Carboplatin, Taxotere, Herceptin

rrogers34
rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I start my chemo Friday, any words of wisdom on what to do to help me prepare to minimze w se's. The Dr gave me emmend, and a Decodron to take before chemo. He said I would retain fluid? I already have low blood pressure. Any reaction with my heart (arythmia scares me) I already have palpations. He said I cant change postitions suddenly, and my head cant be below my heart.
any advice to help me make the most of this treatment and stay as healthy and active as possible would be helpful and much appreciated.. Hope everyone is doing well. Made the appointment for head shaving.... Wed at noon. To funny, I already am forgetful, I thought my follow up with the surgeon was Monday, already made appt to have wig fitting tuesday at 1:00. only to find my Drs appt is Tues. I am suffering from Chemo Brain and I havent even started. LOL!!!!!!! I'm worried about the se's because I a frady cat LOL, But really because My Dad is doing really poorly, I dont know If I can handle loosing him and this at the same time. He's worried about me and I am about him. I keep telling myself, God will not us take to, where he cannot take you through. I am very close to my Dad and always promised I would be there with him in his last days. He just wants to spend time with me.
Tonight when I talked to him, I could hear his voice breaking and he said, I love you baby and always will. We keep telling each other we will be fine. I cant stand the thought of loosing him and not being able to be there to hold his hand. I believe we are getting closer to having to have hospice in. Though the man has overcome all odds. He is amazingly strong. I'm just not ready to go through the process of loosing him. Thanks for listening. I am ususally the care taker, there really isnt anyone else. Please keep me in your prayers as well as my dad. I want to Glorify God in this time, not embarass him.

God bless and thanks for listening. You are the only place I have to vent.

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Hospice is a wonderful organization,
    I would encourage anyone who needs help to seek them out. Yes it's true that your doctor has to say what you have is incurable, but they help you to make the rest of your days as comfortable as possible. We waited too long with my sister and she suffered needlessly.
    Don't make that mistake just because you think Hospice is a death sentence. They are wonderful people who only want to help your dad and his family end their suffering. They were there for my brother, my dad and my sister. None of them had any pain from the minute Hospice took over. And they brought back my REAL brother and dad for a few days as the hospital had them over medicated with unnecessary pain killers.
    God bless you and your family. I completed 4 A/C and 7 taxol so far with 5 more taxol to go. All I can say is take the meds!!! Don't try to brave it out. Also try to have some snack foods around at all times. I had bits of bananas, apples, crackers, ginger ale,
    oatmeal cookies, and water by my bedside most of the time. Whatever you feel like eating, just do it in bits and pieces. The only time I lost it was when I drank Chamomile tea if you can believe that! You never know until you give it a shot.
    Good luck on Friday. Let us know how you do. I'll be praying for you and your dad.
    amen.
  • rrogers34
    Mama G said:

Hospice is a wonderful organization,
    I would encourage anyone who needs help to seek them out. Yes it's true that your doctor has to say what you have is incurable, but they help you to make the rest of your days as comfortable as possible. We waited too long with my sister and she suffered needlessly.
    Don't make that mistake just because you think Hospice is a death sentence. They are wonderful people who only want to help your dad and his family end their suffering. They were there for my brother, my dad and my sister. None of them had any pain from the minute Hospice took over. And they brought back my REAL brother and dad for a few days as the hospital had them over medicated with unnecessary pain killers.
    God bless you and your family. I completed 4 A/C and 7 taxol so far with 5 more taxol to go. All I can say is take the meds!!! Don't try to brave it out. Also try to have some snack foods around at all times. I had bits of bananas, apples, crackers, ginger ale,
    oatmeal cookies, and water by my bedside most of the time. Whatever you feel like eating, just do it in bits and pieces. The only time I lost it was when I drank Chamomile tea if you can believe that! You never know until you give it a shot.
    Good luck on Friday. Let us know how you do. I'll be praying for you and your dad.
    amen.

Thanks
    We LOST MY HUSBANDS FATHER LAST YEAR (FEB 23). I HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN TOUCH WITH HIS PULMONOLOGIST AND TOLD THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY LET ME KNOW WHEN HOSPICE NEEDS TO BE CALLED. YES, THEY ARE WONDERFUL AND HELP SO MUCH. DOES THE EMMEND WORK WELL? I SEE THAT IT IS ONLY TAKEN ONCE PER DAY? DO THEY EVER GIVE YOU MORE? IF THE MEDS WORK, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL HAVE NAUSEA AND THROW UP? THIS TIME NEXT WEEK I WILL HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF HOW MY COCKTAIL WILL EFFECT ME I PLAN TO DRINK GATORADE TO HELP WITH ELECTROLTE IMBALANCES AND EAT BANANAS.
    LOTS OF PROTEIN. REALLY KEEP FOOD BY THE BED FOR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? I AM GOING TO DO MY VERY BEST TO WORK THROUGH THIS. I CANT AFFORD TO LOOSE MY JOB. THANK GOODNESS I RETIRED FROM THE STATE IN 2006 AND MY INSURANCE IS THROUGH THEM. THIS IS MY SECOND CAREER.
    THEY "SAY" THEY WILL WORK WITH ME, BUT WHEN MY 40 YEAR OLD HUSBAND HAD A HEART ATTACK IN 2006, MY SUPERVISOR WAS NOT VERY UNDERSTANDING. IT WAS ON MY REVIEW. THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE NO COMPASSION FOR ANYONE. THIS APPEARS TO BE A VERY BUSY WEEK FOR ME, I GUESS AS SCARED AS I AM, I JUST WANT TO GET STARTED SO I CAN GET THIS OVER WITH. WHEN I WAS CHECKING IN FOR MY MUGA SCAN, THEY ASKED IT I HAD A LIVING WILL, I SAID NO, I HAVE A WILL TO LIVE..... LOL
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Same Cocktail
    Hi - I am on the same regimen as you. I thought I would tell you a little about my experience - so you can see that it can be livable! My doctor's office gave me the decadron to start the day before - and then they give me emend and zofran at the infusion center. I have emend and zofran to take for the 3 days following chemo. I was also given prescriptions for two other anti-nausea drugs - compazine and ativan. The ativan also has the added benefit of making you sleepy or helping with anxiety. I was told to take the emend, decadron and zofran - and then use the others if needed. I have not really needed them. I have my 4th treatment on Friday - and so far, (knock on wood) I have not thrown up. The thing to be aware of with the anti-nausea drugs is constipation. Some people get the runs - but there have been several of us that have constipation during the first little while. Be proactive about making sure things are moving smoothly through - so you might want to hold off on the bananas until you see how things affect you.

I have been able to work through this so far. I have my infusion on Fridays and I have the following Monday off - but really - other than being tired, I could work on Monday. It is usually the Wed. after chemo that the constipation subsides. The first week is a bit rocky - and then it gets better as the time goes on. I did not start losing my hair until almost the second treatment - and I haven't lost it all. I shaved it off because I had bald spots - but the part that I shaved off has started to grow back in.

The biggest thing for me has been that I get so much more tired than I used to! I have to take naps in the afternoon or go to bed early on work days. I've been short tempered some - but over all, I have been very blessed.

My prayers are with you and I hope that you go through this as smoothly as I have been - so that you have the strength and ability to spend time with your dad.

Take care,

Lori
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    RR-My story
    I am so sorry about your dad. My dad died 6+ years ago and I miss him big time.He would have heped me more thru this cancer beast. Hospice is comforting, my thoughts and prayers for you both. Dad's re so very special.
    Now: I have inflammatory bc, on chemo in oct, had to stop on 2nd tr, allergies, restarted last week.
    Nauseus once, tea!
    I treat constipation, no diarhea.(yeah)
    Drink hydrate!!! all the time! coffee does not hydrate. Gator aid and tap water.
    For heart:coreg,coumadin,digoxin (a fib,130 bpm)
    chemo is cytoxin and taxotere (taxol) no A due to heart
    PRE chemo decadron
    after chemo-zofran,and ativan if needed. I also then start the stool softener,laxatives,

I take tylenol based pain pills fairly regularly. I also have had a nasty cold/cough,earache for close to 2 weeks, and have cold meds.

I was ICU last week for a procedure called desensitization. This was to make my body accept the taxol/ It is slowlyenetered into the nody 924hiurs) It wroked! A failry new procedure discovered at dana farber by a Dr castells. It is also used for any allergies.
    (if a diabetic cannot take insulin the desense them to live and many more!)
    I needed it to get the taxol in to shrink the beast more for surgery!

HAIR LOSS, I was told mine would thin. It was just over my ears, I cut it a bit shorter. To the dy I was told it began to fall out slowly. A lot broke off. The 2nd day in the shower was devastating. Clumpsonmy body,thedrin and in my hands. Althought Istill did not shave I recommend at least cutting it short. Holding my hair 3-4" long) in wet bunches became a very real tangible I have cancer. I did know if my hair is coming out then the beast is being killed!
    I still have not shaved, I do not have much,but it is sort of all over about .5 to 1.5". I did wear the wig for a while (cold in New england!) Now I sport any hat, some warm,some baseball caps. I am not a hat erson. People can see the loss, and see how ugly cancer is, it does not bother me. My hair went very blond, which is likely white during the treament, it was light brown.
    check ALittleEasierRecoveryDOTcom for a jacki jacket if needed they are free.
    Best wishes and peace
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Lynda53 said:

RR-My story
    I am so sorry about your dad. My dad died 6+ years ago and I miss him big time.He would have heped me more thru this cancer beast. Hospice is comforting, my thoughts and prayers for you both. Dad's re so very special.
    Now: I have inflammatory bc, on chemo in oct, had to stop on 2nd tr, allergies, restarted last week.
    Nauseus once, tea!
    I treat constipation, no diarhea.(yeah)
    Drink hydrate!!! all the time! coffee does not hydrate. Gator aid and tap water.
    For heart:coreg,coumadin,digoxin (a fib,130 bpm)
    chemo is cytoxin and taxotere (taxol) no A due to heart
    PRE chemo decadron
    after chemo-zofran,and ativan if needed. I also then start the stool softener,laxatives,

I take tylenol based pain pills fairly regularly. I also have had a nasty cold/cough,earache for close to 2 weeks, and have cold meds.

I was ICU last week for a procedure called desensitization. This was to make my body accept the taxol/ It is slowlyenetered into the nody 924hiurs) It wroked! A failry new procedure discovered at dana farber by a Dr castells. It is also used for any allergies.
    (if a diabetic cannot take insulin the desense them to live and many more!)
    I needed it to get the taxol in to shrink the beast more for surgery!

HAIR LOSS, I was told mine would thin. It was just over my ears, I cut it a bit shorter. To the dy I was told it began to fall out slowly. A lot broke off. The 2nd day in the shower was devastating. Clumpsonmy body,thedrin and in my hands. Althought Istill did not shave I recommend at least cutting it short. Holding my hair 3-4" long) in wet bunches became a very real tangible I have cancer. I did know if my hair is coming out then the beast is being killed!
    I still have not shaved, I do not have much,but it is sort of all over about .5 to 1.5". I did wear the wig for a while (cold in New england!) Now I sport any hat, some warm,some baseball caps. I am not a hat erson. People can see the loss, and see how ugly cancer is, it does not bother me. My hair went very blond, which is likely white during the treament, it was light brown.
    check ALittleEasierRecoveryDOTcom for a jacki jacket if needed they are free.
    Best wishes and peace

Same cocktail
    I too took the same cocktail...just finished 6 rounds and moving on to surgery. The worst side effect for me was constipation. Make sure you are drinking lots of water and takin a stool softener. I mistook this pain for something else and ended up in the ER..OOPS! For the most part, I cruised thru chemo. A mouth sore here and there, little stomach discomfort due to constipation, and obviously hair loss. No nausa, no aches and pains. The steroids they gave me made me gain weight...ugh! Guess its better than no eating and lookin like a stick huh? I hope this helps....stay strong and good luck.
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    rrogers34 said:

Thanks
    We LOST MY HUSBANDS FATHER LAST YEAR (FEB 23). I HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN TOUCH WITH HIS PULMONOLOGIST AND TOLD THEM TO MAKE SURE THEY LET ME KNOW WHEN HOSPICE NEEDS TO BE CALLED. YES, THEY ARE WONDERFUL AND HELP SO MUCH. DOES THE EMMEND WORK WELL? I SEE THAT IT IS ONLY TAKEN ONCE PER DAY? DO THEY EVER GIVE YOU MORE? IF THE MEDS WORK, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL HAVE NAUSEA AND THROW UP? THIS TIME NEXT WEEK I WILL HAVE A PRETTY GOOD IDEA OF HOW MY COCKTAIL WILL EFFECT ME I PLAN TO DRINK GATORADE TO HELP WITH ELECTROLTE IMBALANCES AND EAT BANANAS.
    LOTS OF PROTEIN. REALLY KEEP FOOD BY THE BED FOR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT? I AM GOING TO DO MY VERY BEST TO WORK THROUGH THIS. I CANT AFFORD TO LOOSE MY JOB. THANK GOODNESS I RETIRED FROM THE STATE IN 2006 AND MY INSURANCE IS THROUGH THEM. THIS IS MY SECOND CAREER.
    THEY "SAY" THEY WILL WORK WITH ME, BUT WHEN MY 40 YEAR OLD HUSBAND HAD A HEART ATTACK IN 2006, MY SUPERVISOR WAS NOT VERY UNDERSTANDING. IT WAS ON MY REVIEW. THERE ARE THOSE WHO HAVE NO COMPASSION FOR ANYONE. THIS APPEARS TO BE A VERY BUSY WEEK FOR ME, I GUESS AS SCARED AS I AM, I JUST WANT TO GET STARTED SO I CAN GET THIS OVER WITH. WHEN I WAS CHECKING IN FOR MY MUGA SCAN, THEY ASKED IT I HAD A LIVING WILL, I SAID NO, I HAVE A WILL TO LIVE..... LOL

Full Plate
    Sorry to hear about your father and your troubles. Must be over whelming. I'm addressing ur low b/p and the meds. I have undiagnosisd low b/p. Had an episode last nite, 80/50. I didn't have any episodes when taking E-mend or the steroid. I did how ever experience probs when on Taxol. Had an episode after each treatment. My believe, meds affect us in different ways. Do you have a b/p cuff. If not it's a small investment for you and your husband. I wish u prayers nd strength with all you have to do. God is not embarrassed, he's proud and with you. In my heart, Gayla
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    rrogers
    I'm so sorry to hear about you and your Dad. I lost my Mom and Dad just 1 year apart, and miss them so much. It sounds like you have a lot of faith in God, which will help you through. I will keep you and your Dad in my prayers. Hugs, Diane
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME TO
    YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME TO TEARS...BEING THEIR FOR EACH OTHER AT THIS TIME IS VERY HEARTFELT BUT ALSO MUST BE HEARTBREAKING.... I FEEL FOR YOU XXXOO....AS FOR MEDICATION I AM TAKING DOXCETACOL AND HERCEPTIN RIGHT NOW...SIDE EFFECTS HAVE BEEN HEARTBURN AND DIARHEA...(OH YES AND HAIR LOSS) BOTH SYMPTOMS SUBSIDED AFTER MEDICATION... (EXCEPT THE HAIR LOSS) i HAVE NOT HAD WATER RETENTION (THAT IS WHAT THE DECADRON IS FOR) AND IT HAS BEEN DOING ITS JOB...I HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT...(((((HUGS)))) lISA
  • rrogers34

YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME TO
    YOU HAVE BROUGHT ME TO TEARS...BEING THEIR FOR EACH OTHER AT THIS TIME IS VERY HEARTFELT BUT ALSO MUST BE HEARTBREAKING.... I FEEL FOR YOU XXXOO....AS FOR MEDICATION I AM TAKING DOXCETACOL AND HERCEPTIN RIGHT NOW...SIDE EFFECTS HAVE BEEN HEARTBURN AND DIARHEA...(OH YES AND HAIR LOSS) BOTH SYMPTOMS SUBSIDED AFTER MEDICATION... (EXCEPT THE HAIR LOSS) i HAVE NOT HAD WATER RETENTION (THAT IS WHAT THE DECADRON IS FOR) AND IT HAS BEEN DOING ITS JOB...I HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT...(((((HUGS)))) lISA

You never cease to amaze me
    You all never cease to amaze me, no matter how many times the same questions are asked, you are there. I can promise you that I will be referring back to these posts. I really wish we had a way to actually talk to one another verbally. If anyone wants to send me there e-mail address mine is betyacantguess1@ahoo.com. I went to see my Dad today, you can tell he knows he will going home soon. Be that weeks, months or days. He gave me a christmas card with a really, really special message. I put it in my Bible. He has a WONDERFUL attitude. He says he is ready to go home. I told him, Daddy, we are both in a win win situation. One day we will both in heaven with our Heavenly father and will never have to worry about saying good-bye again. Nor will we have to worry, feel pain, or fear. I know he worries about those of us who will be left. I joke with him and tell he raised us right and we will be okay. I appreciate him so much. He has been through so much. I also told him, that I believe there is a reason that God is allowing this to happen like it is. We just need to listen to what God is trying to teach us. I know we are both scared for each other. I guess life is so full of twists and turns. It's how we choose to handle them. Yes, I cry, get angry, want to give up sometimes. Sometimes I am angry with myself because of the precious moments of my life I didnt do the right things. But I have the opportunity to change, to be a better person, stronger. I guess I say all of this to say, you all are my inspiration. I know this may sound strange, but I truly love each of you. I wish I could hug everyone of you and personally thank you for all you do.
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    rrogers34 said:

You never cease to amaze me
    You all never cease to amaze me, no matter how many times the same questions are asked, you are there. I can promise you that I will be referring back to these posts. I really wish we had a way to actually talk to one another verbally. If anyone wants to send me there e-mail address mine is betyacantguess1@ahoo.com. I went to see my Dad today, you can tell he knows he will going home soon. Be that weeks, months or days. He gave me a christmas card with a really, really special message. I put it in my Bible. He has a WONDERFUL attitude. He says he is ready to go home. I told him, Daddy, we are both in a win win situation. One day we will both in heaven with our Heavenly father and will never have to worry about saying good-bye again. Nor will we have to worry, feel pain, or fear. I know he worries about those of us who will be left. I joke with him and tell he raised us right and we will be okay. I appreciate him so much. He has been through so much. I also told him, that I believe there is a reason that God is allowing this to happen like it is. We just need to listen to what God is trying to teach us. I know we are both scared for each other. I guess life is so full of twists and turns. It's how we choose to handle them. Yes, I cry, get angry, want to give up sometimes. Sometimes I am angry with myself because of the precious moments of my life I didnt do the right things. But I have the opportunity to change, to be a better person, stronger. I guess I say all of this to say, you all are my inspiration. I know this may sound strange, but I truly love each of you. I wish I could hug everyone of you and personally thank you for all you do.

(((((hugs)))))) Lisa
    (((((hugs)))))) Lisa xoxoxoxxo