California Sisters/Brothers - Did you Survive the Earthquake?

creampuff91344
creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
When I hear about an earthquake in California, I always feel for my fellow board members. Let us know how you faired during Saturday's 6.5 earthquake. Hugs.

Judy

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I honestly didn't even know
    I honestly didn't even know about the earthquake until one of my fellow CSN chatroom friends called me from Wisconsin last night! I am about 700 miles south of where it happened. Our northern California sisters ( RE, Fauxma, jn916) and a few others are within 300 or so miles from the epicenter; I don't know if they felt it or not.

Thanks for asking! It's always something somewhere, isn't it???? LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    chenheart said:

I honestly didn't even know
    I honestly didn't even know about the earthquake until one of my fellow CSN chatroom friends called me from Wisconsin last night! I am about 700 miles south of where it happened. Our northern California sisters ( RE, Fauxma, jn916) and a few others are within 300 or so miles from the epicenter; I don't know if they felt it or not.

Thanks for asking! It's always something somewhere, isn't it???? LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I didn't feel it. I think
    I didn't feel it. I think that the fault line runs from the area down to the San Francisco/San Jose area so even though they are further from it than we were they are on the same fault (San Adreas i think) but it was right up where Denise and Kyle used to live. They are maybe 30 miles from Ferndale. And they have lots of friends up there. There was minor damage and injuries which is great considering the strength of this quake. Ferndale had a lot of shattered windows. It is the cutest little town of Victorian homes and quaint shops. It was used for location shots for The Majestic (we were there one of the days they were filming) with Jim Carrey and Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman. It's just a lovely little town and if you are ever near there it warrants a visit. I guess there was some structural damage to some businesses in Eureka and Arcata. The mall we used to go to had some damage and some injuries from falling debris. Humboldt State is right there in Arcata (the kids lived across the street) and I am sure there were thousands of calls from concerned parents. I know I would have been on the phone in a flash. But from all reports other than stuff falling off shelves, windows breaking, some wall cracks, the area is okay. I am sure if this had been in one of our larger cities with all its infrastructure it could have been a very different story. And no tsunami was generated which has happened before up there. I think that Re and me and someone from the Danville area that are in Northern California but I am sure they will post if they felt anything. So this is Stef, who felt nothing, signing off. When I talk to Denise I will see if she has heard from her Humboldt County friends. Their new roommates just moved from there at Christmas. Glad they missed this.
    Stef

Just talked to Denise and she said Humboldt State is still on Winter break. She is calling some of her friends and their room mate is going to call her brother who just went up there on Friday.