone pain you need quite a few days of good rest to build yourself back from the effects of these drugs. This too shall pass!

Neulasta
    My cocktail is also TAC which I will begin tomorrow, then I will opt to have my treatments on Fridays so I will take off treatment Fridays and the following Monday. I will definitely post how the cocktail and shot affects me.

rene9
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    cantthink said:

claritin for bone pain

Claritin Dosage
    Does anyone know what Claritin dosage is being used for the Neulasta back pain? Do you take one the night before the Neulasta shot and one the next morning, or what? When I went for a blood test, I mentioned it to my onc. She hadn't heard about using the Claritin, but was very interested/open about learning more. Any literature out there?