Good news yesterday!

ms_independent
ms_independent Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got wonderful news yesterday. The pathology report from my bilateral mastectomy with lymph node sampling (& tissue expanders)came back yesterday and we met with the surgeon. All lymph nodes were clear, left breast clear and right breast with only DCIS (lots)--no invasion. No chemo, radiation or tamoxifen recommended!!!! I feel like I can finally take a deep breath. You guys have been a life-line for me and I am so grateful. I feel a little guilty for getting off "so easy". I still have to deal with poor healing (dying skin) on both breasts so, will have to go through more surgery (don't know how much yet)---seems an ok price to pay to be cancer-free.

You haven't gotten rid of me yet. I will be around and can hopefully provide some of the support and acceptance you all have given me.

Have a wonderful holiday!!!!

El

Comments

• marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Great news. We are so happy
    Great news. We are so happy to share our joy with you. Take a deep breath and enjoy a peaceful CHristmas. Marilyn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Congratulations on the
    Congratulations on the wonderful news!! Now, go and enjoy the holidays but keep in touch.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations on the
    Congratulations on the wonderful news!! Now, go and enjoy the holidays but keep in touch.

A big congrats on this great
    A big congrats on this great news! Happy Holidays to you!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    susie09 said:

A big congrats on this great
    A big congrats on this great news! Happy Holidays to you!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

Hi El.
    I'm glad you plan to stick around. My treatment is done but I think it is important to drop by the site to give encouragement to those who are going through this difficult path.

Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

Roseann
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Congrats!
    That is truly a wonderful Christmas present! Congrats!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Awesome!!!
    Awesome news!!! Life with lymph nodes is better than without them. Less problems to watch out for. Have a great Christmas.

P
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I don't know if you guys are
    I don't know if you guys are aware of this with the "lymph node " issue but you have to let anyone know who will be doing a blood pressure on you from here on out they cannot use your arm you had lymph nodes removed, unless it was only maybe one or 2, ASK your oncology surgeon! I had to be hospitalized like 3 times since my lumpectomy/sentinal node removal and Geez oh My, the nurses made such an issue of it! they put this pink wrist band on your wrist where you had the breast cancer/lymph node surgery. They won't use that arm for anything! I had to convince them I specifically ASKED my Oncology surgeon if it was ok to use. He said YES,when there is not a risk of lymphodema it is ok. I have bad veins also, they have a difficult time getting IV's started in me. They have to use my anticubical for the most part and you can't move your arm a lot when it's in that spot or your IV gets occluded and the thing will drive you nuts dinging! I have no idea where they take your BP if you have a double mastectomy and lymph nodes removed. Guess a Thigh cuff!

So,hopefully you ladies have good veins,LOL
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    lanie940 said:

I don't know if you guys are
    I don't know if you guys are aware of this with the "lymph node " issue but you have to let anyone know who will be doing a blood pressure on you from here on out they cannot use your arm you had lymph nodes removed, unless it was only maybe one or 2, ASK your oncology surgeon! I had to be hospitalized like 3 times since my lumpectomy/sentinal node removal and Geez oh My, the nurses made such an issue of it! they put this pink wrist band on your wrist where you had the breast cancer/lymph node surgery. They won't use that arm for anything! I had to convince them I specifically ASKED my Oncology surgeon if it was ok to use. He said YES,when there is not a risk of lymphodema it is ok. I have bad veins also, they have a difficult time getting IV's started in me. They have to use my anticubical for the most part and you can't move your arm a lot when it's in that spot or your IV gets occluded and the thing will drive you nuts dinging! I have no idea where they take your BP if you have a double mastectomy and lymph nodes removed. Guess a Thigh cuff!

So,hopefully you ladies have good veins,LOL

Super!!
    I am really happy for you!! My dx is like yours. I had DCIS and had both breasts removed with immediate reconstruction.. No rads no chemo and no tamoxifen(my choice on that).. I too feel guilty but I still had cancer and I still had major surgery to fight the beast. I still had all the mental trama and still have all the same fears as everyone else. So to say we got off easy is not exactly true.

Again Congradulations on your path report!!!

Calleen
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Calleen and El
    Never feel guilty about "getting off easy". You became one of us from the moment they said those dreadful words "you have cancer". You will bear the marks of the surgery, the mental anquish was real, and you will always live as a survivor. I'm glad you are one this site to give your thoughts and ideas to those coming after you. But mostly I'm happy for you. At one point I had was thinking some of those same thoughts as my tumor was fairly small, no node involvement, only 4 rounds of chemo (I've only got 1 more to go) and then the Arimidex for 5 years. Then I came to realize that each of our fights are as different as our cancers. It's no "one size fits all" disease. and YEP I plan on sticking around for awhile. I definitely will be in and out during my next 5 years. Best wishes to you both and enjoy your holidays.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    A true example of 'early
    A true example of 'early detection' being the key! Congratulations!! What wonderful news! I would make a wager that 2010 is going to be one of the best years of your life, El! I share in your joy and pray you are never faced with the scare ever again! Life your life to the fullest!

Love, Mar
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Marlene_K said:

A true example of 'early
    A true example of 'early detection' being the key! Congratulations!! What wonderful news! I would make a wager that 2010 is going to be one of the best years of your life, El! I share in your joy and pray you are never faced with the scare ever again! Life your life to the fullest!

Love, Mar

THANKS
    Thanks so much to all of you--what an affirming group!!!! I hope your holiday was terrific amd you continue to celebrate this weekend!!!

SOOO much gratitude,

El
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Calleen said:

Super!!
    I am really happy for you!! My dx is like yours. I had DCIS and had both breasts removed with immediate reconstruction.. No rads no chemo and no tamoxifen(my choice on that).. I too feel guilty but I still had cancer and I still had major surgery to fight the beast. I still had all the mental trama and still have all the same fears as everyone else. So to say we got off easy is not exactly true.

Again Congradulations on your path report!!!

Calleen

Congratulations!
    Megan

Congratulations!

Megan
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    aztec45 said:

Awesome!!!
    Awesome news!!! Life with lymph nodes is better than without them. Less problems to watch out for. Have a great Christmas.

P

Great!
    Congratulations on your nodes being clean! Just what we all want to hear! Kristin ♥