any one taking Herceptin? what's that like?

Options
wan1135
wan1135 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Starting Chemo tomorrow for the second time. This time will be getting Herceptin & Taxel. Never had either. Is there anyone out there currently or have had these meds. Wondering what the side effects will be like. I know there different with each person. Not looking forward 2 tomorrow at all. Just got my hair back after 5yrs & here I go again.

Comments

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Herceptin
    Wan1135

I'm so sorry that you have to face this beast another time. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I am currently on Herceptin, I had AC then Taxol Herceptin and now just the Herceptin. I tolerate the Herceptin really well, it honestly dosen't affect me. Trust me I had every bad side effect in the book with the others. The only real side effect I get is from the steriods I receive before the Herceptin. The next day my face gets crimson red and puffy it lasts for about 4 hours, so I try not to schedule any appointments with the public on that day. Just because I look like a red playground ball. Don't worry I know that you will do great. Love Surf
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

Herceptin
    Wan1135

I'm so sorry that you have to face this beast another time. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. I am currently on Herceptin, I had AC then Taxol Herceptin and now just the Herceptin. I tolerate the Herceptin really well, it honestly dosen't affect me. Trust me I had every bad side effect in the book with the others. The only real side effect I get is from the steriods I receive before the Herceptin. The next day my face gets crimson red and puffy it lasts for about 4 hours, so I try not to schedule any appointments with the public on that day. Just because I look like a red playground ball. Don't worry I know that you will do great. Love Surf

Herceptin
    I first had A/C and the Taxol w/Herceptin and now Herceptin alone. Taxol is not as bad as A/C and Herceptin is not a chemo drug. Your provider should monitor your heart while you are on Herceptin. Herceptin targets the extra protein genes that caused the HER2+ cancer and strangles the extra protein genes so they don't live anywhere else in our body. I was told the longer you can be on Herceptin the better. Minimum I was told is once a week for 3 months. I will be on Herceptin until the end of August.

Margo
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    Options
    hi I have had 2 doses of
    hi I have had 2 doses of herceptin ( no real side effects from it) I will be getting it every 3 weeks till Nov... Good luck to you.....(((hugs))) Lisa
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

hi I have had 2 doses of
    hi I have had 2 doses of herceptin ( no real side effects from it) I will be getting it every 3 weeks till Nov... Good luck to you.....(((hugs))) Lisa

taxol/herceptin
    I had the taxol/herceptin treatments ... and it went much better than I'd expected. All I really cared about was that I didn't get sick to my stomach... and I didn't. Not one bit. I did have other side-effects ... lost my hair ... skin rashes ... exhaustion ... nail problems ... constipation ... etc. ... but nothing that I couldn't deal with. I finished the taxol part the end of May but am still having herceptin every 3 weeks until March (one year from start of chemo).

hugs.
    teena
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    tgf said:

taxol/herceptin
    I had the taxol/herceptin treatments ... and it went much better than I'd expected. All I really cared about was that I didn't get sick to my stomach... and I didn't. Not one bit. I did have other side-effects ... lost my hair ... skin rashes ... exhaustion ... nail problems ... constipation ... etc. ... but nothing that I couldn't deal with. I finished the taxol part the end of May but am still having herceptin every 3 weeks until March (one year from start of chemo).

hugs.
    teena

Hi there
    Im on Herceptin also..just finished 6 rounds along with taxotere/carboplatin. I will continue for 1 yr, every 3 weeks on Herceptin. No side effects...Ive been told it may cause a headache. I had several headaches thru chemo but who knows, that was probaby from the chemo, lol!!
    Sam
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    herceptin
    I did 6 months taxotera, carboplatin,herceptin,,,,,,,,,,,, and 6 months of just herceptin.

I had NO side effects from herceptin. Now just taking tamoxifin.

Bill S
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Bill.S said:

herceptin
    I did 6 months taxotera, carboplatin,herceptin,,,,,,,,,,,, and 6 months of just herceptin.

Bill S

Bill
    Nice to hear from you.

Bill

Nice to hear from you. It has been quite awhile. It has been nice to hear from several of our peoples from the past. Hope all is going well. I know that work was an issue when last we heard from you. Hope that has been resolved.
    Stef
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Bill.S said:

herceptin

Bill S

Bill
    Bill,
    It is nice to see you on the sight again.
    You have been missed.

Margo
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options

Bill
    Bill,
    It is nice to see you on the sight again.
    You have been missed.

Margo

4round Ac 12 rounds taxol
    4round Ac 12 rounds taxol with herceptin, now just herceptin and Tamoxifen. No real side affects. Just have them watch your heart.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Bill.S said:

herceptin

Bill S

Bill!
    Where have you been hiding yourself? We've missed you!!