Oncotype 15...still have to have chemo

Options
Tinabug
Tinabug Member Posts: 158
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My surgeon called & said I didn't have to have chemo on the 23rd of Dec(great Christmas present.) However, my oncologist, feels I will benefit from chemo. I can honestly say breast cancer is the worst roller coaster ride ever...I was told my biopsy said not cancer, but then it was cancer, no chemo, yes chemo!!! I am so confused, but I do trust my doctor so I will have chemo. Has anyone had a 15 on their test & still had chemo. I had a bilateral mastectomy on the 23rd of Nov., clear margins, clear lymph nodes, hormone positive, her-, Stage 1. My mom died of breast cancer when she was my age so my team of doctors have really taken that into account. I am scheduled to be tested for the BRAC1 & 2 this week, 4 hr bone scan next wk, & chest xray. I am pleased that my doctors are treating this agressively, but just upset that I have to have chemo after being told I didn't.

Thank you for letting me vent...I can't seem to stop crying right now. I guess I am going to cry like a girl today & "fight like a girl" again tomorrow. By the way, before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was addicted to FB. Now, I am addicted to this site & the wonderful people on it.

Thank you,
Tina

Comments

• LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    The Cancer Roller Coaster--
    a bunch of us are riding it with you, so you're not alone, Tina! It's crazy-making, isn't it?!

I had a "yes accelerated partial breast irradiation" "no, take it out, chemo first" ride. They put in the balloon catheter for the partial rads on a Wednesday, did a CT scan to locate it precisely on Thursday, and took it back out again on Friday. ARRRGHGH! My onco appt got moved up so I could start chemo faster. But the onco team failed to schedule my chemo port insertion, so it got moved back again . . . Roller Coaster ride indeed!

I keep hoping things will smooth out, but I have a feeling I shouldn't hope too hard! Thank goodness we have this wonderful place to come to where others understand what we're going through!

Hugs! Sandy
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hey Tina
    So sorry about the

Hey Tina
    So sorry about the chemo news, I kind of went through that with radiation. Surgeon said yes, Onc. said marginal. But I had the rads. And the chemo, and the surgery. And now that it's done I know that I did everything possible to prevent a recurrence. And that is why
    your Onc. wants you to do the chemo. Take every shot available so that you hopefully never have to go through this again. Good luck. It will be ok.
    Dee
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Tina
    So sorry about the

Hey Tina
    So sorry about the chemo news, I kind of went through that with radiation. Surgeon said yes, Onc. said marginal. But I had the rads. And the chemo, and the surgery. And now that it's done I know that I did everything possible to prevent a recurrence. And that is why
    your Onc. wants you to do the chemo. Take every shot available so that you hopefully never have to go through this again. Good luck. It will be ok.
    Dee

hi
    my test came back 17 onc said it was to high so i had chemo i had clear nodes and margins but i wanted to do all i could to make sure..

best of luck to you.
    teresa
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Hi Tina,
    So sorry you are on the roller coaster! I know we've all been there until the decisions are made and you have a firm plan. I'm also stage 1, ER/PR + and HER -; no one mentioned oncotype testing and had to ask for it myself....had to face that waiting game again as that is the one test those of us w/very small tumors and positive hormone markers can benefit the most. The key is, the oncotype score helps the onc to decide yes chemo or no chemo. My onc determined that because of tumor size - 4mm and tumor cell type, that I would no need oncotype testing at all. Nevertheless, still had to wait for another appt and 2 weeks in order to find out I would not need chemo.

Even waiting for rads was agonizing...you just want to do SOMETHING to kill the beast! Find a plan! You are in the right place here...thinking about you! Tell us how your other tests come out!

God Bless...Julie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    I am so sorry that you have to do chemo. I was lucky and didn't have to. I am sure that your oncologist is only doing what he or she feels is necessary for you to overcome bc and be cancer free. Good luck Tina!

Debby