Extensive Laser Vaporization/Partial Vulvectomy

So I had my surgery 2 days before Christmas and although it was suppose to be an out patient procedure they ended up keeping me. Am I ever going to stop hurting?? I really feel like someone has taken a baseball bat to me. I was eating until I had a bowel movement, that totally ruined it for me. I'm so afraid to use the bathroom at all. I can't even pee without running to the hot tub to soak. They put me on percocets which I really hate taking cause all they do is knock me out and my kids are getting no attention from me. They're scared to come near me incase they might bump me and hurt me.

How long will it be before I stop hurting and can get up to do things for myself?? I don't like being dependent on someone else. I'm considering having my doctor put me on something to help my emotional episodes. What they did to me makes me feel like a cicus freak. Will my vulva ever go back to how it was before?? The doctor tells me it's all normal,but I can't deal with it emotionally. I was self conscious before and now it's just worse. Please give me some ways to help cope with the pain besides narcotics.

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Alone,
    I'm sorry to hear

Alone,
    I'm sorry to hear your going through such a difficult time. You will heal...in time. An outside option for pain control, if your healthy otherwise, would be to take larger doses of ibuprophen, 600-800 mg three times a day with food or milk. Pass this by your doc first. It will help with inflammation and pain. And if you need to ask the doc for something to help you emotionally, go for it. It takes a few weeks and dosage adjustments to get that type of medication to your optimal level. You are already suffering so much, you don't need more! I can't answer if your vulva will go back to pre-treatment condition as I'm in a different boat, but I can relate to the bathroom episodes. I had radiation burns in my rectum and tears would run down my face everytime I needed to go to the bathroom. Finally, the doc gave me lidocaine which helped some. I can also relate to the fear your children are having about touching you...I went through this with my grandson. He stopped spending the night and told me he would know I was better when all my hair grew back...which is in the process. Take one day at a time...I hope you feel better soon!
    (((HUGS)))
  • AloneNConfused
    AloneNConfused Member Posts: 20
    beckyracn said:

Alone,
    I'm sorry to hear

Alone,
    I'm sorry to hear your going through such a difficult time. You will heal...in time. An outside option for pain control, if your healthy otherwise, would be to take larger doses of ibuprophen, 600-800 mg three times a day with food or milk. Pass this by your doc first. It will help with inflammation and pain. And if you need to ask the doc for something to help you emotionally, go for it. It takes a few weeks and dosage adjustments to get that type of medication to your optimal level. You are already suffering so much, you don't need more! I can't answer if your vulva will go back to pre-treatment condition as I'm in a different boat, but I can relate to the bathroom episodes. I had radiation burns in my rectum and tears would run down my face everytime I needed to go to the bathroom. Finally, the doc gave me lidocaine which helped some. I can also relate to the fear your children are having about touching you...I went through this with my grandson. He stopped spending the night and told me he would know I was better when all my hair grew back...which is in the process. Take one day at a time...I hope you feel better soon!
    (((HUGS)))

Becky,
    Thanks for replying

Becky,
    Thanks for replying again. My doctor has me taking 600mg of Motrin 4 times a day and 5/325 Percocets 4 times a day. I've been trying to hold off on the percocets for when I really need them. Usually when I know I have to pee I'll hold off on going till I think they've kicked in. As soon as I urinate I immediately soak in the tub for about 15 minutes. This does help with the pain at the time but then when I get out and put the cream on I'm back to hurting again. If I could stay in the tub day and night I would but I don't think that's good on the stitches. I'm soooo ready for this to be over with and knowing I'll have to go through it again really bothers me. I feel like right now I could just do without a vagina all together. It sucks women have to go through all this and men don't go through nearly as much.

I'm so glad I have someone to vent to and discuss this suff with. My family has no idea what I'm going through they just know that I had to have the surgery to prevent it from turning into cancer. Coming from a very religious family I couldn't tell them why I have it. My mother would tell me I'm going to hell for sure.

I'm going to contact the doctor tomorrow to see if they can put me on something else.

Thanks again!
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322

Becky,
    Thanks for replying

Becky,
    Thanks for replying again. My doctor has me taking 600mg of Motrin 4 times a day and 5/325 Percocets 4 times a day. I've been trying to hold off on the percocets for when I really need them. Usually when I know I have to pee I'll hold off on going till I think they've kicked in. As soon as I urinate I immediately soak in the tub for about 15 minutes. This does help with the pain at the time but then when I get out and put the cream on I'm back to hurting again. If I could stay in the tub day and night I would but I don't think that's good on the stitches. I'm soooo ready for this to be over with and knowing I'll have to go through it again really bothers me. I feel like right now I could just do without a vagina all together. It sucks women have to go through all this and men don't go through nearly as much.

I'm so glad I have someone to vent to and discuss this suff with. My family has no idea what I'm going through they just know that I had to have the surgery to prevent it from turning into cancer. Coming from a very religious family I couldn't tell them why I have it. My mother would tell me I'm going to hell for sure.

I'm going to contact the doctor tomorrow to see if they can put me on something else.

Thanks again!

Alone,
    I hope that by

Alone,
    I hope that by putting your heads together, you and your docs, that you come up with a plan that works. Pain meds didn't do much for the bathroom problem, but the lidocaine helped tremendously.
  • funbeadgirl
    funbeadgirl Member Posts: 181 Member
    vulvectomy
    I am so sorry to hear for your pain, but I want to tell you from personal experience it will get better. I was diagnosed with a very rare form of vulvar cancer last Dec. 23 and had surgery Jan 12, I had a partial radical vulvectomy on the right side, basically they removed 1/2 the vulva on the right. My incision went from top to perineum area, so I honestly know what you are talking about.
    What I was told was to use a squirt bottle, like you would ketchup in ( you can get them at grocery store) and fill with warm water, use it to flush after urination, it really helps. Also, do not wipe, but dab dry. Go without underwear too, and let it get air. I would also ask doc for some proper laxatives to take, while you are on the percoset, pain meds have a tendency to cause painful bowel movements, also eat a diet that does not have a lot of roughage in it. BRAT diet, bananas, rice,forgot the a part, and toast. Get lots of fluid s too.
    I also had 5 1/2 weeks radiation to full pelvic area, front and back...talk about discomfort, but I did same things as above for that too. I f you have any other questions re: this surgery I would be glad to talk to you about it, there are many issues that will come up relating to this type of surgery for women...and you will not go to hell from getting cancer on your genitals. Cancer is non discriminate, it hits all types of people in all types of circumstances. I know a lot of women are afraid and embarassed to discuss vulvar cancer because of the stigma associated with it, but that only perpetuates misinformation and closes minds to information. One of the things that I was so upset about is that when you tell someone you have vulvar cancer they don't know what it is and when you tell them, it's like you did something to cause it. Don't be ashamed, be informed!
    I wish you the best to get through this, and I am glad yours was not cancer, but it is still hard to go through. Take care of yourself, you will feel better every day...keep your chin up sister, you will make it through!
  • poopsie
    poopsie Member Posts: 8
    not alone
    my name is pam The 9th of January I had surgery on the vulva and anus area to remove pre-cancerous cells . The surgery went and the pain was so bad it seemed like whatever they put me on it didn't take the pain away . After only 6 days the hospital wanted me to go back to remove the stitches. I told them I couldn't walk or drive that far in this much pain. I come back the 26 of january, when I went back to see the dr. at this time he removed the one the wouldn't dissolve on there own. He told me then that the cancer spot at the anus was cancer and I was given 3 choices .The one I went with was radiation they already did the surgury so it was really the only opption I had. I went to the radiation doctor feb 27 2009 and started my radiation, not knowing what to expect.7 weeks later it was over with and a life time of wondering will it come back.
    I remember sitting in the shower just to pee because it felt like something was tearing my skin off , the burning was the worse I ever had. what they did not tell me was I lost everything down below from valva to clitorous, feeling like a freak as well as feeling I would never feel like a woman. It still bothers me, but then again I am alive. I did find out epson salts helped and I dont think I could of made it without the lidocain jelly, I hope this will help somewhat , take care and don't give up ....Pam
  • LCME
    LCME Member Posts: 10
    poopsie said:

not alone
    my name is pam The 9th of January I had surgery on the vulva and anus area to remove pre-cancerous cells . The surgery went and the pain was so bad it seemed like whatever they put me on it didn't take the pain away . After only 6 days the hospital wanted me to go back to remove the stitches. I told them I couldn't walk or drive that far in this much pain. I come back the 26 of january, when I went back to see the dr. at this time he removed the one the wouldn't dissolve on there own. He told me then that the cancer spot at the anus was cancer and I was given 3 choices .The one I went with was radiation they already did the surgury so it was really the only opption I had. I went to the radiation doctor feb 27 2009 and started my radiation, not knowing what to expect.7 weeks later it was over with and a life time of wondering will it come back.
    I remember sitting in the shower just to pee because it felt like something was tearing my skin off , the burning was the worse I ever had. what they did not tell me was I lost everything down below from valva to clitorous, feeling like a freak as well as feeling I would never feel like a woman. It still bothers me, but then again I am alive. I did find out epson salts helped and I dont think I could of made it without the lidocain jelly, I hope this will help somewhat , take care and don't give up ....Pam

VIN3
    Hi Pam, I just had surgery December 21, 2009 and followed up with a different doctor in Mt. Sinai in NYC today, he found more cells that were left during surgery, he did a biopsy today. Something I never expected 2 weeks after surgery. the area wouldn't stop bleeding so he try to cauterize it, the pain was awful I cried for 10 minutes, he gave me Aldara cream to use till April. If abnormal cells then I will have laser surgery. This is an awful thing, so scary. I'm so sorry about your surgery. So they didn't know the area at the anus was cancer until after you came back for suture removal? Sounds like something you think they'd mention earlier, and not telling you about what was done during surgery is frightening. I feel for you, what an awful way to find out. Was plastic surgery offered? You are still a woman, we just have to make the best of what we have. Being alive is more important. What area are you from? Well get through this.
  • AloneNConfused
    poopsie said:

not alone

Pam
    Pam, I completely understand the pain when you have to use the restroom. As recommended in previous posts I have been using a squirt bottle when I pee, it has helped tremendously with the pain. I went to the doctor yesterday to have all stitches removed. I really wanted to kick my doctor! He refused to numb the area at all which really made it hurt even worse. After 3 attempts and crying histerically I made him put my lidocaine jelly on the area before he tried to remove any more. He afterwards tolds me that I don't have cancer and the worse part is over. I know I should be happy, but I felt like crap walking out of his office. I'm terrified this will come back again. I'm a single parent and I can't lose my job to keep dealing with it.

I've decided to look for a new doctor. I've not had much luck with the gyno and oncologist I've been seeing. The gyno told me a year and a half ago that it was just vaginal eczema. I'm so angry at them for mis diagnosing me and often wonder if I would've gone through any of this had they taken the time to find out what it really was. I want a doctor to give me facts, not opinions and one that will express some sort of compassion and understanding when I talk to them, not one who makes me feel like I'm just another paycheck to them.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow to get his opinion on everything. I'm considering just sticking with him. I just haven't been 100% comfortable having him examine everything for me since I see him once a month as it is for other health issues.

I do have a question though... Now that my burn is healing I have almost constant itching in that area. What can I do to help with that??

Mindy
  • LCME

Pam
    Pam, I completely understand the pain when you have to use the restroom. As recommended in previous posts I have been using a squirt bottle when I pee, it has helped tremendously with the pain. I went to the doctor yesterday to have all stitches removed. I really wanted to kick my doctor! He refused to numb the area at all which really made it hurt even worse. After 3 attempts and crying histerically I made him put my lidocaine jelly on the area before he tried to remove any more. He afterwards tolds me that I don't have cancer and the worse part is over. I know I should be happy, but I felt like crap walking out of his office. I'm terrified this will come back again. I'm a single parent and I can't lose my job to keep dealing with it.

I've decided to look for a new doctor. I've not had much luck with the gyno and oncologist I've been seeing. The gyno told me a year and a half ago that it was just vaginal eczema. I'm so angry at them for mis diagnosing me and often wonder if I would've gone through any of this had they taken the time to find out what it really was. I want a doctor to give me facts, not opinions and one that will express some sort of compassion and understanding when I talk to them, not one who makes me feel like I'm just another paycheck to them.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow to get his opinion on everything. I'm considering just sticking with him. I just haven't been 100% comfortable having him examine everything for me since I see him once a month as it is for other health issues.

I do have a question though... Now that my burn is healing I have almost constant itching in that area. What can I do to help with that??

Mindy

Itching
    Mindy:

I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I asked for a script for Lidocaine to help numb the area. Still awaiting answer from Oncologist. Did your doctor do laser on you? I had a wide marginal excision done, but oncologist wants to do laser in April again. My gyno did original surgery but I switched two weeks after surgery because she too is a ****. I'm seeing an Oncologist at Mt. Sinai in NYC, not Mr. Personable but more knowledgable than Gyno, she wanted me to return in 6 months after surgery. I was the one who prompted her for biopsy after she told me to see a Dermatologist. She insisted at first it was a yeast infection and then said it was an allergic response to something. I understand what you are talking about. I await your response.

Linda
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Itching
    Mindy:

I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy. I asked for a script for Lidocaine to help numb the area. Still awaiting answer from Oncologist. Did your doctor do laser on you? I had a wide marginal excision done, but oncologist wants to do laser in April again. My gyno did original surgery but I switched two weeks after surgery because she too is a ****. I'm seeing an Oncologist at Mt. Sinai in NYC, not Mr. Personable but more knowledgable than Gyno, she wanted me to return in 6 months after surgery. I was the one who prompted her for biopsy after she told me to see a Dermatologist. She insisted at first it was a yeast infection and then said it was an allergic response to something. I understand what you are talking about. I await your response.

Linda

Linda
    My doctor did both laser and excision. I use the lidocaine and it's not much help. I don't think it's strong enough. I have also used Benedryl (oral capsules) which was recommended by a pharmacist. It's helped a little bit but not like want it to. It amazes me how many gynos misdiagnose this. I'm definitely going to stick with finding another gyno, I have an appointment on the 14th to meet with a new one my aunt referred me to. She too has been through all of this. She's had laser ablation done 3 times and has told me that each time it's a little easier since she knows what to look for and catches it early. Although the pain and itching is the same, the treatment itself isn't as bad. I wish you the best on your upcoming appointments with the oncologist and stick to your guns. If you don't like what they have to say, keep looking.

Mindy
  • LCME

Linda
    My doctor did both laser and excision. I use the lidocaine and it's not much help. I don't think it's strong enough. I have also used Benedryl (oral capsules) which was recommended by a pharmacist. It's helped a little bit but not like want it to. It amazes me how many gynos misdiagnose this. I'm definitely going to stick with finding another gyno, I have an appointment on the 14th to meet with a new one my aunt referred me to. She too has been through all of this. She's had laser ablation done 3 times and has told me that each time it's a little easier since she knows what to look for and catches it early. Although the pain and itching is the same, the treatment itself isn't as bad. I wish you the best on your upcoming appointments with the oncologist and stick to your guns. If you don't like what they have to say, keep looking.

Mindy

Nobody listens
    Mindy:
    Thanks for replying, I too am shocked that gynos really don't know what they are looking at. Our surgeries were very close in date. How do you feel? I know you are itchy like me. How can we tell the difference from normal itching to abnormal itching? I understand laser usually has to be done a few times and usually the cure rate is 95 percent and it keeps it at bay for at least 5 years. I bet the laser must have hurt? If my most recent biopsy is positive then I will try the Aldara creme and in April when I return he will see if it worked, if not then he will do the laser at that time. How old are you? And how old is your Aunt? I'm 46. I don't smoke do either of you? I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Do wither of you have an autoimmune disorder because I heard it may be related to endocrine disorders. I am asking these questions because our medical community doesn't seem to know anything. Maybe there is another link besides HPV, because many women have HPV and never get this. I am married 20 yrs and can count on one hand my sexual experiences
    I went to school with girls who slept with everyone and none of them got this. I am very frustrated as well as sad and sometimes depressed. I can't relax, I worry if and when it will come back? if it will be invasive? will we catch it? Or will I become something of a freak as they keep taking more tissue and cutting me open, someday to maybe lose my genitals completely? Family and friends don't understand, they think it isn't cancer so move on. Or that maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm upset about using all my vacation time for doctor appointments, surgeries, etc. Is this what life has become being worried if this is ever going to stop? I just am not myself since this. I am sad, pissed off as well and mentally drained. I'm glad I can tell you my stuff since I know you understand. Where are you from? I'm from the NYC area. Awaiting my biopsy results I guess I'll get them next week. I am now changing my underwear a few times a day and washing with a soft cloth with warm water only, it is helping a bit with itching. no more soap, no more dyes and perfumes in laundry detegents as well as fabric softeners. I am washing my underwear separate with a double rinse. And no more shaving too close in that area
    Ok thanks for listening, keep in touch. Linda BTW: How close were your Aunts surgeries?
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:
    Thanks for replying, I too am shocked that gynos really don't know what they are looking at. Our surgeries were very close in date. How do you feel? I know you are itchy like me. How can we tell the difference from normal itching to abnormal itching? I understand laser usually has to be done a few times and usually the cure rate is 95 percent and it keeps it at bay for at least 5 years. I bet the laser must have hurt? If my most recent biopsy is positive then I will try the Aldara creme and in April when I return he will see if it worked, if not then he will do the laser at that time. How old are you? And how old is your Aunt? I'm 46. I don't smoke do either of you? I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Do wither of you have an autoimmune disorder because I heard it may be related to endocrine disorders. I am asking these questions because our medical community doesn't seem to know anything. Maybe there is another link besides HPV, because many women have HPV and never get this. I am married 20 yrs and can count on one hand my sexual experiences
    I went to school with girls who slept with everyone and none of them got this. I am very frustrated as well as sad and sometimes depressed. I can't relax, I worry if and when it will come back? if it will be invasive? will we catch it? Or will I become something of a freak as they keep taking more tissue and cutting me open, someday to maybe lose my genitals completely? Family and friends don't understand, they think it isn't cancer so move on. Or that maybe I'm feeling sorry for myself. I'm upset about using all my vacation time for doctor appointments, surgeries, etc. Is this what life has become being worried if this is ever going to stop? I just am not myself since this. I am sad, pissed off as well and mentally drained. I'm glad I can tell you my stuff since I know you understand. Where are you from? I'm from the NYC area. Awaiting my biopsy results I guess I'll get them next week. I am now changing my underwear a few times a day and washing with a soft cloth with warm water only, it is helping a bit with itching. no more soap, no more dyes and perfumes in laundry detegents as well as fabric softeners. I am washing my underwear separate with a double rinse. And no more shaving too close in that area
    Ok thanks for listening, keep in touch. Linda BTW: How close were your Aunts surgeries?

Keep your head up!
    Linda,
    Today I feel better than I have all week. I only ended up in the tub once last night so maybe it's almost over. As far as the itching goes I still itch at night which is how it was before surgery so I don't really know if it's because of it healing or not. I guess I won't really know until it's 100% better. To answer your question about the laser part I honestly don't know since my doctor did both at the same time. I do know that where he lasered it's a burn and it's still sensitive. I'm jealous you can wear panties. I'm stuck in dresses and skirts to keep it "aired out". I did attempt mens lounge pants and that was a mistake it seemed to do more harm than good I hurt so bad the next day.

About me personally... I just turned 30 New Years Eve and I reside in the Kansas City area. Overall I'm pretty healthy other than I'm at high risk for diabetes and I do smoke. The smoking I was told will greatly increase my chances of this coming back so I've started to cut back and will hopefully be done before the end of the month. Although I've not exactly been an angel, I don't think of myself as a person who's laid around. I've always been picky about who've I've messed around with and have always made it clear to them that I'm it, there's to be no one else. I can relate to how you feel about HPV. I contacted my old gyno to make sure there was actually a test done and there was and it was positive. I have told a few close friends and they really made me feel like crap. They made me feel like I was dirty and just whored around. I was thinking to myself, I had sex and I apparently made some bad choices but the only difference is I know. Now I know who my real friends are.

My aunt has had 3 surgeries, I know her last one was 2 years apart from the second one. I feel weird talking to her about my problem because she's my aunt and all. I just figure she obviously has first hand knowledge and doctors try to sugarcoat everything which I hate.

I've been off work since December 22nd and I can't wait to go back. I've always been an active person and being home all the time and dealing with all of this is depressing me. Thankfully I have FMLA and a boss who is very understanding and keeps reminding me that it'd do more harm than good for me to return to work before I'm certain I can deal with it. The pay is killing me to. I have my rent and bills paid and my smart dad made me pay ahead on some of them so I'm good there. LOL I told my father this is the most expensive surgery I've ever had in my life. I'm always making trips to Walgreens to find something to help with the pain or itching.

I too worry about if and when this will return. I don't like missing work and using all my time to deal with female problems, especially since I've only been with my company for a year. I really wonder how we'll deal with all of this when Obama's healthcare deal kicks in. I pray god comes back before we ever have to deal with that.

You're in my thoughts and remember to keep your head up! :o)

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,
    Today I feel better than I have all week. I only ended up in the tub once last night so maybe it's almost over. As far as the itching goes I still itch at night which is how it was before surgery so I don't really know if it's because of it healing or not. I guess I won't really know until it's 100% better. To answer your question about the laser part I honestly don't know since my doctor did both at the same time. I do know that where he lasered it's a burn and it's still sensitive. I'm jealous you can wear panties. I'm stuck in dresses and skirts to keep it "aired out". I did attempt mens lounge pants and that was a mistake it seemed to do more harm than good I hurt so bad the next day.

About me personally... I just turned 30 New Years Eve and I reside in the Kansas City area. Overall I'm pretty healthy other than I'm at high risk for diabetes and I do smoke. The smoking I was told will greatly increase my chances of this coming back so I've started to cut back and will hopefully be done before the end of the month. Although I've not exactly been an angel, I don't think of myself as a person who's laid around. I've always been picky about who've I've messed around with and have always made it clear to them that I'm it, there's to be no one else. I can relate to how you feel about HPV. I contacted my old gyno to make sure there was actually a test done and there was and it was positive. I have told a few close friends and they really made me feel like crap. They made me feel like I was dirty and just whored around. I was thinking to myself, I had sex and I apparently made some bad choices but the only difference is I know. Now I know who my real friends are.

My aunt has had 3 surgeries, I know her last one was 2 years apart from the second one. I feel weird talking to her about my problem because she's my aunt and all. I just figure she obviously has first hand knowledge and doctors try to sugarcoat everything which I hate.

I've been off work since December 22nd and I can't wait to go back. I've always been an active person and being home all the time and dealing with all of this is depressing me. Thankfully I have FMLA and a boss who is very understanding and keeps reminding me that it'd do more harm than good for me to return to work before I'm certain I can deal with it. The pay is killing me to. I have my rent and bills paid and my smart dad made me pay ahead on some of them so I'm good there. LOL I told my father this is the most expensive surgery I've ever had in my life. I'm always making trips to Walgreens to find something to help with the pain or itching.

I too worry about if and when this will return. I don't like missing work and using all my time to deal with female problems, especially since I've only been with my company for a year. I really wonder how we'll deal with all of this when Obama's healthcare deal kicks in. I pray god comes back before we ever have to deal with that.

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy
  • AloneNConfused
    LCME said:

Nobody listens
    Mindy:

Keep your head up!
    Linda,

Mindy