My Sister

Noodle18
Noodle18 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! My sister had just been diagnosed w/ breast cancer and has decided upon a double mastectomy. She is currently undergoing all tests need so that her surgery can be scheduled. She lives half way across the country and being so far away from her I am wondering what my family and I can do to best support her and her family on her journey. My parents will fly out for the surgery, we've discussed having family members fly out to care for her and her family, etc. I need to know what would be best for her, what should we do, what should we not do. Thanks so much.

Comments

• TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Sorry to hear
    I am sorry to hear about your sister. This site will give you a wealth of knowledge and understanding to what she and your family will begin to go through as you take this journey with her. Support is a major key in the battle. If you cannot be there call her a couple times a week to see how she is doing. Cards are really nice too. If you are able to be there even for a short time see if you can cook a bunch of meals that can be frozen and pulled out and popped in the oven. Hugs, kisses and a good cry is healthy too. You may want to ask her if there is anything you can do for her. Keep reading the site and posting your questions, everyone here is wonderful and very helpful.
    Tracey
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    TLynn0102 said:

Sorry to hear
    I am sorry to hear about your sister. This site will give you a wealth of knowledge and understanding to what she and your family will begin to go through as you take this journey with her. Support is a major key in the battle. If you cannot be there call her a couple times a week to see how she is doing. Cards are really nice too. If you are able to be there even for a short time see if you can cook a bunch of meals that can be frozen and pulled out and popped in the oven. Hugs, kisses and a good cry is healthy too. You may want to ask her if there is anything you can do for her. Keep reading the site and posting your questions, everyone here is wonderful and very helpful.
    Tracey

Sister
    I am so sorry that your sister has been diagnosed. It sounds like she has a good support group to help her through. If she has to have chemo (which she will find out after surgery), that will be a toughest time for her, although surgery is awful, too. My husband was here to take care of me but the rest of my family live far away. My sisters and children took turns coming to help throughout chemo, even though they all work. They spread out their visits and stayed for 3-5 days. This helped my husband get some down time and helped me take my mind off the side effects. One of my sisters, who I'm very close to, called and continues to call me every day. If I was too sick, we would just talk for a minute or so, it helped so much to be able to complain to someone other than my husband. My kids also called everyday during surgeries and chemo. It made a huge difference in my recovery. Just try to be brave and stick with her. You sound like you are there for her already.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Sister
    hi,she is lucky to have the support of family.I would ask her what she needs you to do for her.tell her not to feel bad that you want to help.Their is so many things that could help.she will need help in the house work,cooking.Make sure she has what she needs after surgery.Taking her for appointments to the dr.Listning to her if and when she wants to talk about it.maybe money to help if she needs.I started writting a journel when i first started this journey.It helped me alott to writte my thoughts down.I hope this helps.Keep us posted on how she is doing please.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • Noodle18
    Noodle18 Member Posts: 2
    ppurdin said:

Sister
    hi,she is lucky to have the support of family.I would ask her what she needs you to do for her.tell her not to feel bad that you want to help.Their is so many things that could help.she will need help in the house work,cooking.Make sure she has what she needs after surgery.Taking her for appointments to the dr.Listning to her if and when she wants to talk about it.maybe money to help if she needs.I started writting a journel when i first started this journey.It helped me alott to writte my thoughts down.I hope this helps.Keep us posted on how she is doing please.Love and Prayers.(Pat).

Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your responses to my request for help. I've sent a link to this site to my sister and suggested that when she is ready, she should register. I was moved to tears by your responses not only to my questions but also by the support that is provided to survivors and their families/friends. Bless you all.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Noodle18 said:

Thank you so much for your
    Thank you so much for your responses to my request for help. I've sent a link to this site to my sister and suggested that when she is ready, she should register. I was moved to tears by your responses not only to my questions but also by the support that is provided to survivors and their families/friends. Bless you all.

I am "the sister"
    My family is over seas and I have to tell you what helped me most was their
    emotional support. I would love to have them near but it is not possible.
    So skype keeps me afloat, we video conference, I saw my brother for the
    first time in 15 years, it was amazing, I cried.

Just let her know you are there for her. Call and check and above all LISTEN.

Ayse