Big Decision

Maize
Maize Member Posts: 76
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Two sentinel nodes had microscopic traces of cancer (.4 and .2 mm) an ancillary node was negative. The doctor wants to remove more Lymph nodes. Dr David Chan's book, which I use as a reference, indicated that there is no therapeutic value in doing this so i do not want to go through another surgery. My Oncologist will still treat me, but still want me to go through the other surgery 1st. He said many negative things about Rads and believe I should have a mastectomy. My cancer was .9 cm and clear margins. all my tests results have been good. Has anyone else had this problem??? Onc. said rads can cause lymphodema more so than removal of LN.

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Hi Maize
    Gosh I wish I could help you. I have no clue, but I am sure someone will jump in here. I had lumpectomy with small tumor 2 nodes pos. They took 22 nodes in all. I think I would seek another doctors opinion if I were you. Good luck
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Kathy is absolutely right
    Maize, you would be well advised to get a second opinion. It's a good idea to read up as much as you can, but I suspect even Dr. Chan would agree that no book could substitute for a second opinion from an experienced oncologist with access to you and all of your medical records.

Your oncologist shouldn't be bothered by this. When all was said and done my beloved Moopy had wound up with two oncologist/hematologists and two radiation oncologists: one of each here in Springfield and one of each in St. Louis. All of whom got along just fine with each other - and more importantly, worked with each other to make sure Moopy got the best treatment.

Best wishes to you on whatever course you decide!

Joe
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Aortus said:

Maize, you would be well advised to get a second opinion. It's a good idea to read up as much as you can, but I suspect even Dr. Chan would agree that no book could substitute for a second opinion from an experienced oncologist with access to you and all of your medical records.

Your oncologist shouldn't be bothered by this. When all was said and done my beloved Moopy had wound up with two oncologist/hematologists and two radiation oncologists: one of each here in Springfield and one of each in St. Louis. All of whom got along just fine with each other - and more importantly, worked with each other to make sure Moopy got the best treatment.

Joe

I would also seek another
    I would also seek another opinion. I don't think what you have been told is right.

Good luck!

Megan
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I agree with the
    I agree with the others--it's time to get a second or third opion if you need it. You have to be comfortable with and trust your medical team. I get the sense you're not. Let us know how you're doing.
  • Maize
    Kat11 said:

Hi Maize
    Gosh I wish I could help you. I have no clue, but I am sure someone will jump in here. I had lumpectomy with small tumor 2 nodes pos. They took 22 nodes in all. I think I would seek another doctors opinion if I were you. Good luck

Any side effects?
    I wonder about the swelling and pain from removal of that many nodes.
  • Maize
    Aortus said:

Joe

Thanks!
    I believe that I will do that.
  • Maize
    Sher43009 said:

I agree with the
    I agree with the others--it's time to get a second or third opion if you need it. You have to be comfortable with and trust your medical team. I get the sense you're not. Let us know how you're doing.

Thanks!
    I am skeptical.
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    I agree with everybody who
    I agree with everybody who thinks you should get a second opinion. It will take more time but it will be worth it.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Maize
    I had a lumpectomy with one positive node. Not fully involved either but my surgeon wanted to go back in and take more nodes. They found one more out of 11 that was partially involved also. I think your doctor just wants a better "picture" of what is going on with you. Since he already found 2 pos. 1-3 positive nodes are still considered early stage bc. So you can see why he wants to see if you might have more node involvement. Your treatment plan will be determined by this.

If I were you I would have it done. The second surgery is a bit worse than the first but you don't want to take a chance of being undertreated.

Hope this helps a bit
    Jadie<3
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Maize said:

Any side effects?
    I wonder about the swelling and pain from removal of that many nodes.

Maize
    yes, there is pain with nodes removed. Doable because you have to play it safe. Let us know how it turns out for you. Again Good Luck
  • Maize
    Jadie said:

Hi Maize
    I had a lumpectomy with one positive node. Not fully involved either but my surgeon wanted to go back in and take more nodes. They found one more out of 11 that was partially involved also. I think your doctor just wants a better "picture" of what is going on with you. Since he already found 2 pos. 1-3 positive nodes are still considered early stage bc. So you can see why he wants to see if you might have more node involvement. Your treatment plan will be determined by this.

If I were you I would have it done. The second surgery is a bit worse than the first but you don't want to take a chance of being undertreated.

Hope this helps a bit
    Jadie<3</p>

I appreciate the info
    Thanks, Jada...I will get a second opinion and follow the doctor's plan. Thanks everyone. It helps to get others opinions.

Maize
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Maize said:

I appreciate the info
    Thanks, Jada...I will get a second opinion and follow the doctor's plan. Thanks everyone. It helps to get others opinions.

Maize

I have to agree with
    I have to agree with everyone else Maize. I would certainly get at least a second opinion. This is serious stuff and you want to be sure that what you do is in your best interest. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza