First Day back to work

rrogers34
rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Went back to work today. Did not make it the entire day. everyone was so nice and supportive, but I felt so weak and light headed I left at 3:00. Usually five. I broke down and balled about noon. I am going to go half days for awhile. I hate feeling so shakey and emotional. My poor husband. Tonight I made myself get on the treadmill, turned on my Christian music and Praised God. I did it for about 20 minutes which is about 19 minutes and 30 seconds longer than I thought I could. LOL. I feel better, but still shakey. Tomorrow I go for my weekly herceptin treatment. I cant wait to get this over with. I need strength only God can provide. I have only had one chemo treatment and I am already like this? emotional, a basket case............Hearing how each of you made it and had quality of life helps too. God Bless

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Be easy on yourself. This
    Be easy on yourself. This is not an easy walk. I applaud you for doing 20 minutes on the treadmill. Bravo!!! our emotions can do a bit of a roller coaster ride, particularly early on in treatment. Some of us become physically challenged with fatigue. We are all very different and I for one have not worked since I began chemo. I need to reserve all my energy for this fight. I'm older than a lot of gals on this website and I really believe that age along with other health factors play a part in how our bodies respond. Be kind to yourself, and conserve your emotional and physical energy. God bless you.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    natly15 said:

Be easy on yourself. This
    Be easy on yourself. This is not an easy walk. I applaud you for doing 20 minutes on the treadmill. Bravo!!! our emotions can do a bit of a roller coaster ride, particularly early on in treatment. Some of us become physically challenged with fatigue. We are all very different and I for one have not worked since I began chemo. I need to reserve all my energy for this fight. I'm older than a lot of gals on this website and I really believe that age along with other health factors play a part in how our bodies respond. Be kind to yourself, and conserve your emotional and physical energy. God bless you.

Wow, 20 minutes on the treadmill!
    I agree with Natly, take it easy and rest when you need to. As you go along you may need more rest and don't push yourself. I admire your spirit. I'm also older than most of you and C/T kicked my butt. Beginning with my 2nd cycle I was sick from Day 1 until it was time for the next cycle. My onc did everything known to man but it didn't help. Maybe cause I am older cause I could never have worked etc. This whole journey is scary and full of emotion but we do make it and you will too.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Skeezie said:

Wow, 20 minutes on the treadmill!
    I agree with Natly, take it easy and rest when you need to. As you go along you may need more rest and don't push yourself. I admire your spirit. I'm also older than most of you and C/T kicked my butt. Beginning with my 2nd cycle I was sick from Day 1 until it was time for the next cycle. My onc did everything known to man but it didn't help. Maybe cause I am older cause I could never have worked etc. This whole journey is scary and full of emotion but we do make it and you will too.

Hugs, Judy :-)

It's okay
    For most of us work sucks in general, 40 or more hours a week when you are healthy is trying but then you add in the illness and it feels like it sucks even more. :-) I worked through my chemo too and the first day back was the worst. I knew my co-workers supported me but it felt like they were all watching my every move. Then there was the actual work, that seemed foreign and confusing. It took me a couple of weeks to fully settle back into a routine (meaning I could sit at my desk and sort through my work) and I was frazzled and beat when I came home but after a while it did get easier. Cry when you want to, tell people you don't want to talk about you illness if you don't feel like it, enjoy the giggles when you can and if the work load is too much ask for some help. When you feel a little overwhelmed at your desk take a deep breath and go for a walk around the office. There are sooo many adjustments we make in our life when dealing with BC and returning to work is one of them. It takes a lot of time to adjust. I can say that I have a totally new outlook on what my job entails and on a daily basis I weigh out the big rocks over the little ones and accomplish the important things before the rest. When I come home I do what you do, exercise, it helps the happy hormones and allows you to forget the day. If you have the opportunity to listen to an IPod while you work take it with you, it helps a lot. Over time you will feel better about going to work and it will slide back into your routine but like everyone says, it takes time. Be patient and work when you can, if you can't make it a whole day then so be it. Remember you are battling an illness and that is your focus, you job comes second. You and your health are the most important thing right now. Your employer should be greatful you want to return to work while in treatment, it says a lot about your character and your attitude to fight the BC. Deep breaths and time, remember that. Take care and I hope you have a better day today.
    Hugs,
    Tracey

P.S. When I returned to work I made a promise to myself, I would always have flowers on my desk because they are pretty, smell good and cheer me up....they are there now and give me a lift when I need one.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Dont push too soon sweetie!
    Dont push too soon sweetie! It will all come back in due time. I know that's hard to hear ...I went gem mining with my bro while still on chemo! But you will get your strength back ...don't injure yourself in the meantime!
    Dee
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Back to work...
    Talk to your oncologist. You might need some help getting through this. I had never taken antidepressants but found that working and fighting bc was way more than I could handle. They put me on Lexapro and it has saved my sanity... I am done with chemo and surgery and radiation is next...then I plan to retire from my full time job this spring. YEAH !!!

Judy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    dyaneb123 said:

Dont push too soon sweetie!
    Dont push too soon sweetie! It will all come back in due time. I know that's hard to hear ...I went gem mining with my bro while still on chemo! But you will get your strength back ...don't injure yourself in the meantime!
    Dee

Just take it easy, one day
    Just take it easy, one day at a time. Sending you a big hug!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Sending love and prayers
    Sending love and prayers your way! Be good to yourself...
  • sallyf
    sallyf Member Posts: 33
    I'm anxious too!
    I'll go back to work a week after my 2nd chemo, and I'll bet the first day will be THE hardest! You are so brave, just to get out there and try! All the suggestions you've gotten on link are great...put things on your desk that make you feel happy, listen to music, drink your favorite juices, close the door and REST when you need to! Of course you cried,sweetie. It's such a tough journey, but you WILL get to the other side. We're praying for you : )
    Sally
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    sallyf said:

I'm anxious too!
    I'll go back to work a week after my 2nd chemo, and I'll bet the first day will be THE hardest! You are so brave, just to get out there and try! All the suggestions you've gotten on link are great...put things on your desk that make you feel happy, listen to music, drink your favorite juices, close the door and REST when you need to! Of course you cried,sweetie. It's such a tough journey, but you WILL get to the other side. We're praying for you : )
    Sally

I am
    Sending you hugs and good vibes!!!!!!!

Sue :)