Dumb Question

kimber10
kimber10 Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a dumb question that I hope someone can answear for me, my oncologist told me today that I needed to scedule my yearly mammogram I had a bilateral mastectomy with no reconstruction so how exactly do I have a mammogram I feel like an idiot for posting this (and for not just asking the doctor)but you know.
Kim

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Don't know what he means
    Don't know what he means either. On my mastectomy side they don't do a mammogram. I didn't have reconstruction either. All the onc does is feel for lumps. I don't think that is a dumb question. Maybe you should call and have him explain it. Then let us know because I don't know what he meant.
  • kimber10
    Marcia527 said:

Don't know what he means
    Don't know what he means either. On my mastectomy side they don't do a mammogram. I didn't have reconstruction either. All the onc does is feel for lumps. I don't think that is a dumb question. Maybe you should call and have him explain it. Then let us know because I don't know what he meant.

I guess I will have to call
    I guess I will have to call I thought maybe I was just being dim and usually she does check for lumps during the exam so ??????????????????????? I will definately share when I find out
    Thanks Kim
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    kimber10 said:

I guess I will have to call
    I guess I will have to call I thought maybe I was just being dim and usually she does check for lumps during the exam so ??????????????????????? I will definately share when I find out
    Thanks Kim

No question is dumb Kim ♥

I don't know either. So, I will be curious as to what you find out. Please post so that all of us can know.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Breastcancer.org has some info
    I googled "mammogram and mastectomy" and came up with a number of links. Among them:

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/ask_expert/question_06.jsp

Might be helpful.

Sandy
  • kimber10

Breastcancer.org has some info
    I googled "mammogram and mastectomy" and came up with a number of links. Among them:

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/ask_expert/question_06.jsp

Might be helpful.

Sandy

Thanks I will check that out

Thanks I will check that out
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    please call
    Please call him/her and let us know the answer to this.and please remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, its just a question that we don't know the answer to(not yet)
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86

please call
    Please call him/her and let us know the answer to this.and please remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, its just a question that we don't know the answer to(not yet)

Mine did the same thing!
    It must be a bad habit on the doctors side. My oncologist told me the same thing. I reminded him that I did not have anything to mamogram and he changed the orders scan. Sometimes I wonder if they speak before they think. Give them a call just to verify, if they say yes to the mamogram then ask them just how they plan on doing this. I think the answer will be interesting once they are reminded of your status. You may even get a chuckle out of their stupidity! Have a good day!
    Tracey
  • kimber10
    TLynn0102 said:

Mine did the same thing!
    It must be a bad habit on the doctors side. My oncologist told me the same thing. I reminded him that I did not have anything to mamogram and he changed the orders scan. Sometimes I wonder if they speak before they think. Give them a call just to verify, if they say yes to the mamogram then ask them just how they plan on doing this. I think the answer will be interesting once they are reminded of your status. You may even get a chuckle out of their stupidity! Have a good day!
    Tracey

Just talked to my onc and
    Just talked to my onc and you were right Tracey she just wasn't thinking when she said mamogram odd since she told me to schedule it right after she was done examing me lol guess doctors are human to.
    Kim
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    kimber10 said:

Just talked to my onc and
    Just talked to my onc and you were right Tracey she just wasn't thinking when she said mamogram odd since she told me to schedule it right after she was done examing me lol guess doctors are human to.
    Kim

dumb as dirt
  • kimber10
    Mama G said:

dumb as dirt

Right
    Right as rain
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Could be your "mammogram"
    Could be your "mammogram" would be done as an "ultrasound".