I'm new here - diagnosed 9/09 HER neu 2 pos

SunnieC
SunnieC Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good morning all - I was diagnosed Sept 09 - started chemo trials Oct 09 - started the 2nd phase Jan 4th - most days I do okay but have had my share of pity parties - I have an unbelievable wonderful husband, daughter and friends - but sometimes I need more - I've been up since 4 this morning and finally found this site at about 8 this morning - Is there anyone else in the denver/metro area on this site? I would like to have a few more resources locally - best wishes to all - Sunnie

Comments

• teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    welcome
    hi i just wanted to welcome you there are some amazing people on this board and i think we are all allowed pity parties ive had many myself im glad you found this site it is very helpful.im not from the denver/metro area but there might be some that are.

:0) teresa
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    It's scary to feel alone
    DH, family, friends--all can be wonderful sources of support, but if they haven't been through this, they never quite truly understand, do they? I know my DH tries and is wonderful, too, but he's not the one with cancer, he's not the one whose whole life plan has been suddenly and rudely disrupted.

I'm not in Denver, but I can say that this site is amazing for the emotional support and energy offered. Where else could you go at 4 a.m. to express your feelings? You'd have to worry about waking someone you know up if you called them then, but here you can vent and write out everything you're feeling without concern that you're disturbing anyone.

I was also diagnosed this past Sept--officially 9/30/09--and I'm now in chemo. I actually started chemo Jan 4, so it sounds like I'm one phase behind you. I'm triple negative.

Have you checked out the cancer support groups at the local hospitals? There are so many hospitals and breast care centers in Denver that there's bound to be a support group that's fairly convenient for you. Also, I found that when I told my church family, survivors came "out of the woodwork" to offer their support and encouragement. I've been amazed at how many people I know who have had breast cancer (and I didn't know it until now) or who have a family member who had cancer and who have some pretty good understanding of what's going on for you--and they can be less emotionally caught up in your journey because they're not YOUR family members (who have their own set of fears related to your beast).

Wishing you lots of good fortune and peace as you travel the new road ahead!
    Sandy
  • Darlene_Mays
    Darlene_Mays Member Posts: 20

It's scary to feel alone
    DH, family, friends--all can be wonderful sources of support, but if they haven't been through this, they never quite truly understand, do they? I know my DH tries and is wonderful, too, but he's not the one with cancer, he's not the one whose whole life plan has been suddenly and rudely disrupted.

I'm not in Denver, but I can say that this site is amazing for the emotional support and energy offered. Where else could you go at 4 a.m. to express your feelings? You'd have to worry about waking someone you know up if you called them then, but here you can vent and write out everything you're feeling without concern that you're disturbing anyone.

I was also diagnosed this past Sept--officially 9/30/09--and I'm now in chemo. I actually started chemo Jan 4, so it sounds like I'm one phase behind you. I'm triple negative.

Have you checked out the cancer support groups at the local hospitals? There are so many hospitals and breast care centers in Denver that there's bound to be a support group that's fairly convenient for you. Also, I found that when I told my church family, survivors came "out of the woodwork" to offer their support and encouragement. I've been amazed at how many people I know who have had breast cancer (and I didn't know it until now) or who have a family member who had cancer and who have some pretty good understanding of what's going on for you--and they can be less emotionally caught up in your journey because they're not YOUR family members (who have their own set of fears related to your beast).

Wishing you lots of good fortune and peace as you travel the new road ahead!
    Sandy

triple negative, too!
    Hi..I am newly diagnosed with trip.neg.breast cancer,and have had the surgery and sentinel node, and am awaiting chemo. This should begin in the next two weeks, and I am apprehensive to say the least. I am hoping to get some comfort and insight from these boards, and from others who have walked this walk.
    Thanks for the insight! Darlene
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Just want to say hi and
    Just want to say hi and welcome you Sunnie! I am not from your area, but, I am sure if anyone is, they will message you. Good luck to you!

Megan
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Megan M said:

Just want to say hi and
    Just want to say hi and welcome you Sunnie! I am not from your area, but, I am sure if anyone is, they will message you. Good luck to you!

Megan

Sunnie
    I am HER2 neu positive as well. Herceptin is a wonderful medicine that targets the HER2 gene. It is not like chemo.
    I was on A/C 4 treatments for 4 cycles and then Taxol w/Herceptin once a week for 12 cycles and now will be on Herceptin until the end of August once every three weeks. I started my chemo treatments on March 10, 2009 and I never had a problem with nausea or anything. I never lost weight but never gained it until recently and I think it is because of my thyroid being out of whack.

I wish you the best in your journey down this road that some have to take. We will survive and overcome this.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • SunnieC
    SunnieC Member Posts: 37

Sunnie
    I am HER2 neu positive as well. Herceptin is a wonderful medicine that targets the HER2 gene. It is not like chemo.
    I was on A/C 4 treatments for 4 cycles and then Taxol w/Herceptin once a week for 12 cycles and now will be on Herceptin until the end of August once every three weeks. I started my chemo treatments on March 10, 2009 and I never had a problem with nausea or anything. I never lost weight but never gained it until recently and I think it is because of my thyroid being out of whack.

I wish you the best in your journey down this road that some have to take. We will survive and overcome this.

Hugs,
    Margo

Thank you to everyone
    I haven't had any nausea issues until last week when I got a viral infection - I work in the public so can pick up anything :( - the doc said I was too sick for my drugs so i skipped the week - went in yesterday for my drugs and had no problems other than the "normal" sleeping for 8 hrs afterwards - I felt great when I woke up at 8:30 last night but was awake all night so decided I wouldn't go to work today and just get things done around here (or not!) in between naps! I decided I needed the day for me and after reading so many wonderful posts, gave myself permission to have a great day off...

I hope everyone is doing well today ... lots of {{{{{hugs}}}}} - Sunnie
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    hello and welcome.
    Hi,I am glad you found this sight.I am from Ohio so sorry I can,t help you their.Good luck to you.keep us posted on how you are doing please.Pat.