Friday Riddle Answer

nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This week's winner was phillieg. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIDDLE: Three friends check into a motel for the night and the clerk tells them the bill is $30, payable in advance. So, they each pay the clerk $10 and go to their room. A few minutes later, the clerk realizes he has made an error and overcharged the trio by $5. He asks the bellhop to return $5 to the 3 friends who had just checked in. The bellhop sees this as an opportunity to make $2 as he reasons that the three friends would have a tough time dividing $5 evenly among them; so he decides to tell them that the clerk made a mistake of only $3, giving a dollar back to each of the friends. He pockets the leftover $2 and goes home for the day! Now, each of the three friends gets a dollar back, thus they each paid $9 for the room which is a total of $27 for the night. We know the bellhop pocketed $2 and adding that to the $27, you get $29, not $30 which was originally spent. Where did the other dollar go????

ANSWER: The facts in this riddle are clear: There is an initial $30 charge. It should have been $25, so $5 must be returned and accounted for. $3 is given to the 3 friends, $2 is kept by the bellhop - there you have the $5. The trick to this riddle is that the addition and subtraction are done at the wrong times to misdirect your thinking - and quite successfully for most. Each of the 3 friends did indeed pay $9, not $10, and as far as the friends are concerned, they paid $27 for the night. But we know that the clerk will tell us that they were charged only $25 and when you add the $3 returned with the $2 kept by the bellhop, you come up with $30.

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Toes
    I would do that backwards counting on my kids toes when they were little.
    I remember my Uncle doing that with me when I was little down at the NJ Shore.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Boo :)
    I want my money back :)

Kiddin' - it was a good one!

-Craig
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    Not Quite
    The problem with this answer, is it neglects the underlying mathematics. The Riddle is based on the multiplication of an odd number. The 9 * 3 = 27 (the friends) plus the 2 (bellhop ) DOES equal 29. But it is a mathematical trick, and violates the laws of arithmatic.

From a caregiver, lurker, and supporter.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    here4lfe said:

Not Quite
    The problem with this answer, is it neglects the underlying mathematics. The Riddle is based on the multiplication of an odd number. The 9 * 3 = 27 (the friends) plus the 2 (bellhop ) DOES equal 29. But it is a mathematical trick, and violates the laws of arithmatic.

From a caregiver, lurker, and supporter.

Trust us
    It makes perfect sense if you're on chemo!
    ;-)
  • here4lfe
    here4lfe Member Posts: 306 Member
    PhillieG said:

Trust us
    It makes perfect sense if you're on chemo!
    ;-)

Understood
    It's difficult when you're not! I just started studying number theory, and these weird situations come up when dealing with prime numbers, multiplication, and integers.

Have a good one.