Masectomy with reconstruction

Options
Kit1018
Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all,
I posted this past week about having a prophylatic masectomy with reconstruction.
I was wondering if you guys could do me a favor and tell me your experience story from the time you walked in to surgery through your hospitalization and recovery. Also if you can tell me about anything that helped you recover from special clothes ect. Do I need to buy a special shirt to hold my drains ect. I am tentaviley scheduled for Feb 5th. I find out for sure on Monday.
Thankyou ahead of time.
Kit

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Hi Kit. I am sure someone
    Hi Kit. I am sure someone will post that has gone thru what you will. I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't offer much info. Just want to wish you good luck!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    What type of reconstruction
    What type of reconstruction are you having?
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    free Jacki jackets
    My cancer center gave me a Jacki Jacket.The desription and informtion is on mycsn under resources. I believe the jacket will be helpful when I go for my surgery.
    It is fron ALittleEasierRecoveryDOTcom
    Peace
  • Kit1018
    Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I am going to have the tram
    I am going to have the tram flap I believe. I find out Monday but that is the type of reconstruction I want. I will check out the jackie jacket.
    what type of surgery are you having and when?
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Kit1018 said:

I am going to have the tram
    I am going to have the tram flap I believe. I find out Monday but that is the type of reconstruction I want. I will check out the jackie jacket.
    what type of surgery are you having and when?

DIEP Flap
    I had the DIEP Flap, similar to the tram. Recovery is okay. You will find that sleeping in the recliner the first couple of days after your home is helpful. I moved to the couch about a week later. Key is lots of rest, I slept a ton the first week home. When they tell you to start lifting your arms start in the shower and walk your fingers up the walls. Listen to what the doc says and ask for help. I am stubborn but listened very closely to what they told me I could and could not do and am glad I did. I wore button front pj's and rolled the waist of the pants down so they say under my incision. Lots of pillows to put under your arms, I also had a teddy bear to hug while laying down. Be sure to have rubber gloves on had to use when you are caring for your incisions at home. I sponge is helpful for bathing as well. The worst part is the first couple days and then the drains of course. Once the drains are gone it gets a lot easier. Talk to your doctor about pain meds and make sure they give you enough to go home with. I am thrilled with the results of my surgery and am sure you will be too.