question about rads

mberg
mberg Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be starting rads in january and am wondering if I am going to have to raise both arms or just the side being radiated? I have a large open wound under my other arm that is taking forever to heal after surgery. I have had 4 subsequent surgeries (revisions) and the surgeons have decided to try and let the tissue heal on its own as long as there is no infection. I am worried about raising that are during radiation and reopening it if it is starting to heal. Any help would be great! thanks!monica

Comments

• aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Not An Expert
    Hi,

I am not an expert but the way my RADS are going, I only have to raise the arm on the side where they removed the tumor. I would not think they would perform radiation therapy on skin that is open.

P
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Rads question
    Hi Monica. When I had rads I only raised the one arm on the side where I was being zapped. And, I didn't have to raise it over my head or anything. They had a very comfortable sling like thing that I rested my arm in. Be sure and inform your rads oncologist about this as he needs to know. My techs and my rads oncologist were great! I just love them. I pray that you will yours too. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ritzy said:

Rads question
    Hi Monica. When I had rads I only raised the one arm on the side where I was being zapped. And, I didn't have to raise it over my head or anything. They had a very comfortable sling like thing that I rested my arm in. Be sure and inform your rads oncologist about this as he needs to know. My techs and my rads oncologist were great! I just love them. I pray that you will yours too. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Sue :)

you do not need to raise your other arm.
    Only arm on the BC side. Sue did explained it very well
    How is your range of motion?
    After your stitches are healed you can try easy stretches.
    Happy Holidays
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I had to hold onto small
    I had to hold onto small bars behind my head during my RADS for the treatment on my RT breast. When i had the "boosts" I laid on my left side. They cover your arms with a blanket(gave me a nice warm one) It is VERY QUICK! It's like over in no time,so oyur arms aren't above your head but for like 5 mins or so. In your case they could make adjustments to accomodate you. I didn't have a problem with both arms being raised over my head.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sounds like I was in the
    Sounds like I was in the same position as Lanie. I raised both arms and held onto the 2 bars with my hands. I was in this same position with the 9 boosters. The good news in reading the other replies is that it seems you can do either position. Good luck, Monica, it will be through before you know it. Take care.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Sounds like I was in the
    Sounds like I was in the same position as Lanie. I raised both arms and held onto the 2 bars with my hands. I was in this same position with the 9 boosters. The good news in reading the other replies is that it seems you can do either position. Good luck, Monica, it will be through before you know it. Take care.

They only mess with the rads
    They only mess with the rads side. My arm wasn't over my head either. It was just to the side in a sling like Ritzy described. I also got the warm blankets because the room is freezing. So, wear warm clothes. You will do fine. Good luck!

Leeza
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    jnl said:

They only mess with the rads
    They only mess with the rads side. My arm wasn't over my head either. It was just to the side in a sling like Ritzy described. I also got the warm blankets because the room is freezing. So, wear warm clothes. You will do fine. Good luck!

Leeza

radiation
    i had to hold on to a bar behind my head with both arms it seemed like it took forever in the room before i was done.

good luck to you.

teresa
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    teresa41 said:

radiation
    i had to hold on to a bar behind my head with both arms it seemed like it took forever in the room before i was done.

good luck to you.

teresa

rads
    I'm sure it all has to do with their "target" area. I had a lumpectomy ... in my lower right breast ... and I had to do the "over-the-head" thing holding onto a couple of bar things ... with both hands. Not bad at all ... since it only takes a few minutes from beginning to end. Actually ... I'm one of those people who is easily entertained and I found the whole thing fascinating. How that huge machine did all the stuff it did... and moved all around. Fascinating. It all made me thankful for modern medicine and modern technology!

hugs.
    teena
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Raising arms.
    Hi ,for I put my arms up and held on to two little bars.I don,t know for sue but I wouldn,t think they would put rad. on a open wound.Good luck.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    ppurdin said:

Raising arms.
    Hi ,for I put my arms up and held on to two little bars.I don,t know for sue but I wouldn,t think they would put rad. on a open wound.Good luck.Love and Prayers.(Pat).

I just laid my arm in the
    I just laid my arm in the sling thing like some of the others did. I didn't raise my arm above my head as there was no reason for it. They won't touch your other side. Good luck to you with rads.

Angie
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Rads
    Monica,

I had to have both arms up over my head during rads but they only treated one side. I'm sure if you have an open wound under your other arm they can make adjustments to how you will be treated if moving that arm would cause problems.

Make sure to let your radiology doctors and technicians know of any problems or skin issues you have as you go through treatment - they are there to help.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Hi Monica
    I'm in the middle of rads now, completed 14 of 30. I lay on my back and raise rest my right arm in arm rests over my head (treating right breast). My left arm is down at my side. They radiate only the affected breast...in fact, they make very sure they are NOT radiating anything that does not need it.

There's a string on rads, questions and answers that I marked as a favorite for myself. It has lots of good information in it from others that have already been thru this. I'll push it up for you. If you save it as a favorite, it's easier to find for reference.

Best of luck to you and God Bless...Julie