Emla Cream

Options
Marlene_K
Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok, I never used this before. I'm going for my 4th treatment tomorrow, but last time I went, I got a nurse that hurt me when putting the IV into my port. It never hurt before, not even in the least. She suggested I get my Onc to prescribe Emla cream (I suggested I not have her as my nurse, lol). But to be on the safe side, I don't want to experience that discomfort again. It hurt nearly the whole time it was in. In reading the directions, which is very difficult for me because my eyesight has gotten horrific since chemo and those tiny little directions are so tough to make out, but it seems I'm supposed to put a 'special' clear bandaid on it? Does anyone know if a regular (big) bandaid is ok? Two days before Christmas, God knows I don't need to be running out for a special bandaid.

Hope I get a reply to this... It's just that I only opened to box to read the directions now. UGGHH!

Thanks!

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Marlene
    Emla Cream-I have the generic type called Lidocaine. My Oncologist nurse suggested I cover it with celephane (?spelling) after I showed up with a band-aid, it rubbed off, and I felt the stick! It has been also suggested to put it on about an hour before. Hope you have some! :-)
    Merry Christmas to you & Your Family
    Hugz,
    Cat
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Marlene, I didn't even know
    Marlene, I didn't even know a clear bandage was advised. Just smeared lots of the cream on about an hour or so before the appt, and attached a big square white bandage. Didn't have any problems.

Like you, I found that the regular port-care nurse at my onc. clinic practically stabs me. I complained, so now they make sure when I come in that I get a different nurse. She's a little better, not much. It's annoying because when I got a catscan recently, the nurse there did a great job--I didn't feel much at all, even without the cream.

Anyway, good luck, and use plenty of cream. It will make a difference. The color of the bandage shouldn't.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Marlene, I didn't even know
    Marlene, I didn't even know a clear bandage was advised. Just smeared lots of the cream on about an hour or so before the appt, and attached a big square white bandage. Didn't have any problems.

Like you, I found that the regular port-care nurse at my onc. clinic practically stabs me. I complained, so now they make sure when I come in that I get a different nurse. She's a little better, not much. It's annoying because when I got a catscan recently, the nurse there did a great job--I didn't feel much at all, even without the cream.

Anyway, good luck, and use plenty of cream. It will make a difference. The color of the bandage shouldn't.

LIdocaine is a life saver!
    I had the same thing, didn't feel it for the first 4 treatments, and then OWWWWW!!!
    so I put the lidocaine on about 2 hours before the treatment and I can barely feel the needle any more. So much better. I didn't even wince this time!!! Anything that
    can make this crap we go through any easier is worth it! I use a large bandaid and a VERY generous glob of the goo. Dont worry about the mess, they will wipe it off before they jab you.

Moopy, what do you mean abut the cat scan? I'm confused how a cat scan can hurt?
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Mama G said:

LIdocaine is a life saver!
    I had the same thing, didn't feel it for the first 4 treatments, and then OWWWWW!!!
    so I put the lidocaine on about 2 hours before the treatment and I can barely feel the needle any more. So much better. I didn't even wince this time!!! Anything that
    can make this crap we go through any easier is worth it! I use a large bandaid and a VERY generous glob of the goo. Dont worry about the mess, they will wipe it off before they jab you.

Moopy, what do you mean abut the cat scan? I'm confused how a cat scan can hurt?

Thank you, thank you!
    As usual, I can always get an answer (or many more) on here! I feel so much better now and can get a restful sleep!

Such beautiful people on this site!

Love, Mar
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Thank you, thank you!
    As usual, I can always get an answer (or many more) on here! I feel so much better now and can get a restful sleep!

Such beautiful people on this site!

Love, Mar

I hope you will be ok
    I hope you will be ok Marlene. Would that cream be ok to use for the iv's they insert in me for CAT scans and for the contrast for the MRI's? Or, is it just for chemo?

Leeza
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Cream
    I use the cream except when I forget to and the needle stick practically takes my breath away when I do forget. I smear the cream on an hour prior to chemo but I did not have to put a patch, bandaid, or anything else on. Follow what your Onc tells you.

P
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Cream
    I use the cream except when I forget to and the needle stick practically takes my breath away when I do forget. I smear the cream on an hour prior to chemo but I did not have to put a patch, bandaid, or anything else on. Follow what your Onc tells you.

P

My center
    My center uses a freeze spray for those who want it and I am one of those who will have it every time. Even though they use the spray I ask them to tell me before they poke me so I can take a deep breath in and I do the same thing when they pull it out. Some centers refuse to use the spray and I am glad mine isn't one of them.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Press and Seal
    Sounds crazy but used this when I put the cream on my port. I cut a small piece of Glade Press and Seal and stuck it over it. It stayed on under my clothes and worked like magic. Put a large goop of the cream on the area about 45 minutes prior to arriving at your appointment. My nurse told me this after the first time I used it and complained it didn't work...I too could not read the little words because my eyesight went on vacation. :-) Give it a whirl and if you don't have the Press and Seal try whatever is in the drawer. The nurses will take it off anyway so don't waste the money on some 'special' bandaid. That cream rocks!! Kudos to the person who invented it!
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    TLynn0102 said:

Press and Seal
    Sounds crazy but used this when I put the cream on my port. I cut a small piece of Glade Press and Seal and stuck it over it. It stayed on under my clothes and worked like magic. Put a large goop of the cream on the area about 45 minutes prior to arriving at your appointment. My nurse told me this after the first time I used it and complained it didn't work...I too could not read the little words because my eyesight went on vacation. :-) Give it a whirl and if you don't have the Press and Seal try whatever is in the drawer. The nurses will take it off anyway so don't waste the money on some 'special' bandaid. That cream rocks!! Kudos to the person who invented it!

I used Lidocaine
    Yes, I just put a big blob of it on my port and a gauze over it lightly..sometimes tape down on outside to keep from moving...never felt a thing!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Your doctor's office or onc
    Your doctor's office or onc center should have big bandaid type squares. The edges are sticky, but the middle part is just clear cellophane. I just asked for them in great quantity and carried them with me in my "chemo bag." The spray works, but the cream works better. It takes an hour to absorb and to fully get the benefit of it. xoxoxxoo Lynn
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    uses for Emla cream
    I was given Emla cream to kill the sensation of having catheters inserted for radiation. Too bad I put it partly on the wrong area! About an hour ahead of time should help you, and cover it with plastic wrap. I have a photo of it on my Expressions page. Good luck, Marlene. You shouldn't have to endure any more pain.
    ~~Connie~~