going back to work

mberg
mberg Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am going back to work the week after next, and wonder how work was for you after surgery?I had a double mastectomy and have expanders in now and starting rads first week of feb.I work in health care,drawing blood in a lab, and am very nervous about going back.I feel pretty sore still, I think i pulled a muscle in my back so i am slow moving right now.I just don't want people staring and whispering I guess.They were fine when my hair fell out, but now I have these weird balloons that keep me form having a lot of mobility.Any advice? Thanks,monica

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Monica
    I have not returned to work yet, so I can offer a common sense opinion only. First of all, please do not worry about return to work. Hopefully your peers and supervisors will be supportive and understanding. They were good to you during Chemo, most likely they will help you now as well. If you have a chance to take a medical leave, you probably will be a better by staying another week or two at home to achieve complete recovery. Do not put too much pressure on yourself.
    Hugs
    new flower
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

Monica
    I have not returned to work yet, so I can offer a common sense opinion only. First of all, please do not worry about return to work. Hopefully your peers and supervisors will be supportive and understanding. They were good to you during Chemo, most likely they will help you now as well. If you have a chance to take a medical leave, you probably will be a better by staying another week or two at home to achieve complete recovery. Do not put too much pressure on yourself.
    Hugs
    new flower

Hey Monica
    Your hair looks

Hey Monica
    Your hair looks cute! I didn't have any problem working post surgery and I worked through rads too. The only thing I didn't work through was chemo, but I'm a teacher and I had it last summer when we were out of school, so I was lucky. I had to do the lst 2 fter school strted, but it was ok.. I did my rads first thing in the morning and then went on to work, and it was fine. I did have some nasty burns the last week and a couple of weeks post rads., the expander hurt like hell from the muscle contracting.... some people get very tired from rads though, so you might try for shortened shift. Hang in there kiddo...
    Dee
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    I want to wish you good luck
    I want to wish you good luck Monica! I know that you will be just fine!

Angie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Monica
    Hugs
    new flower

I hope that when you do
    I hope that when you do return to work that everyone is kind and patient with you. Just take it slow. Just remember all that you have been thru. Good luck!

Megan