Hair coloring?

pgrace35
pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, done with chemo, onto rads and my hair is coming in gray. I know you can't chemically color it, but can you use natural dyes like henna. Has anyone done this?

Comments

• ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    hair coloring
    Hi, I finished rads. friday.And like you my hair is gray what little I have.My beatician looked at it and said wait till it got a little longer in a month or so and she will dye it for me.I will ask my Cancer Dr. tomorrow and get back with you.(Pat).
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I just had RADS, finished
    I just had RADS, finished them Thursday before Christmas week. I had my hair colored(root touch-up) during RADS. I had it done again right before I had my last RADS again. I guess it was ok. My hairdresser said my hair had thinned a bit, but not drastically.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    lanie940 said:

I just had RADS, finished
    I just had RADS, finished them Thursday before Christmas week. I had my hair colored(root touch-up) during RADS. I had it done again right before I had my last RADS again. I guess it was ok. My hairdresser said my hair had thinned a bit, but not drastically.

My hair grew in a skunky
    My hair grew in a skunky color, like black and grey. As soon as it was long enough, i went to a hairdresser and had it permanetly colored with blonde hi-lites. I loved it and kept it like that. Luckily, i went to a hairdresser who was familiar with working with chemo hair since her friend had cancer. if you want to do it yourself, i am sure you can just buy a box at the store. Just make sure it has 100% gray coverage. Good Luck
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    meena1 said:

My hair grew in a skunky
    My hair grew in a skunky color, like black and grey. As soon as it was long enough, i went to a hairdresser and had it permanetly colored with blonde hi-lites. I loved it and kept it like that. Luckily, i went to a hairdresser who was familiar with working with chemo hair since her friend had cancer. if you want to do it yourself, i am sure you can just buy a box at the store. Just make sure it has 100% gray coverage. Good Luck

Mine is growing in
    Mine is growing in white...about an inch long now...the white makes it look really sparse
    so I've been thinking about some color too....
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    dyaneb123 said:

Mine is growing in
    Mine is growing in white...about an inch long now...the white makes it look really sparse
    so I've been thinking about some color too....

I looked older than my 71 year old MUM....Last Photo....
    She looked GREAT! she always does, I looked like her aging dowager auntie about to enter my dotage! I was 46.. Grey gaunt.....Oh Bugger it, I looked like Bella Lugosi! I dyed my hair as soon as I had enough to use half a treatment on.....1/2 inch of grey hair, became a well trendy 1/2 inch platinum blonde.......I still hated it because it was so short......but at least I didn't look like an old age pensioner anymore......Go ahead, colour it!.... worst case scenario.....it falls out.LOL Hugs Jxxxxxx
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    hair color
    I colored mine myself as soon as it was long enough to have something to color.
  • pgrace35
    scout5000 said:

hair color
    I colored mine myself as soon as it was long enough to have something to color.

What did you use. I have a hairdresser whom is wonderful, but I was told not to use any chemical colors. So I bought some henna today?? See what happens I guess, hope it doesn't turn orange!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    pgrace35 said:

What did you use. I have a hairdresser whom is wonderful, but I was told not to use any chemical colors. So I bought some henna today?? See what happens I guess, hope it doesn't turn orange!

Henna would be fine to use.
    Henna would be fine to use. Your hairdresser will help you with it. We always feel better with our color done. Good luck! Post a pic and let us see the results!

Debby
  • pgrace35
    DebbyM said:

Henna would be fine to use. Your hairdresser will help you with it. We always feel better with our color done. Good luck! Post a pic and let us see the results!

Debby

Thanks
    Thanks Deb, your right it would make me feel better and I think all of us going through this awful process should do anything that makes us feel better!
  • ppurdin
    Dying my hair.
    I ask my Dr. today and she said I could dye my hair.I was glad to hear that.(Pat).
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    tasha_111 said:

I looked older than my 71 year old MUM....Last Photo....
    She looked GREAT! she always does, I looked like her aging dowager auntie about to enter my dotage! I was 46.. Grey gaunt.....Oh Bugger it, I looked like Bella Lugosi! I dyed my hair as soon as I had enough to use half a treatment on.....1/2 inch of grey hair, became a well trendy 1/2 inch platinum blonde.......I still hated it because it was so short......but at least I didn't look like an old age pensioner anymore......Go ahead, colour it!.... worst case scenario.....it falls out.LOL Hugs Jxxxxxx

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!Tasha!
    AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!Tasha! Falls out!!! My precious inch and a half of new hair????!!Dont even
    suggest such a thing...wouldn't that just be the pits though?
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    ppurdin said:

Dying my hair.
    I ask my Dr. today and she said I could dye my hair.I was glad to hear that.(Pat).

Good to know
    My hair is also coming in white or gray like maybe the salt with some pepper. Not long enough to do anything yet. I am at the fuzzy stage.
  • ppurdin
    DebbyM said:

Debby

henna
    Hi Debby,where do you buy Henna at?is it no chemicals?Thanks.(Pat).