benign lumps do they stay in?

teresa41
teresa41 Member Posts: 471
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i found a lump in december in my right breast i had a mammo and ultra sound more than 1 showed up but i got the results in the mail saying they believe they are benign. but i need to have tests done again in 6 months i havent seen my onco dr yet .im wondering if they stay in ? and if they can turn from benign to cancer? my cancer was in my left but i also had a benign in it also. anyone else have this???

thank you in advance!

:o) teresa

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Teresa,
    I don't want to

Teresa,
    I don't want to alarm you but my sister had a lump that showed up in her mammogram and they also thought it was benign and told her to come back and do another mammo in 6 months. She did, it had grown and they did a biopsy. It was cancer, it was large and it was in 7 nodes. You have had cancer in your other breast and yes, you had something benign but I would ask that they do the biopsy now and not wait. This is just what I would do. To me is the statement, they Believe they are benign. In any case, my prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way.
    Stef
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    fauxma said:

Teresa,
    I don't want to

Teresa,
    I don't want to alarm you but my sister had a lump that showed up in her mammogram and they also thought it was benign and told her to come back and do another mammo in 6 months. She did, it had grown and they did a biopsy. It was cancer, it was large and it was in 7 nodes. You have had cancer in your other breast and yes, you had something benign but I would ask that they do the biopsy now and not wait. This is just what I would do. To me is the statement, they Believe they are benign. In any case, my prayers and positive thoughts are coming your way.
    Stef

I would never leave a lump
    I would never leave a lump in. And, you said they believe, that says that they don't know. Let us know what you do.

Megan
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    fauxma said:

Teresa,
    I don't want to

Teresa,
    Stef

I AGREE! If they do a biopsy
    I AGREE! If they do a biopsy now, they can put a tiny titanium clip in them, so that way they know they have been biopsied. they can tell if they grew any also when you are checked again. I had 2 biopsied in my left axilla, my cancer was in my right breast(had lumpectomy,neg sentinel node)in July. My Oncology surgeon wanted the left tumors biopsied. I did, the Radiologist said he didn't think they were cancer (he knew right away the biopsy from the RT was cancer, actually, he said it was BEFORE the biopsy!

Well, I get this call from my Oncology surgeon, he said the left tumors had (strange cells) well, I asked him if they could be neurofibromas (I have Neurofibromatosis)(benign tumors on my spinal cord and under my skin in several places. He said, it's possible, but he wanted them OUT to be sure, so they came out at the time of my hernia surgery in early October. (They were neurofibromas)
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Teresa
    So glad you asked this question as I am in a similiar situation. I just had a Lumpectomy the end of November on the left side.(of which they said was a cluster of cysts) Before my surgery, I noticed another "suspicious" lump on the right side. I knew I had 5 cysts in there, but this one in particular had changed after Chemo which is why I became concerned over it. My surgeon checked it out during surgery and recommended another Mammo/US. Had this done on Xmas eve, came back again benign. You would think I would be relieved-but I am NOT! It has been just another horrible reminder of what I have already been through. My surgeon said he could order another biopsy, My Oncolgist says to get it out of there. So, now I think I will have it biopsied as this is the only way I feel I can be at peace with it. I have learned through MY experience, that it is "I" who knows my body best and sometimes we have to be persistent with these doctors to do what we feel is best for us so that we can have a piece of mind. I don't understand why they can't/or don't seem too concerned about removing these cysts. Now that I have already had a BC diagnosis once, how can I not worry that any one of these cysts may/may not be more Cancer?! The next time you see your Oncologist, discuss your concerns with him/her. Don't take any chances!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Cat64 said:

Teresa
    So glad you asked this question as I am in a similiar situation. I just had a Lumpectomy the end of November on the left side.(of which they said was a cluster of cysts) Before my surgery, I noticed another "suspicious" lump on the right side. I knew I had 5 cysts in there, but this one in particular had changed after Chemo which is why I became concerned over it. My surgeon checked it out during surgery and recommended another Mammo/US. Had this done on Xmas eve, came back again benign. You would think I would be relieved-but I am NOT! It has been just another horrible reminder of what I have already been through. My surgeon said he could order another biopsy, My Oncolgist says to get it out of there. So, now I think I will have it biopsied as this is the only way I feel I can be at peace with it. I have learned through MY experience, that it is "I" who knows my body best and sometimes we have to be persistent with these doctors to do what we feel is best for us so that we can have a piece of mind. I don't understand why they can't/or don't seem too concerned about removing these cysts. Now that I have already had a BC diagnosis once, how can I not worry that any one of these cysts may/may not be more Cancer?! The next time you see your Oncologist, discuss your concerns with him/her. Don't take any chances!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

thank you
    thank you all for your post and i am worried after the cancer in my left. i see my oncoligist on january 25 and i will tell him i want a biopsy i would rather feel safe than be sorry that i didnt.

:0) teresa
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    teresa41 said:

thank you
    thank you all for your post and i am worried after the cancer in my left. i see my oncoligist on january 25 and i will tell him i want a biopsy i would rather feel safe than be sorry that i didnt.

You're Welcome
    Good for you! Way to take charge! I can't help but to wonder if we will ever NOT worry?!
    Let us know how it goes on the 25th.
    ♥ Cathy
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    teresa41 said:

thank you

I am glad that you are
    I am glad that you are getting the biopsy. I think that is the best thing to do. At least then, you will know. Be sure and let us know.

Lex♥