Dying Hair with Henna.

Options
ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,I had replys about dying our hair.And some wrotte to use Henna.Can I buy that at walmart?If not where do I get it.I think I have looked at this gray 1in. hair long enough.I probley should wait till it grows more.Thanks again.(Pat).

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Hey Pat
    Yes, you can buy Henna at Walmart or any drug store. They usually sell it right next to the coloring and bleach for hair. They probably sell it at health food stores too. Do you have a hair stylist? You could call them and have them do it for you. You will look beautiful!

Sue :)
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Hey Pat
    Yes, you can buy Henna at Walmart or any drug store. They usually sell it right next to the coloring and bleach for hair. They probably sell it at health food stores too. Do you have a hair stylist? You could call them and have them do it for you. You will look beautiful!

Sue :)

henna
    Thanks Sue,I will look for it tomorrow.I was hoping my hair would come in a pretty color.But it is a salt and pepper Gray.(Pat).
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    Options
    ppurdin said:

henna
    Thanks Sue,I will look for it tomorrow.I was hoping my hair would come in a pretty color.But it is a salt and pepper Gray.(Pat).

salt & pepper too!
    Pat,
    I've been thinking of coloring mine also - and mine is also about 1 1/2 inches salt & pepper (more salt I think)
    I work full time and still haven't "lost" my wigs - I never thought I was so vain but all this gray is not what I expected - although I am so thankful I have hair again! I was all ready to go natural but not sure now - I'll be anxious to see how you like the henna.
    -Jenny
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I have been dying my hair
    I have been dying my hair with henna for years. I have dark brown hair with streaks of gray and parts bleached by the sun. The henna adds a richnes and depth, the dark brown becomes a dark auborn and the gray and bleached parts a light auborn. It also conditions your hair.

I have always bought it at whole foods or an Indian store. It is very easy to do at home. Just mix the henna powder with water and let it sit for an hour or two. Then put it on your hair for 1 - 3 hrs after wash it out. If you hair is short this should be very easy. I have had mid length hair and I do it myself all the time although the shower ends up a mess.

Do becareful for two reasons:
    1.If you hair is light then don't leave it in too long as it can come out a bright orange.
    2.Not all products touted as henna are actually henna and some have other chemicals in them in addition to henna.

good luck and have fun. I always have people comment on the colour of my hair.
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Ok...dumb ? What's
    Ok...dumb ? What's Henna?
    Thanks,
    Kari
  • mariam_11_09
    Options

Ok...dumb ? What's
    Ok...dumb ? What's Henna?
    Thanks,
    Kari

henna is a plant that is
    henna is a plant that is used to dye hair. It usually results in shades ranging from dark red, to light red to orange depending on original hair colour and length of time it remains on the head. It is also used to condition the hair. The colour is meant to wash out over time however in my case because my hair is very porous it never does.

In some cultures in North and West Africa, middle east and India it is used as a temporary tattos on women usually for marriages and special occaisions.

Typically, the plant is dried out and pounded into a powder, the finer the powder the more expensive it is although for hair dying you don't want a fine powder as it is hard to wash it out.

It is not something that has been readily available in the West until recently so really, I don't think it is a dumb question but rather good that you asked.
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Thank you for the info,
    Thank you for the info, sounds like it is much easier on your hair than actual hair dye. I might try it when I have some hair. Right now I have some really thin fuzzy yuck growing back during chemo....yikes. If I get salt and pepper I will probably let it be, I like that look, I would like any look that involves some hair. Thanks again, great info!!
    Kari
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Options

I have been dying my hair
    I have been dying my hair with henna for years. I have dark brown hair with streaks of gray and parts bleached by the sun. The henna adds a richnes and depth, the dark brown becomes a dark auborn and the gray and bleached parts a light auborn. It also conditions your hair.

I have always bought it at whole foods or an Indian store. It is very easy to do at home. Just mix the henna powder with water and let it sit for an hour or two. Then put it on your hair for 1 - 3 hrs after wash it out. If you hair is short this should be very easy. I have had mid length hair and I do it myself all the time although the shower ends up a mess.

Do becareful for two reasons:
    1.If you hair is light then don't leave it in too long as it can come out a bright orange.
    2.Not all products touted as henna are actually henna and some have other chemicals in them in addition to henna.

good luck and have fun. I always have people comment on the colour of my hair.

Mariam
    From these posts it sounds like a great product. Do you really leave it in your hair for 1-3 hours though? I have natural auburn hair ... okay now it is natural gray but I still color it with over the counter products and get it as close as I can to my old auburn color which I only leave in for 20 minutes. When looking for this product is it in a box like the other hair colors or in a smaller package? Am I looking for a tube of powder? Thx for your help.
  • mariam_11_09
    Options
    Gloria09 said:

Mariam
    From these posts it sounds like a great product. Do you really leave it in your hair for 1-3 hours though? I have natural auburn hair ... okay now it is natural gray but I still color it with over the counter products and get it as close as I can to my old auburn color which I only leave in for 20 minutes. When looking for this product is it in a box like the other hair colors or in a smaller package? Am I looking for a tube of powder? Thx for your help.

Hi Gloria,
    yes I leave it in

Hi Gloria,

yes I leave it in for usually up to 2 hours. It really depends on the color of your original hair and what you want the end result to be. It is not as convenient as chemicals but by far significantly less harmful.

I get it from Whole Foods. It comes in a box and there are several different shades. The black henna is usually indigio which is also comes from a plant but different one from henna. The one I get has a picture of different animals on the front. are kind of square box. If you live near a whole foods and they don't have natural hair dyes then you can ask them to order for you. It costs me about $6 - $7 for the box and I get two dyes out of it with medium length hair. It comes with plastic gloves, a plastic cap and instructions. You want to keep the henna as moist as possible when it is on your head but no big deal if it does dry out a little.

If you live close to an Indian store then you can try them and probably get a bag of henna for a couple of dollars but be careful of the quality and make sure they have not added anything else.

Sorry I don't have a box at home right now so I can't give you the brand.
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Options

Hi Gloria,
    yes I leave it in

Hi Gloria,

yes I leave it in for usually up to 2 hours. It really depends on the color of your original hair and what you want the end result to be. It is not as convenient as chemicals but by far significantly less harmful.

I get it from Whole Foods. It comes in a box and there are several different shades. The black henna is usually indigio which is also comes from a plant but different one from henna. The one I get has a picture of different animals on the front. are kind of square box. If you live near a whole foods and they don't have natural hair dyes then you can ask them to order for you. It costs me about $6 - $7 for the box and I get two dyes out of it with medium length hair. It comes with plastic gloves, a plastic cap and instructions. You want to keep the henna as moist as possible when it is on your head but no big deal if it does dry out a little.

If you live close to an Indian store then you can try them and probably get a bag of henna for a couple of dollars but be careful of the quality and make sure they have not added anything else.

Sorry I don't have a box at home right now so I can't give you the brand.

Mariam
    Thank you. I'll check out the Whole Food store this weekend.