port removal

At a visit with my oncologist yesterday, he scheduled for my port to be removed 12/21. I am just one year in remission from stage IVA cervical ca. Is this to soon?

Comments

• naggymaggie
    naggymaggie Member Posts: 15
    Port removal
    I think one year post treatment sounds right but check out the topic of long term side effects of treatment on the main forum board. There is a subsection discussion about port removal. Good luck on Monday!
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322

Port removal
    I think one year post treatment sounds right but check out the topic of long term side effects of treatment on the main forum board. There is a subsection discussion about port removal. Good luck on Monday!

thanks
    thanks maggie...hope your holiday season goes smoothly and beautifully!
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    beckyracn said:

thanks
    thanks maggie...hope your holiday season goes smoothly and beautifully!

port removal went well. Site
    port removal went well. Site was healing nicely. On day eleven it started getting red...day 12 it was definitely infected and oozing pus. Started out new years day meeting my surgeon at the er to lance and pack the site (no local...ouch!). Antibiotics they put me on wasn't helping, still spreading. Started me on another antibiotic, this one working. Back to doc yesterday and cut open and packed again (this time with a local...no pain). This was not how I planned to start the new year. Hope it's not a glimpse of the year ahead!
  • naggymaggie
    naggymaggie Member Posts: 15
    beckyracn said:

port removal went well. Site
    port removal went well. Site was healing nicely. On day eleven it started getting red...day 12 it was definitely infected and oozing pus. Started out new years day meeting my surgeon at the er to lance and pack the site (no local...ouch!). Antibiotics they put me on wasn't helping, still spreading. Started me on another antibiotic, this one working. Back to doc yesterday and cut open and packed again (this time with a local...no pain). This was not how I planned to start the new year. Hope it's not a glimpse of the year ahead!

port
    I hope your wound is healing and that the antibiotics kill those nasty skin germs. Just a bump in the road I am sure- 2009 is gone we have a fresh slate in 2010! I wish everyone a very Happy New Year filled with wise, sympathetic medical- caregivers and lots of love and support from family and friends!