Anyone taken the drug Femara?

Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have completed chemo and radiation and now my Onc. wants me to take this Estrogen blocker.
I would really like to hear about anyone elses experience on this med.
Thanks,
Lighthouse_7

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Femara
    I've beem talking Femara since September. So far the side effects are minimal...just some hot flashes. 4 months is not a long time, so I don't know what, if any, other SE might arise. Femara weakens bone, so I also have a monthl infusion of Zometa. So far, so good.
  • dmc_emmy
    dmc_emmy Member Posts: 549
    Femara--
    I know that many women do not have a problem with this drug; however, I fell into the 1% that had every side effect. Finally, on May 12th of this year (the day I joined this site) I quit taking it and, after several months, I no longer felt the effects of the drug.

I suffered from extreme joint pain, increased neuropathy symptoms, hair loss, weight gain, insomina, water retention, swelling of limbs, and loss of appetite. These were the least of the effects and I decided to continue the drug regardless of the pain I had go through because I wanted to increase my chances of longevity.

What forced me into making the decision to stop Femara were the mood swings, depression, and the my inability to control my emotions. I'm a fairly even-tempered individual, but I didn't recognize myself. I had suicidal thoughts and cried at the drop of hat. I "ran away" from home (for a two-day retreat in a nearby town) so I could have time away from my husband (whom I dearly love) just so I didn't have to deal with anything. My daughter didn't want to be around me, that hurt the most.

I was losing my family and, though I was willing to sacrific many things for the sake of being here for my family, I was not willing to sacrifice losing my family in order to be here for them. If that makes sense.

That said, know that many women do not have these severe side effects and, supposedly, it is a safer drug than tamoxifin (which I could not take due to a blood clotting disorder). If you're asking for advice, I would suggest that you try Femara, or any other Estrogen-blocker that your onc suggests. It is my understanding that it takes about a month before the drug takes full effet, so you'll have to be on it for at least that long. If it causes severe side effects which you cannot tolerate under any circumstances, there are other drugs on the market that you can try (I tried all the drugs allowable by my BCBS insurance). I figured I owed my family that much and I do not have any regrets for trying or for quitting.

Everyone's body responds differently to the treatments and, there is a very good chance that you will be one of the fortunate ones.

Wish you well.
    dmc
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    dmc_emmy said:

Femara--
    I know that many women do not have a problem with this drug; however, I fell into the 1% that had every side effect. Finally, on May 12th of this year (the day I joined this site) I quit taking it and, after several months, I no longer felt the effects of the drug.

I suffered from extreme joint pain, increased neuropathy symptoms, hair loss, weight gain, insomina, water retention, swelling of limbs, and loss of appetite. These were the least of the effects and I decided to continue the drug regardless of the pain I had go through because I wanted to increase my chances of longevity.

What forced me into making the decision to stop Femara were the mood swings, depression, and the my inability to control my emotions. I'm a fairly even-tempered individual, but I didn't recognize myself. I had suicidal thoughts and cried at the drop of hat. I "ran away" from home (for a two-day retreat in a nearby town) so I could have time away from my husband (whom I dearly love) just so I didn't have to deal with anything. My daughter didn't want to be around me, that hurt the most.

I was losing my family and, though I was willing to sacrific many things for the sake of being here for my family, I was not willing to sacrifice losing my family in order to be here for them. If that makes sense.

That said, know that many women do not have these severe side effects and, supposedly, it is a safer drug than tamoxifin (which I could not take due to a blood clotting disorder). If you're asking for advice, I would suggest that you try Femara, or any other Estrogen-blocker that your onc suggests. It is my understanding that it takes about a month before the drug takes full effet, so you'll have to be on it for at least that long. If it causes severe side effects which you cannot tolerate under any circumstances, there are other drugs on the market that you can try (I tried all the drugs allowable by my BCBS insurance). I figured I owed my family that much and I do not have any regrets for trying or for quitting.

Everyone's body responds differently to the treatments and, there is a very good chance that you will be one of the fortunate ones.

Wish you well.
    dmc

Similar discussion
    http://csn.cancer.org/node/175760
    In addition, if you conduct search on Femara you can find many posts on Femara as well
  • jski
    jski Member Posts: 2
    Femara
    I am currently in my fourth month of taking Femara. I have hot flashes on
    a regular basis. I experience some joint pain, nothing that really effects
    my daily activities. I have increased my physical exercise and that seems
    to have counteracted the tendency to gain weight. Any other side effects have
    been minimal and not worth mentioning.
  • mdncollins
    mdncollins Member Posts: 1
    dmc_emmy said:

Femara--

Wish you well.
    dmc

Femara
    dmc -- thanks for your post. I am a 2-time breast cancer survivor and have been on Tamoxifen 5 yrs. and now on Femara for 2 yrs. I had minimal side effects from Tamoxifen first time around, but am having horrible irritability and depression now on Femara. I am also getting Zometa treatment (for bone loss) w/Femara, but don't feel that is causing these drastic mood swings.

I completely understand your wanting to run away. I am afraid my husband is at his last straw with my emotional instability. I am not normally like this either and face that same decision to extend my life vs. quality of life. I will discuss w/my oncologist at end of month, but am certain she will want to prescribe antidepressants and keep my on Femara. I have not had good luck w/many antidepressants in the past and am very afraid to throw that in the mix now.

I am sorry you also had to go through this, but am feeling a little better knowing it is not just me that is experiencing this.
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    I am in the same boat. My
    I am in the same boat. My med onc has recommended Femara for me but I have not made the decision on whether to take it or not. I had bc recurrance this year. I was on Tamox for 4 1/2 yrs after 1st cancer and had some side effects that I don't want to go thru again. I will be reading the responses with interest and hope we both get some good info. Take care. Marilyn
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

I am in the same boat. My med onc has recommended Femara for me but I have not made the decision on whether to take it or not. I had bc recurrance this year. I was on Tamox for 4 1/2 yrs after 1st cancer and had some side effects that I don't want to go thru again. I will be reading the responses with interest and hope we both get some good info. Take care. Marilyn

Pat
    just another one about femara
  • Lighthouse_7
    Femara
    Thanks for all the feedback. I just started it on Tuesday. I only hope that I don't get the most severe of side effects.
    My Onc. has made no mention of the other drug for bones. He just said to take daily calcuim.
    Do you think the other drug might have caused the reactions, or was it the Femara?
    Thanks for any help.
    Lighthouse_7
  • Lighthouse_7

Femara
    Marilyn,
    I am so sorry that your bc came back. That is one of the things that I dread about taking anything right now. Even after you took Tamox for 4 years it came back!
    It just doesn't seem fair that after going thru chemo and radiation that you still have to take something for years now.
    Are you considering NOT taking anything?
    Best of Luck.
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    Just started, too!
    Hi! I am new to these postings. I have just completed my first month on Femara. I have experienced bone & joint paint & some sleep issues. I have begun my walking program again, and I think that helps. My cancer support friend tells me I should see a difference in a couple of months.

Good luck. I am so happy to have this network!
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Femara
    I recently joined this board but was DX two years ago. I started off with Femara and then switched to Arimidex - had severe muscle and joint pain with both drugs plus insomnia and hot flashes. I'm now taking Tamox even tho I'm post menopausal and the muscle/joint pain is tolerable and the hot flashes are not as frequent. I'm not crazy about the side effects of any of these drugs. Sort of feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard palce! Good luck with your treatment and I hope you can be side effect free.
  • Cairmaid
    Cairmaid Member Posts: 64
    On Femara for 4 weeks
    I'm coming up on 4 weeks of Femara. I also take a mega-dose of Vitamin D once a week (for another 8 weeks) and a calcium supplement. I just read a great idea in another thread about making a pre-medication assessment of all your aches, pains, difficulty sleeping, frequency of hot flashes, etc. so you know what's new since starting the meds.

I'm having muscle aches, but they're mostly tolerable; when they get bad enough, I take Tylenol. They started about the second week. I'm having more frequent hot flashes but, like I told the doctor, it's the only time I'm warm so I'm enjoying them...I slept all of Tuesday night without a blanket :-)
  • Lighthouse_7
    dmc_emmy said:

Femara--

Wish you well.
    dmc

Femara
    Dear dmc,
    I have been on Femara now since Jan. 6th. Thought my mood swings and crying were from the Ativan. One friend said that the longer you are on it it can make you feel worse, like depressed. I am trying to wean off the Ativan, but still need that crutch sometimes.
    Now I can figure out if it is from Femara.
    Thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes,
    Lighthouse
  • Lighthouse_7
    dmc_emmy said:

Femara--

Wish you well.
    dmc

Femara
    Dear dmc,
    I have been on Femara now since Jan. 6th. Thought my mood swings and crying were from the Ativan. One friend said that the longer you are on it it can make you feel worse, like depressed. I am trying to wean off the Ativan, but still need that crutch sometimes.
    Thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes,
    Lighthouse
  • Lighthouse_7
    dmc_emmy said:

Femara--

Wish you well.
    dmc

Femara
    Dear dmc,
    Thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes,
    Lighthouse
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I started Femara on Feb 11,
    I started Femara on Feb 11, 2010. So far no side effects. There were a few nights about 2 - 3 weeks into it that I had some minor pain in my ankle, below my knee and along the bone above my ankle at night but Dr. said that it wasn't from the Femara because of the location - it was an after effect from the Taxol I had recently finished though I had had no pain while on it. Haven't had any in the last 3 weeks so guess he was right.

Forgot to ask chemo Dr about meds (not scheduled to see him again til Oct) for osteoporosis but will definately talk with my PA on April 5th. Before 'everything' started last Aug, I was already osteopenia so it's now a concern after 2 batches of chemo and radiation.