RADS side effects

Options
calvertcrafts
calvertcrafts Member Posts: 93 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have my last chemo tomorrow (YAHOO!!). I will be starting radiation the end of January. What are the general side effects of radiation? I heard breast shrinkage. My breast is already mis-shaped, I don't want to lose any more. HELP

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so unique in
    Everyone is so unique in their response. When I had radiation 22 years ago to my left breast, I only noticed a mild sunburn. I felt it was a real piece of cake after chemo. This past year, I had radiation to my ribs and felt queasy (nothing awful). The oncologist said that was because this rads included part of my liver. Both experiences were nothing to me compared to chemo.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!!!!!!
    Congrats on finishing chemo!!!!!.....Pat yourself on the back......Job well done! Isn't it a wonderful relief?

I finished the end of August and finished 33 radiation treatments on Nov 2...Radiation COMPARED TO CHEMO is not bad at all......everyone is different, though.......I had no real problems with radiation at all......I started turning "pink" by about the 4th week....that's about the time the fatigue set in also.....the fatigue is different also from the fatigue caused by chemo......not nearly as deblilitaing...I found that the more active I was, the less tired I was....The fatigue can last for a good while...For me, the biggest pain in the butt about rads, is going every day...5 days a week for 7 weeks...I had to be out of the house at 7:35 every morning. But I preferred mornings, got it out of the way....I never burned......ended up with the biggest tan I've ever had on my boob, but that was it.....the last 7 treatments were Boosters, only radiation to the area where the tumor was. That area turned "extra red" but again nothing painful....I was faithful about using the creams they gave me......I was told to apply it immediately after each treatment, before dressing to leave. For the first 4 weeks I was given Radiaplex and for the last two weeks they gave me Biafine, which I much preferred. I was told NOT to use anything else during treatment, but could use what I pleased once it was over....I know alot on this board used Aquafor.....I was told not to use that until treatment was over because it is petroleum based and that can interfer with the radiation. Don't use ANYTHING for 4 hours PRIOR to treatment......and only use NON METALLIC deodorant, which they gave me. Even so, I didn't apply that until after each treament.

Again, congrats on finishing chemo.........you've got the biggest treatment hurdle over and done with! Keep your eye on the finish line........

Best wishes and Peace be wity you!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ps.........
    I had NO breast shrinkage, either!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MAJW said:

YEAH!!!!!!!
    Congrats on finishing chemo!!!!!.....Pat yourself on the back......Job well done! Isn't it a wonderful relief?

I finished the end of August and finished 33 radiation treatments on Nov 2...Radiation COMPARED TO CHEMO is not bad at all......everyone is different, though.......I had no real problems with radiation at all......I started turning "pink" by about the 4th week....that's about the time the fatigue set in also.....the fatigue is different also from the fatigue caused by chemo......not nearly as deblilitaing...I found that the more active I was, the less tired I was....The fatigue can last for a good while...For me, the biggest pain in the butt about rads, is going every day...5 days a week for 7 weeks...I had to be out of the house at 7:35 every morning. But I preferred mornings, got it out of the way....I never burned......ended up with the biggest tan I've ever had on my boob, but that was it.....the last 7 treatments were Boosters, only radiation to the area where the tumor was. That area turned "extra red" but again nothing painful....I was faithful about using the creams they gave me......I was told to apply it immediately after each treatment, before dressing to leave. For the first 4 weeks I was given Radiaplex and for the last two weeks they gave me Biafine, which I much preferred. I was told NOT to use anything else during treatment, but could use what I pleased once it was over....I know alot on this board used Aquafor.....I was told not to use that until treatment was over because it is petroleum based and that can interfer with the radiation. Don't use ANYTHING for 4 hours PRIOR to treatment......and only use NON METALLIC deodorant, which they gave me. Even so, I didn't apply that until after each treament.

Again, congrats on finishing chemo.........you've got the biggest treatment hurdle over and done with! Keep your eye on the finish line........

Best wishes and Peace be wity you!

Radiation
    I just finished rads and I am sure that you will do fine. We are all different and react differently. My radiation oncologist gave me Biafine for any burning and Aquaphor to mainly use at night to keep my skin in good condition, which I did. But, you should only use what your own radiation oncologist tells you to use. I got lots of sleep as the radiation did exhaust me. I never burnt, but, I got really pink and that area was tender. So, be very careful with it when you shower and everything. I didn't wear a bra during rads and definitely not an underwire bra if you feel you need to wear one. Tom's from Maine is a non aluminum deodorant and what they recommend, but, the rads killed my sweat glands, so, I didn't need to use deodorant. Also, my breast never shrunk. Your radiation oncologist should check your skin at least once a week to see how you are doing. Good luck to you!

Megan
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Congratulatios on finishing
    Congratulatios on finishing chemo. The worst of your treatments is about over!! I finished my rads on Christmas Eve. I had 34 treatments with 9 of them being boosters. I didn't have any problem other than turning pink with the regular treatments and turning very red with the 9 boosters. I only used aloe for the entire time. I didn't notice any real fatigue during the treatments either. I continued to work 40 hours a week and exercised at least 5 times a week. Good luck as you go through this phase of your treatments. Keep us posted with your progress.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulatios on finishing chemo. The worst of your treatments is about over!! I finished my rads on Christmas Eve. I had 34 treatments with 9 of them being boosters. I didn't have any problem other than turning pink with the regular treatments and turning very red with the 9 boosters. I only used aloe for the entire time. I didn't notice any real fatigue during the treatments either. I continued to work 40 hours a week and exercised at least 5 times a week. Good luck as you go through this phase of your treatments. Keep us posted with your progress.

A big CONGRATS on finishing chemo!
    Everyone has said pretty much what I would say to you. This was my second time with rads as this was my second bout with breast cancer. I had 25 regular rad treatments this time followed by 12 boosters, so 37 total. I only got burnt by my collarbone, but, I used Biafine and it wasn't that bad. I did get very tender by my tumor site with the boosters since they are concentrated on that area only. I also got radiation dermatitis during rads, which was some red itchy bumps, but, my rads oncologist gave me a prescription to end that. My breast never shrunk. The first time I had rads in 1985, my breast actually got bigger and stayed that way. I joked with my rads oncologist at that time to "shoot" a little radiation to the other one. Guess what? He didn't laugh. LOL I used Aquaphor also to keep my skin moist. Get lots of rest and know that we are here to support and help you along the way. Congrats again on finishing chemo!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • alessia
    alessia Member Posts: 40
    Options
    RADS side effects

Congratulations on finishing up your chemo - surely that wasn't easy.
    I too will be starting radiation treatments end of Jan.
    (Mon thru Fri for 5 weeks) - ugh.
    I'm a little concerned about the side effects seeing that I live alone with
    no help at all. But more than the rads themselves getting to the Institute
    is a problem. The hospital is far and still trying to figure out how to
    get there. If I take public transportation it would be at least 5 hours r/t
    so I am trying to find someone to take me and pay them which will be costly.
    Wow, not only do I have to have radiation therapy I also have to find the
    money and the person to take me. Life can be tough.
    Anyway, good luck to you and to me also with the side effects.
    Big hug, Alessia
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

I love your star and your
    I love your star and your positive attitude!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    alessia said:

RADS side effects

Congratulations on finishing up your chemo - surely that wasn't easy.
    I too will be starting radiation treatments end of Jan.
    (Mon thru Fri for 5 weeks) - ugh.
    I'm a little concerned about the side effects seeing that I live alone with
    no help at all. But more than the rads themselves getting to the Institute
    is a problem. The hospital is far and still trying to figure out how to
    get there. If I take public transportation it would be at least 5 hours r/t
    so I am trying to find someone to take me and pay them which will be costly.
    Wow, not only do I have to have radiation therapy I also have to find the
    money and the person to take me. Life can be tough.
    Anyway, good luck to you and to me also with the side effects.
    Big hug, Alessia

Alessia
    Contact the ACS as they help you with finding rides to rads. There was a lady that took them at the same time that I did and she didn't drive, so, the ACS got other ladies to drive her everyday. There is a toll free number on this site to call or just call your local chapter if you know it. The program Road To Recovery is sponsored by the ACS and those are usually bc survivors that give rides to treatment. Good luck!

Love, Jeanne ♥