questions about ongoing side effects

elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everyone. I haven't been on here in a while. I hope you all enjoyed your holidays. As alot of you know, I finished RADS in November.
I've been wondering, when does the fatigue end? Am I still feeling tired because of the chemo and RADS?
Will I ever have to shave under my arm again? Does that hair come back? I hope not!
What about the pain in my ankles that I got from the Taxotere? And the Nueropathy and joint pain? Does this ever end? What do you do to ease this? I have tried assorted pain relievers and none seem to help.

Comments

• Maize
    Maize Member Posts: 76
    ????
    I haven't started either, but am very afraid of side effects. I wonder how my life will be limited after treatment.

Best wishes to you. I hope you find relief soon!!!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Rads
    Elm,

I also finished rads in November and have not had to shave under that arm yet. I would think your body is still adjusting from the chemo and rads and that your fatigue is related to them. I thought it sounded strange to still be tired after completing rads until I experienced it myself. Your skin is still healing for a while after treatments are done and I'm sure that takes a lot out of your energy supply.

Take care.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Wolfi said:

Rads
    Elm,

I also finished rads in November and have not had to shave under that arm yet. I would think your body is still adjusting from the chemo and rads and that your fatigue is related to them. I thought it sounded strange to still be tired after completing rads until I experienced it myself. Your skin is still healing for a while after treatments are done and I'm sure that takes a lot out of your energy supply.

Take care.

hi
    i finished radiation on november 18 i also havent had to shave and my underarm is numb. im also having fatigue i started tamoxifen in december and i think its making mine worse.

hope things get better for you!

:0) teresa
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    teresa41 said:

hi
    i finished radiation on november 18 i also havent had to shave and my underarm is numb. im also having fatigue i started tamoxifen in december and i think its making mine worse.

hope things get better for you!

:0) teresa

I had rads under my arm 15
    I had rads under my arm 15 years ago and do not shave there. just slightly above.like abouve the crease.
  • boppel
    boppel Member Posts: 26
    HI...
    It takes a long time for your body to recouperate from all it has been through, but it will get better. Yeah the hair will come back, not as much, but it will be back, just be careful with the razor, can't feel nothing there... When I had chemo and rads the second time around, I worked, ( would NEVER do that again) they put me on part time, I was exausted when I got home and would fall asleep for 2 hours, even during my lunch hour I'd sleep. So give it some time, let your body heal.
    em :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    boppel said:

HI...
    It takes a long time for your body to recouperate from all it has been through, but it will get better. Yeah the hair will come back, not as much, but it will be back, just be careful with the razor, can't feel nothing there... When I had chemo and rads the second time around, I worked, ( would NEVER do that again) they put me on part time, I was exausted when I got home and would fall asleep for 2 hours, even during my lunch hour I'd sleep. So give it some time, let your body heal.
    em :)

Does it ever end?
    Good question. I have been asking myself every day since I finish radiation. Fatigue, lack of energy, skin, hair, UTI, list goes on.
    Being very healthy until my diagnosis with breast cancer i am having difficulties to cope with physical limitations after the treatment. According to my oncologist. lack of estrogen due to induced menopause and Tamoxifen can add to side effects of Chemo and radiation.
    Now 9 months later I can tell you yes, it will be netter. Please be gentle with yourself, take a nap after lunch, moderate exercises and positive attitude. Very gradually, little by little you will feel better every day.
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Does it ever end?
    Good question. I have been asking myself every day since I finish radiation. Fatigue, lack of energy, skin, hair, UTI, list goes on.
    Being very healthy until my diagnosis with breast cancer i am having difficulties to cope with physical limitations after the treatment. According to my oncologist. lack of estrogen due to induced menopause and Tamoxifen can add to side effects of Chemo and radiation.
    Now 9 months later I can tell you yes, it will be netter. Please be gentle with yourself, take a nap after lunch, moderate exercises and positive attitude. Very gradually, little by little you will feel better every day.
    Hugs,
    New Flower

Since you had chemo and rads
    Since you had chemo and rads both, besides surgery, you will be tired for awhile. Noone is going to jump right back into feeling like a 16 year old after going thru all of that. You still need to get as much rest as you can. Take naps if possible, go to bed earlier than you ever have before. My rads oncologist told me that it takes sometimes up to a year for you to start feeling like your old self again. I am not on tamox yet, but, that is also one of the se's of that too I think. I also exercise and did that thru rads and it made it easier for me. You might try that. Go for a walk or always take the stairs. I know it sounds crazy, but, it does help you to build your strength back up.

Hugs, Leeza
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    jnl said:

Since you had chemo and rads
    Since you had chemo and rads both, besides surgery, you will be tired for awhile. Noone is going to jump right back into feeling like a 16 year old after going thru all of that. You still need to get as much rest as you can. Take naps if possible, go to bed earlier than you ever have before. My rads oncologist told me that it takes sometimes up to a year for you to start feeling like your old self again. I am not on tamox yet, but, that is also one of the se's of that too I think. I also exercise and did that thru rads and it made it easier for me. You might try that. Go for a walk or always take the stairs. I know it sounds crazy, but, it does help you to build your strength back up.

Hugs, Leeza

Its been a year now since my
    Its been a year now since my chemo ended, I did not have radiation it was not an option. I remember asking my Dr. at the final appt. this very question. His answer was 'one year'...I am starting to wonder which year he is talking about! I feel much better than I did while on chemo and I am noticing that somedays I have more energy than others but I am not all the way there yet. I experience pain from the scar tissue I have daily and now that winter is here it is worse but I manage. My sleep pattern has also changed. Sometimes I am up all night long and other times I only wake up for 20 miutes or so but I do not sleep through the night anymore. Ironically I am noticing that my memory is slowly coming back. It's a very proud moment when something pops in my head and I actually remember it. I am begining to look at it this way, time will heal me and time will make me feel better. Everyone is different and for me the one year date did not apply. For now I enjoy the days I feel like doing nothing and take advantage of naps during the day, sleep allows the body to heal.
    Tracey
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    thank you
    I guess I really need to just give it some time, then. My family seems to expect me to be "normal" again, since according to them, its "over" now. But its not over for me. I am tired all the time and my body hurts every day. I still can not do simple things I used to take for granted. I do try to take walks and I do opt for stairs instead of elevators, always have, except when I was on chemo. Just needed to hear from others that this is normal!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    elm3544 said:

thank you
    I guess I really need to just give it some time, then. My family seems to expect me to be "normal" again, since according to them, its "over" now. But its not over for me. I am tired all the time and my body hurts every day. I still can not do simple things I used to take for granted. I do try to take walks and I do opt for stairs instead of elevators, always have, except when I was on chemo. Just needed to hear from others that this is normal!

I Guess It Is Never Over
    I guess it is never truly over for us. Your hair may grow back or not at all. Your hair may be a different texture or a different color. You may hurt or be tired for years after the chemo. You may not be able to do the things you used to for quite a while. The fact of the matter is that it may take years for you to be 100%. But one thing is for certain, you will be changed by the cancer both mentally and physically. I have read on several posts that a person who has gone through what we have will have to accept a diffent kind of normal. Hopefully, your family and loved ones will accept the new you. I have awhile to get where you are but I pray my family accepts the new me. I have no choice but to accept the new me and go forward.

Good Luck,

Pat
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    aztec45 said:

I Guess It Is Never Over
    I guess it is never truly over for us. Your hair may grow back or not at all. Your hair may be a different texture or a different color. You may hurt or be tired for years after the chemo. You may not be able to do the things you used to for quite a while. The fact of the matter is that it may take years for you to be 100%. But one thing is for certain, you will be changed by the cancer both mentally and physically. I have read on several posts that a person who has gone through what we have will have to accept a diffent kind of normal. Hopefully, your family and loved ones will accept the new you. I have awhile to get where you are but I pray my family accepts the new me. I have no choice but to accept the new me and go forward.

Good Luck,

Pat

I also wondered about when
    I also wondered about when it was going to be over. I think you put it well pat. I have no choice.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Kat11 said:

I also wondered about when
    I also wondered about when it was going to be over. I think you put it well pat. I have no choice.

Rads are cumulative, so, you
    Rads are cumulative, so, you can still be tired from them for weeks, months or even a year after finishing them. My rads oncologist said everyone is different. One thing I did find that helped with my energy is what some of the others did/do. I started exercising and I got a lot of energy back. Just a simple walk helps. Hope you feel better soon!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣