New and Nervous

Comments

• jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Welcome!
    There are lots of women on this site that will be able to support you as you travel this new road. They've ALL been there! I appreciate being able to come to the site any time, read the posts and know that I'm not alone in my fears and concerns. I also have gotten lots of my questions answered. I didn't have to have chemo, but will take tamoxifen beginning 27 Jan. I had a lumpectomy, negative nodes and was ordered 30 radiation treatments (only 4 left!).

There are lots of scary stories out there about cancer treatment. Take it one step at a time, take time to weigh your options/decisions. Everyone has to make their treatment decisions that are right for themselves and their lives. The most important thing to remember is that, whatever lays ahead...you will get thru it!

Your right, God is bigger than any cancer and He's on your side!

God Bless....
    Julie
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hello and welcome.
    Welcome to the boards.You will find allot of support here.They have been a blessing to me and many others.I have just finished Rads. I had Chemo 2surgerys.And I just started armidex today.Five yrs. I will be taking it,I usually am one to have bad side effects from meds.So I have been worried about taking it.I will try because I want to do every thing I can to fight this beast of cancer.And yes God is stronger then Cancer.You have a good attitude,I think you will be fine.keep us posted on how you are doing.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • blackroze1000
    blackroze1000 Member Posts: 50
    Another Arimidex Question
    If I start taking Arimidex and then begin to get bad side effects, can I stop taking it and get chemo instead? Has anyone posed this question to their doctor? Any answers would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Elaine
  • blackroze1000
    susie09 said:

Happy birthday to your
    Happy birthday to your daughter Elaine! And, keep thinking positive!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Thanks, Susie!
    You're very sweet -- Because her Bday fell on a school night and we really couldn't take her anywhere except out to eat, this weekend we're going bowling, miniature golfing, and to an arcade. Sounds exhausting, but she's full of lots of energy at this age. If I could bottle it up and sell it, I'd be a millionnaire. =) Thanks again!

Elaine
  • blackroze1000
    Dot53 said:

I just began taking Arimidex
    I just began taking Arimidex this week and am supposed to take it for 5 years. I didn't really want to after hearing about all of the side effects but am afraid not to. I spoke to my general practioner about the drug and my concerns as he is also a pharmacist and he said to try it on a trial basis and to ask the onocologist about the long range studies of the drug. He also felt that two years on this drug was long enough... so we'll see what happens... so far no side effects but I have only been on the drug for 3 days..

Best wishes,
    Dot

Best of Luck!
    I wish you much luck with the Arimidex. If you have any side effects, please let me know, OK? It's great that your doctor is also a pharmacist -- good choice!

Elaine
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328

If I start taking Arimidex and then begin to get bad side effects, can I stop taking it and get chemo instead? Has anyone posed this question to their doctor? Any answers would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Elaine

Great Question for the Doctor!
    Hi, Elaine,

never having been in your situation, I can't answer directly. However, I think it is a great question to ask your doctor, just the way you phrased it here in the "If, then" format. Hypothetical questions are just as good and sometimes even better than other kinds of questions. Some more possible questions you might ask--

What are my options? What are the risks and benefits--ALL of them--for each of these options? If I choose __________, what would you predict for my chances of recurrence? (Do that for each option).

If you prefer, change "What are my options" to "You've told me about _______; are there any other options?" Then do the risks and benefits of each.

Hang in there!

Sandy
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member

Best of Luck!
    I wish you much luck with the Arimidex. If you have any side effects, please let me know, OK? It's great that your doctor is also a pharmacist -- good choice!

Elaine

Elaine
    Happy to.. I will add you as a friend that way I can send you a private email..

Dot
  • Dot53

Elaine

Elaine
    My oncologist told me I wasn't a candidate for chemo.. I posed the question you asked and was told if I had side effects from the Arimidex they would switch me to another type of hormone blocker. The doc said that they all have similar side effects..

Dot
  • blackroze1000

Great Question for the Doctor!
    Hi, Elaine,

never having been in your situation, I can't answer directly. However, I think it is a great question to ask your doctor, just the way you phrased it here in the "If, then" format. Hypothetical questions are just as good and sometimes even better than other kinds of questions. Some more possible questions you might ask--

What are my options? What are the risks and benefits--ALL of them--for each of these options? If I choose __________, what would you predict for my chances of recurrence? (Do that for each option).

If you prefer, change "What are my options" to "You've told me about _______; are there any other options?" Then do the risks and benefits of each.

Hang in there!

Sandy

Hi, Sandy
    I'm a little more than halfway through my "Breast Cancer for Dummies" book, and have compiled quite a few questions for the doctor. I'll make sure to write your suggestions down so I have it right in front of me. Thanks for the great tips!

Elaine
  • blackroze1000
    Dot53 said:

Elaine
    My oncologist told me I wasn't a candidate for chemo.. I posed the question you asked and was told if I had side effects from the Arimidex they would switch me to another type of hormone blocker. The doc said that they all have similar side effects..

Dot

Hi Dot
    Do you have to get shots every month for a few years, too? If so, do you have to wait a certain amount of time before going on the Arimidex?
  • Dot53

Hi Dot
    Do you have to get shots every month for a few years, too? If so, do you have to wait a certain amount of time before going on the Arimidex?

Hi Elaine
    No, I do not get any shots.. what are they for if I may ask?

Dot
  • blackroze1000
    Dot53 said:

Hi Elaine
    No, I do not get any shots.. what are they for if I may ask?

Dot

Hi Dot
    From what I understand, it's for premenopausal women. It's a shot they give you to shut down your ovaries and push you into menopause.

Elaine
  • blackroze1000
    Test Results are In!
    It turns out I am not a candidate for chemmo. I will be taking the menopause shots once a month for 3 years. I will start taking Arimidex daily starting in 3 months and will be on them for 5 years. I start radiation next week and will be doing that for about 2-3 months. I will also be getting bone density tests, which I understand is no biggie. So now that I know what the plan is, I just want to get on with it. Since this is my second cancer (1st one was head/neck cancer), I sort of know what I'm in for when it comes to the radiation, although I'm hoping it will be quite a bit better. Last time I couldn't eat for months and had to have a stomach tube put in. (That was interesting!) Anyways, all the rest will be new treatment for me. The doctor assured me that they have had great success with Arimidex, and that it's been on the market for awhile (10 years or so). So we'll see what happens. I'm keeping the faith! Wish me luck, girls . . .

Elaine
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

Test Results are In!
    It turns out I am not a candidate for chemmo. I will be taking the menopause shots once a month for 3 years. I will start taking Arimidex daily starting in 3 months and will be on them for 5 years. I start radiation next week and will be doing that for about 2-3 months. I will also be getting bone density tests, which I understand is no biggie. So now that I know what the plan is, I just want to get on with it. Since this is my second cancer (1st one was head/neck cancer), I sort of know what I'm in for when it comes to the radiation, although I'm hoping it will be quite a bit better. Last time I couldn't eat for months and had to have a stomach tube put in. (That was interesting!) Anyways, all the rest will be new treatment for me. The doctor assured me that they have had great success with Arimidex, and that it's been on the market for awhile (10 years or so). So we'll see what happens. I'm keeping the faith! Wish me luck, girls . . .

Elaine

Congrats Elaine,
    No chemo, that's great. Sounds like a good plan. I didn't have rads but lots of girls on this site have and will be very helpful and knowledgeable about it. It's great finally knowing what's in the future isn't it? Good luck and keep everyone posted on your progress.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • blackroze1000
    Skeezie said:

Congrats Elaine,
    No chemo, that's great. Sounds like a good plan. I didn't have rads but lots of girls on this site have and will be very helpful and knowledgeable about it. It's great finally knowing what's in the future isn't it? Good luck and keep everyone posted on your progress.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Thank you, Judy!
    I'm very hopeful that everything will work out. I'm going to scope out this site for more info on this type of treatment to educate myself so I know what to expect. I'll keep everyone posted.

Elaine :)
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285

Thank you, Judy!
    I'm very hopeful that everything will work out. I'm going to scope out this site for more info on this type of treatment to educate myself so I know what to expect. I'll keep everyone posted.

Good New/Rads
    So pleased w/your good news. You'll likely find rads a breeze in comparison to your last experience! Skin reaction and fatigue, but NO problems w/appetite/nausea or anything of the sort.

Type in radiation in the search node, there was a string that was so informative I saved it to my favorites so I could reference before and while i was in treatment. Just finished my rads yesterday!

Good luck and God Bless...
    Julie
  • blackroze1000
    jbug said:

Good New/Rads
    So pleased w/your good news. You'll likely find rads a breeze in comparison to your last experience! Skin reaction and fatigue, but NO problems w/appetite/nausea or anything of the sort.

Type in radiation in the search node, there was a string that was so informative I saved it to my favorites so I could reference before and while i was in treatment. Just finished my rads yesterday!

Good luck and God Bless...
    Julie

Thanks, Julie!
    I will definitely type in "radiation" on this site to get the low down. And congratulations on finishing your rads -- good for you!

Elaine
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Test Results are In!

Elaine

Elaine, that's great news.
    Elaine, that's great news. Rads for bc are no where near what you experienced with the head/neck cancer. There will be no stomach tube needed. Just be sure to use the cream(s) recommended by your rads onco and you'll be done before you know it. I'm just starting Arimidex, too. Wishing you well as you continue treatment. Keep us informed and take care and celebrate your good news!!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Thank you, Judy!

So happy for you that you
    So happy for you that you don't have to do chemo. You will do fine with rads. There are so many of us that can help you thru them. Keep us posted!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Elaine, that's great news.
    Elaine, that's great news. Rads for bc are no where near what you experienced with the head/neck cancer. There will be no stomach tube needed. Just be sure to use the cream(s) recommended by your rads onco and you'll be done before you know it. I'm just starting Arimidex, too. Wishing you well as you continue treatment. Keep us informed and take care and celebrate your good news!!

Elaine,
    Just want to echo what MyTurn said -- radiation is a very localized treatment, so (with the exception of fatigue), the side effects are only to the area being radiated. You should have no problems eating or swallowing, since none of your eating/swallowing "equipment" will be receiving radiation.

During rads, I shared the waiting room with other patients who were having radiation for head/neck cancers, esophageal cancer, and breast cancer. We breast cancer people couldn't believe what the others were going through -- our side effects were nothing compared with theirs.

Traci