Anyone else experience this?

terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy 3 weeks ago for DCIS and about 5 days ago my nipple became very sensitive and sore and my breast is swollen actually more than right after surgery, The incision is healed and not red but there is a small area of pinkish color about a half inch from the incision area. It bothers me more now than right after surgery. Has anyone else had this type of thing about three weeks after surgery. I called the nurse and she said maybe it was the nerves coming back to life in the nipple and there could be some swelling still. It seems to me the most swelling would be right after surgery not three weeks later. Any thoughts about would be appreciated.

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    See
    See your doctor-it might be an infection.
    Nurses are wonderful but you need to be seen to make sure everything is fine.

Hugs,
    Margo

P.S. let us know what you find out.
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233

See
    See your doctor-it might be an infection.
    Nurses are wonderful but you need to be seen to make sure everything is fine.

Hugs,
    Margo

P.S. let us know what you find out.

I agree
    I would get in to see the doc...dont take any chances!
  • terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    Sam726 said:

I agree
    I would get in to see the doc...dont take any chances!

thanks ladies
    I thought maybe I should but I didn't want to seem overly concerned but I think you both are right. I will call tomorrow and ask to be seen because I worry if it gets worse with the weekend coming up it could be a problem. Thanks for your advice. I'm going!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Terri.....
    I would get it looked at just to make sure there is no infection....... Have you not had your follow up with your surgeon yet? As far as the sensitivity of the nipple.......I had it for about 8 weeks following my lumpectomy......it about drove me nuts! I found by wearing a soft 100% cotton sports bra helped greatly as it kept anything from "rubbing" the nipple, thus less irriation and lessened the sensitivity.

I wish you the best....
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Hi Terri,
    I am almost 6

Hi Terri,
    I am almost 6 months out from my July lumpectomy for DCIS. It was about 4 months after surgery that my nipple started to feel strange. I'm pretty sure it was the sensation coming back. That's a lot longer past surgery than what you're describing. I had lots of swelling post surgery and rads (accelerated, so I was done by Sept. 4th) and it took about 2 months post rads for that to go away. About the same time the sensation started. Now the swelling is gone and that nipple is more sensitive than the unaffected one, in a good way (blush, blush). I still have soreness below the scar, where the cavity is. I have sore lymph nodes, I guess from the radiation, since no surgeon touched them (DCIS). But your spot of redness is concerning and I don't think it would be considered 'overreacting' if you asked the doctor to look at it. Go for it!
    ~~Connie~~
  • Victoria63
    Victoria63 Member Posts: 8
    I am on your schedule I think....
    I had my lympectomy 4 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago went through exasctly what you are experiencing. My nipple is more sore than right after surgery and the doc said that was the feeling coming back. I too had more swelling later as opposed to right after surgery and am still having some pain and swelling. Did an ultra sound yesterday to see if there was a pocket of fluid she could remove to make me more comfortable and there wasn't one as it is in the tissue. I didn't have any red areas so I am doing warm(not hot) wet compresses 2x daily and she is putting me on the list for the Lymphedema Clinic as she said sometimes you can get lymphedem in the breast instead of an arm or leg and it takes a while to get into the clinic to be checked out for it (not sure what that means). Then if it resolves itself over the next few weeks great I can cancel the clinic appt if not I won't have to wait so long later to be seen at the lymphedema clinic. Oh I have Invasive Ductile Carcinoma. 2 tumors 1.6 cm and 2.3 but my Oncotype numbers came back high risk so I start chemo in 2 weeks so I hope this reaolves before the next round of issues. LOL

I agree though the redness dose sound more like a mastitis (infection in the breast tissue) and no it's not over reacting...definitely call your doc. For immediate relief though warm compresses have really helped me alot. I hope you are in less pain soon.
    God Bless you!