Arimidex

Dot53
Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can anyone give some information of the drug Arimidex? My oncologist wants me to take it for the next 5 years. I went to the Arimidex website and the side effects look terrible. Also, my concern is that I have rheumatoid arthritis and already take methotrexate which has similar side effects. Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you.
Dot

Comments

• terri805
    terri805 Member Posts: 122
    me to
    My treatment plan includes Arimidex also along with radiation after my re excision to get wider margins. I to am worried about the side effects from both radiation and Arimidex. My daughters boyfriends mother has been taking it for about three years and she said she has not had any sides effects from it.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hi
    I started arimidex. Lots

Hi
    I started arimidex. Lots of joint pain. I've discussed changing drugs, but I am post menopausal so I don't have to worry about uterine cancer , which is the worry with Tamox.
    I also started on zometa to strengthen the bones and I have to take calcium. My joints ache
    constantly, especially in the extreme cold we're having now. I agreed to try arimedex for 3 months to see if it gets better, and if not I'll try something else. Be sure to let your Onc. know if it causes you more pain, but with your already having arthritis......? yikes...I'd be concerned too.
    Good luck
    Dee
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I do not have arthritis, so
    I do not have arthritis, so I cannot address that part of your concern. But I did take Arimidex for the full 5 years, and I finished the regimine almost a year ago! I didn't experience many side effects at all! I was able to participate in numerous 5 and 10K's, a half marathon, I went zip-lining, took salsa dance lessons, swam with dolphins ( YAY), etc etc. I was never an athlete, and I am not an athlete now, and I am 60 years old. Any aches and pains I had during Arimidex I chalked up to age! LOL Since completeing 5 years I joined Jazzercise and I walk 8 miles three times a week, and I did another half-marathon.

I hope this gives you a positive spin! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    chenheart said:

I do not have arthritis, so
    I do not have arthritis, so I cannot address that part of your concern. But I did take Arimidex for the full 5 years, and I finished the regimine almost a year ago! I didn't experience many side effects at all! I was able to participate in numerous 5 and 10K's, a half marathon, I went zip-lining, took salsa dance lessons, swam with dolphins ( YAY), etc etc. I was never an athlete, and I am not an athlete now, and I am 60 years old. Any aches and pains I had during Arimidex I chalked up to age! LOL Since completeing 5 years I joined Jazzercise and I walk 8 miles three times a week, and I did another half-marathon.

I hope this gives you a positive spin! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thank you all for your
    Thank you all for your perspective... I am going to meet with my rheumetologist tommorrow to discuss. Just worried about taking all these different drugs....
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    SE of Arimidex
    I've been taking Arimidex for almost 6 months, following lumpectomy and rads. For me, the first 3 months were the toughest, as my onc said they might be - frequent hot flashes day and night, hip, ankle/foot and hand pains. Maybe it's because of all the cold weather, but hot flashes are down to 1-2 a day (usually in the evening). Most pain now is in my right hand. I've never had an indication of arthritis or joint pain there before, but it's pretty rough at times. I'm losing strength in the hand, too. But I'm going to do my best to tough it out for the 5 years.
    Good luck to all!
    -rainbow4
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    bumping this up for
    bumping this up for xskeetshooter!