Saline or Silicone???

sandycr
sandycr Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Need your thoughts on Saline or Silicone. I have tissue expanders in now and scheudled for the exchange on Monday-"Yikes". I thought I had made my decision to go with silicone but suddenly I'm feeling unsure of my decision. Did anyone have this last minute feeling, how did you make your final decision. Please help, anxiety has kicked in.

Sandy
double Mastectomy 10/06/09

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Mine--silicone
    Silicone is softer than saline. Saline will be hard like the expanders.
    Silicone feels almost like the real thing.

:)

Margo
  • sandycr

Mine--silicone
    Silicone is softer than saline. Saline will be hard like the expanders.
    Silicone feels almost like the real thing.

:)

Margo

Silicone
    I definitely want softer than the expanders.
    Thanks Margo

Sandy
  • Daramiss
    Daramiss Member Posts: 3
    silicone
    I just had my silicones put in 10/05/09. i was just like you undecided then spoke with a few survivors and Drs. its still early but so far so good. i'll be praying for you.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Daramiss said:

silicone
    I just had my silicones put in 10/05/09. i was just like you undecided then spoke with a few survivors and Drs. its still early but so far so good. i'll be praying for you.

Saline for me~~
    My reasons were for peace of mind, and due to the fact that i had a latisimus flap done~the implant is under a muscle which masks the "feel". It is not hard, I would say firmer, than silicone for sure. If I chose a silicone implant it would have required an mri yearly according to my doctor, to check for leakage. They are so well made these days that leakage is not common. They have a double layer of protection. So, as hard as it is to decide, and your time is narrowing down~go with what you and your doctor discuss. I am very happy with my results and my mind is at rest.
    I hope my information helps in some positive way.
    Melanie
  • cher1949
    cher1949 Member Posts: 4
    Saline
    Hi , I will be 6 years a new ( double) Had my replacements at same time as removal of breasts. They are just working fine! No nipples just replacements. They do get warm in Tucson in summer.... but no more bras!!!
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Sandy. I am facing the same
    Sandy. I am facing the same decision. I hope to have the exchange soon--tired of fillings and expanders. Both seem to have pros and cons. The nurses at the plastic surgeon's office is recommending silicone. I will be interested in your decision. Marilyn
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Silicone
    Hi Sandy... I just asked today and the doc said he only does silicone with expanders as they are softer to the touch..

Hope this helps...
    Dot
  • sandycr
    Dot53 said:

Silicone
    Hi Sandy... I just asked today and the doc said he only does silicone with expanders as they are softer to the touch..

Hope this helps...
    Dot

Going with Silicone
    Thanks ladies for your response. You have helped put me at ease (somewhat). I'm going to stick with my original decision,Silicone, and hope for the best. Oh, and I like the idea of no bras' for the summer. Thank you all and may God bless each of you.
  • geochick
    geochick Member Posts: 18 Member
    sandycr said:

Going with Silicone
    Thanks ladies for your response. You have helped put me at ease (somewhat). I'm going to stick with my original decision,Silicone, and hope for the best. Oh, and I like the idea of no bras' for the summer. Thank you all and may God bless each of you.

going with si too
    Hey, just wanted to comment that my ps recommends silicone for the natural feel. He says it's the new generation silicone that is almost like a solid gel that you could cut through and not leak out.

Sounds like you're just a month ahead of me.
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    i had tissue expanders in
    i had tissue expanders in for 10 months and they totally suck. Dec 17 I had my exchange with silicone implants. They are great! They lay nice and realistic looking and are so soft. I can even lay on my stomach again. Its a personal choice, but they recommend silicone because they are softer and less likely to see rippling ...