More updates from Pammy!

Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wow...I really, really missed you all. Especially after I started recongizing all the avitar names....love all the new pics! Thanks for all the warm welcome backs! I hope the rest of us, I didn't see, are indeed getting on with life!!
Chenhart was right though....I have become addicted to Facebook and afraid I may experience some minor (ok... MAJOR) withdrawl symptoms once I start backing off! Just not enough hours in the day for everything I want to do (sigh).
Soooo, as promised, update on Doc appt. The thyroid issue is going to be a watch for now, as they do feel it is a cyst and my body needs a break. More importantly (some of you will remember the details) we made a decision that it was the pain in my arm that started all this and should be the pain in my arm to end it! My Doc has gotten me in to see one of the best Orthros in the country (he is the NFL's Orthro Doc for Pittsburg Steelers). Since I was ratiated on that side as well, I am now barely able to lift my arm up without pain. I am afraid if my arm is not fixed soon, I will indeed lose complete use of it. We have put this on hold long enough and now we are jumping to the big guns! Yeah, I am excited!!
It has been almost a year since I woke up and complained that my arm hurt bad enough to go see the Doc! It has been both a blessing and a burden and now I just want it to work!! I told them to just fix it!! Thankful it hurt or they would never have found my cancer. But now I want to get rid of the burden it is causing me.
I will keep everyone posted! You never know.........
Hugs and smiles to all. This is a "freebie" celebration for having the flavor of your choice of ice-cream in my honor!! Enjoy!
Pammy

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    I am glad that they feel
    I am glad that they feel that the thyroid has a cyst. Watching it sounds like a good plan. But even better I am glad you are going to be seeing someone (sounds like a great someone) for the arm pain. Hooray! The pain did its job and alerted you to the cancer. Now the job is done, time for the pain to retire, collect a pension and go away. And I will say prayers and beam good thoughts and positive energy that they will be gettin this under control quickly or at least thoroughly. I have had bouts of bursitis on and off and have trouble lifting my arm and moving it, but I cannot picture what it must be like to have had problems for a year. Time to make it all better. Oh, Pammy I had a horrible thought, what if it is like gout and it's ice cream related. Quick, Stef, push that thought away. Ice cream is a cure for everything, not a cause. That's better. I need to apologize to the ice cream. I will go eat some and that will make it feel better.
    Seriously, I am glad that they cyst will be watched and the arm will be addressed. And again, so glad you are back with us.
    Stef
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Good News, dear Pammy...
    Glad your thyroid issue is on "watch"... And, yes - your body certainly needs a break, if possible. And this sounds like it's possible - so, good news. All around. I'll be hoping the really specialized doctor can provide the help you need to get your arm moving again - without pain, of course.

Wishing you a good week, that all goes well for you back on the job.

Kindest regards, Susan xo
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    So Glad
    I am so glad that you are working towards recovery. I can't imagine dealing with pain for an entire year. As for the ice cream....lets see...it has to be very fattening. How 'bout something like banna split or double chocolate fudge.

Take care.
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    aztec45 said:

So Glad
    I am so glad that you are working towards recovery. I can't imagine dealing with pain for an entire year. As for the ice cream....lets see...it has to be very fattening. How 'bout something like banna split or double chocolate fudge.

Take care.

Welcome back to the boards Pammy
    Hi, so good to see you post again, Pammy, I have really missed your always sunny disposition and good posts.
    WELCOME BACK, so good to hear you are ready to go back to work as well, and things are looking up - you so deserve it friend.
    Sincerely
    sgamtd
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Pammy!
    Thank you, Pammy, for posting. I have been thinking of you and hoping you were getting close to an end to all this. Very encouraging that you have such a distinguished orthopedic surgeon. You deserve the best, especially after a year of pain, mental, emotional, and physical. You have been a trooper through treatments and surgery and complications.

Like you, I can barely lift my arm on the radiated side. Very limited range of motion. I will be seeing a PT locally starting this Thursday. Had hoped infrequent visits to the PT at Wash U. and exercises at home would take care of it. I haven't endured anything like what you have, though, and I am excited, too, that you're about to find out exactly what the problem is and get it fixed. We will all celebrate with you and for you.
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Moopy23 said:

Pammy!
    Thank you, Pammy, for posting. I have been thinking of you and hoping you were getting close to an end to all this. Very encouraging that you have such a distinguished orthopedic surgeon. You deserve the best, especially after a year of pain, mental, emotional, and physical. You have been a trooper through treatments and surgery and complications.

Like you, I can barely lift my arm on the radiated side. Very limited range of motion. I will be seeing a PT locally starting this Thursday. Had hoped infrequent visits to the PT at Wash U. and exercises at home would take care of it. I haven't endured anything like what you have, though, and I am excited, too, that you're about to find out exactly what the problem is and get it fixed. We will all celebrate with you and for you.

Is it common
    Is it common to have problems with your arms after radiation? after a lumpectomy?
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    terri805 said:

Is it common
    Is it common to have problems with your arms after radiation? after a lumpectomy?

Awe.....I feel so warm & fuzzy inside! Thanks everyone!
    Terri, after a lumpectomy and radiation, the tissue has gone through so many changes and two factors will effect you. The surgery causes you to 'favor' that side and some weakening from lack of use can cause temorary discomfort.
    Radiation on the other hand effects you more significantly as it will casue the tissue in the radiated area to tighten and lose elasticity. They will usually give you exercises to help loosen things up and get back to normal.
    In my case, I had a problem from a car accident that left my arm needing attention (possible bursitis or tear in the rotator cuff or other tear) that was put on hold to address my BC. My BC was found when we did the first MRI on my arm and everytime we try to start up with the test to address my arm.....well, they find another problem that could be BC related. So I am finally getting to address the first issue which was the pain in my arm. Honestly, I can't believe I haven't lost my mind yet as I have delt with this for so long!
    All my sisters here did a wonderful job of walking my journey with me and keeping me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel! Also, I know the Lord has carried me through my most trying times of all.
    And if you hang around us long enough, you will learn that ice-cream is actually my drug of choice! And with 101 flavors floating around out there....well, I decided I just have to try them ALL at least once! Sometimes, twice!
    Hugs and smiles...Pammy
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Akiss4me said:

Awe.....I feel so warm & fuzzy inside! Thanks everyone!
    Terri, after a lumpectomy and radiation, the tissue has gone through so many changes and two factors will effect you. The surgery causes you to 'favor' that side and some weakening from lack of use can cause temorary discomfort.
    Radiation on the other hand effects you more significantly as it will casue the tissue in the radiated area to tighten and lose elasticity. They will usually give you exercises to help loosen things up and get back to normal.
    In my case, I had a problem from a car accident that left my arm needing attention (possible bursitis or tear in the rotator cuff or other tear) that was put on hold to address my BC. My BC was found when we did the first MRI on my arm and everytime we try to start up with the test to address my arm.....well, they find another problem that could be BC related. So I am finally getting to address the first issue which was the pain in my arm. Honestly, I can't believe I haven't lost my mind yet as I have delt with this for so long!
    All my sisters here did a wonderful job of walking my journey with me and keeping me focused on the light at the end of the tunnel! Also, I know the Lord has carried me through my most trying times of all.
    And if you hang around us long enough, you will learn that ice-cream is actually my drug of choice! And with 101 flavors floating around out there....well, I decided I just have to try them ALL at least once! Sometimes, twice!
    Hugs and smiles...Pammy

thanks Pammy
    thanks for the info. I worry what side effects of radiation will be. I know everyone is different so it helps to know some of the things other experience. I also worry about the long term effects. Unfortunately, I am a worrier. I am always like "what if this and what if that" until I work myself into a frenzy.Then other days I block it all out of my mind or at least try to until the next step in the process then I just go through the motions and do what I have to do and pray it will be over soon and that I will be able to handle it. i am glad that you have reached the point where you can get on with your first issue with your arm. I can see how it would be very frustrating and a long haul.Good luck to you and may you have all the ice cream your heart desires lol. Oh and have a bite for me to. Hope to hear good news about your arm soon! I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs, Terri