anyone have stage 2 w/positive lymph node w/"extrusion"?

lukesmom
lukesmom Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I can't seem to find out what it means for possible recurrance, to have a lymph node with extrusion, where cells are on the outside of the node. I had 2 involved nodes, one with this extrusion issue. Just had a bilateral with tissue expanders (that's another story altogether!) but of course am wondering about the future. Does anyone else have this type of issue?

Comments

• prv
    prv Member Posts: 107
    yes
    I had infiltrating lobular carcinoma on my left breast with two positive nodes with one showing extracapsular extension of the tumor cells into the surrounding tissue of the lymph node. I had bilateral mastectomies as there is a greater chance of lobular being bilateral (isolated focus of in situ lobular was found on my right side). Extracapuslar extension (extrusion) means that after traveling through the lymphatics and arriving at the lymph nodes the tumor cells were able to extend or grow beyond the lymph node into the surrounding tissue.
    Not as good as if they hadn't done this, but my onc doc wasn't that concerned. My rad onc doc said it wasn't a good thing. But it isn't used for staging or anything like that. My onc doc still says I have only a 10% chance of recurrance even though I had this.