which doc should I ask?

crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I went into menopause naturally about 10 years ago. Tried Hormome Replacement Therapy from 2001 to 2005 and stopped when that study came out linking it to breast cancer. The hot flashes/sweats that drove me to take it were intolerable. I could only sleep 45 minutes between them at night! Do you know how cranky that can make you?! And talk about having a fuzzy brain due to lack of sleep...! Hot flashes/sweats were relieved at first but I would still have some and they increased even while I was on HRT.

But I learned to live with them. Sleeping was better with an uninterrupted 3 to 4 hours after falling asleep, then every hour until I got up. Now, after starting Tamoxifen, they have increased in severity and freqency, AGAIN. I've just finished a month of trying mega doses of Vitamin C as recommended by my oncologist. Some, but not enough help.

Which doc would you go to asking for something else to help? My family doc is an internist and I use her as my ob/gyn but proved she knows little about breast cancer when she gave me the diagnosis from my biopsy pathology report. I've seen my oncologist twice, the second time was my urging to tell him I WOULD take the Tamoxifen he recommended on the first visit. He hasn't earned my trust yet. Yes, I automatically do not trust my doctors to know what's best for me.

I had my onc fax my records to a really good gyn onc in Phoenix last week, as his office asked to be done for new patients. I want a uterine ultrasound as a baseline as I begin use of Tamoxifen. His office has not yet called back with an appointment date. Maybe he won't take me?

So, who would you seek out for help with the hot flash/sweats sleep issue?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I would go to an gyn I think
    I would go to an gyn I think and keep calling the office be a pest. sqeaky wheel and all.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    carkris said:

I would go to an gyn I think
    I would go to an gyn I think and keep calling the office be a pest. sqeaky wheel and all.

I'd ask the gynecologist,
    I'd ask the gynecologist, provided he is quite conversant in breast cancer. I'm very glad that you are seeking out a gynecologist seeing that you are on (or are going on) Tamoxifen. I used my PCP for gyn exams, etc. until I went on Tamoxifen. Then, he insisted that I be treated by a gynecologist who has more expertise in that area.

Joyce
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jk1952 said:

I'd ask the gynecologist,
    I'd ask the gynecologist, provided he is quite conversant in breast cancer. I'm very glad that you are seeking out a gynecologist seeing that you are on (or are going on) Tamoxifen. I used my PCP for gyn exams, etc. until I went on Tamoxifen. Then, he insisted that I be treated by a gynecologist who has more expertise in that area.

Joyce

In addition to Gynecologist
    there are some doctors who are specialized in women health and menopause.
    try to find an alternative references for backup If gynecologist office will not call you.

Hot flashes should gradually go away. As you described you are an expert in dealing with hot flashes.
    Because most treatment for hot flashes related to the use of estrogen like remedies. I have been focusing on treating Insomnia.
    I take Tamoxifen in the morning around 10 AM. Initially I did use sleeping pills, currently I am using acupuncture to treat insomnia which definitely has been caused by induced menopause.
    New Flower