Surgey Date

tat2granny
tat2granny Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Finally got that dreaded call. The date!! Now it all seems so final. The surgery is gonna be the 29th. and now that i know when it will be,, I', scared all over again. I know I made the right decision to have a lumpectomy, but is it right that I am scared again? At first it seemed like it was so far in the future, it's finally a day that I am worried.

Comments

• serenapal
    serenapal Member Posts: 31
    Hi tat sorry you have been
    Hi tat sorry you have been diagnosed!!!! I know all to well the very scary feeling. But actually its not bad I actually refused going under general(too scared)so I had local and it didnt hurt just felt like a warm sensation but the last 15 minutes I started to have pain so they gave me something in my IV and no pain about 5-10 mins after being taking to recovery I was able to go home. But like I said its always so scary till you do it. HOPE everything goes great for you let us know. kim
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Yes, being scared again is
    Yes, being scared again is normal. Before everything was abstract. A mastectomy or a lumpectomy? Surgery in the future? What other treatments? Now, you have a Date for a lumpectomy. It's real, it's going to happen. Of course, you are nervous, scared, anxious for it to be done, wanting it to be postponed and my personal favorite hoping against hope that they will tell you it was all a big mistake, they mixed up your chart. We all had variations of these themes. My suggestion is to find things to do to fill the time, cook and freeze some meals, get the house in order, go buy something special for yourself, go out for a nice dinner, see a funny movie, have some friends over and make it a cancer free event, whatever might lift your spirits and keep your mind occupied. Just do things to help the time to pass. My surgery went well and I had minimal discomfort after (only needed tylenol). It was the day before Thanksgiving in the morning, home in the afternoon, and I had a good Thanksgiving with my family. Just a little tired and went to bed on the early side. So I hope that your surgery goes as smoothly. Try to relax (easier said than done) but being relaxed will benefit you in the bigger picture as well.
    Stef
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, tat, look at the
    Hi, tat, look at the date...the 29th....as the date the cancer has left your body. I know we are all different but I did look at my surgery in that way. I had surgery in the morning and I was home by early afternoon. I actually didn't have a lot of pain and only took 1 of the pain killers. Hoping for a quick successful surgery where clean margins are obtained and you're home recovering with minimal discomfort. Take care and post often. We'll be here to hold your hand through your journey.
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    it's normal
    tat2granny,

it is normal to be scared any time that you have surgery or at least it is for me.I had a lumpectomy on dec 17 less than a week after I was dx. Everything happened so fast I didnt have a lot of time to be scared. i saw the surgeon on a Mon, mri on tues,pre op on wed and surgery on thurs. I was only in surgery for about 45 min under general. I woke up and I didn't have any pain and I was not groggy. I did use vicodin that evening because I was afraid it was going to hurt but the next day i just took a tylenol once. I just had some soreness but not pain and I had quite an extensive area removed. I am now facing a second surgery on Jan 22 for re excision because I had clear margins but they were closer than the dr wanted so he is going to remove more tissue from the area. Yes I am a little scared but since I know it wasn't as bad as I thought I'm ok with it I just want to get it over and get on with rads and be done. I just hope this surgery coming up goes as smooth as the first.Just keep telling yourself that you can do it and try to keep busy so you don't think about it too much. I know that is easier said than done.My thoughts and prayers will be with you.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    terri805 said:

it's normal
    tat2granny,

it is normal to be scared any time that you have surgery or at least it is for me.I had a lumpectomy on dec 17 less than a week after I was dx. Everything happened so fast I didnt have a lot of time to be scared. i saw the surgeon on a Mon, mri on tues,pre op on wed and surgery on thurs. I was only in surgery for about 45 min under general. I woke up and I didn't have any pain and I was not groggy. I did use vicodin that evening because I was afraid it was going to hurt but the next day i just took a tylenol once. I just had some soreness but not pain and I had quite an extensive area removed. I am now facing a second surgery on Jan 22 for re excision because I had clear margins but they were closer than the dr wanted so he is going to remove more tissue from the area. Yes I am a little scared but since I know it wasn't as bad as I thought I'm ok with it I just want to get it over and get on with rads and be done. I just hope this surgery coming up goes as smooth as the first.Just keep telling yourself that you can do it and try to keep busy so you don't think about it too much. I know that is easier said than done.My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

It will good to get the
    It will good to get the surgery done and behind you so that you can move on with your life. We all were scared before surgery. We would be nuts if we weren't. lol Just keep busy and the time will pass more quickly.

Praying for you!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    tat2granny
    Tat2granny we are here with you every step of the way, you are in ours prays.please keep us updated. girl power
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

tat2granny
    Tat2granny we are here with you every step of the way, you are in ours prays.please keep us updated. girl power

Sending you hugs to try and
    Sending you hugs to try and calm you down. It is good to have the surgery date set so that you can prepare for it. It will be here before you know it. Praying for you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣