video messages or letter writing

Options
nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm wondering if any Moms with young children are leaving video messages or letters for their kids. Any other ideas to share? I'm not terminal yet but I'd like to leave video while I look decent. I will be restarting chemo for my first reoccurence for stage 4 ovarian. I'm uncertain what the future will bring!

Comments

• helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    Great Idea
    Nancy,

I have 2 kids, 14 & 12 but am only stage 1 bc. I had my mastetomy two weeks ago and everything is gone, Thank God. I haven't done anything for my kids because of this. If it, God forbid, comes back I am sure that I would leave a video message. Cancer, no matter what kind, is a hideous thing. Leaving your kids something of you that they can look at and listen to forever and whenever they need you is an incredible gift that I'm sure they will treasure.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Even if you don't have small
    Even if you don't have small children I think making videos and written messages are wonderful. We have videos from throughout our life. I have some with my mom. Not so many with my dad as he was taking them. My sister transfered them to DVD's and gave a copy to each sibling and their children. Now both parents have passed but we still have the videos. They were silent back then but when she copied them to VHS, my parents were watching and making comments. I wish we had as much for my husband's parents. My children never knew their grandmother as she died before they were born.

Video's are great ways of leaving something behind of who you were. All through your life.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    yes, it is a great idea.

I had not thought of it. I am photographer and videographer with plenty of footage of others and almost nothing of myself. I have been more focused on my Will, legalities with my daughter's father in West Africa and sorting through my crap. I like this idea, I would like my daughter to be able to remember me as I am right now. Something to do over the holidays.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

yes, it is a great idea.

I had not thought of it. I am photographer and videographer with plenty of footage of others and almost nothing of myself. I have been more focused on my Will, legalities with my daughter's father in West Africa and sorting through my crap. I like this idea, I would like my daughter to be able to remember me as I am right now. Something to do over the holidays.

I've already decided to
    I've already decided to write letters to each of my children and grandchildren before I pass. I'm not terminal either, but have planned this for a long time. I don't think I could do a video because it would be too emotional for me but I think I can write down my feelings and let them know how much I love them and hope for their future.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

yes, it is a great idea.

always behind the camera too!
    I am not a photographer or videographer but I am always the one taking the pics and videos. I also am in the process of making memory books for them. In the video though I wonder how much can one say without saying the same thing over and over.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    nancy591 said:

always behind the camera too!
    I am not a photographer or videographer but I am always the one taking the pics and videos. I also am in the process of making memory books for them. In the video though I wonder how much can one say without saying the same thing over and over.

I think that writing
    I think that writing journals is a good thing to do with or without the diagnosis of cancer. There is so much that is forgotten when we are gone. I have a friend whose grandmother kept journals her whole life. They contained every day stuff from the time her mother was born. I forgot how many there were but there were a lot of them. She has read them several times and shared them with her brothers and cousins. It has things as simple as going to the store and the high prices (in 1948) of food to the loss of her son to melanoma and the death of her husband. It is a journey of her life and they are treasured. I myself write poetry and thoughts on my life. I do them on the computer, print them out and they are in with all the important household papers. No one knows they are there but when I am gone they will find them. I tend to write around new year's eve and give a capsule view of the past year. I only started doing this about 10 years ago and wish I had started sooner. This year I think I will write not only the past year but another one that contains stuff from when I was little until I started these. So I think that journals, videos and pictures are a good idea. A video could be done the same way as the journal, just a yearly update with your wishes for the future. Very upbeat and full of love.
    Stef
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

I think that writing
    I think that writing journals is a good thing to do with or without the diagnosis of cancer. There is so much that is forgotten when we are gone. I have a friend whose grandmother kept journals her whole life. They contained every day stuff from the time her mother was born. I forgot how many there were but there were a lot of them. She has read them several times and shared them with her brothers and cousins. It has things as simple as going to the store and the high prices (in 1948) of food to the loss of her son to melanoma and the death of her husband. It is a journey of her life and they are treasured. I myself write poetry and thoughts on my life. I do them on the computer, print them out and they are in with all the important household papers. No one knows they are there but when I am gone they will find them. I tend to write around new year's eve and give a capsule view of the past year. I only started doing this about 10 years ago and wish I had started sooner. This year I think I will write not only the past year but another one that contains stuff from when I was little until I started these. So I think that journals, videos and pictures are a good idea. A video could be done the same way as the journal, just a yearly update with your wishes for the future. Very upbeat and full of love.
    Stef

That is a great idea!
    That is a great idea! Thanks for posting it. I did start a journal and try to keep it up.

HUGS
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

That is a great idea!
    That is a great idea! Thanks for posting it. I did start a journal and try to keep it up.

HUGS

Good idea
    I saw a young Mother do this on a tv special about women with children that had bc. I think it is a wonderful idea. I started writing everything down as best I could.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    I have a journal,as did my Dad
    My Dad died at 91! no cancer, but his journal was for me and I read it all the time,He has been gone more than 6years,and inthe last 3+months I have read and read,and felt his love on every word. Hi writings covered many many years. often written to "dear daughter, I want to tell you..."
    I do not have children, but want to remember some things from this cancer,some I want to forget. Whether the journal is ever ead by me or anyone ,who knows. Perhaspit can help someone in some time going through the same crap, or help my caregiver or family at a later date. I know my cargiver has read a few things and it has helped her to help herself as well as me.
    Peace
  • Mikes Sunshine
    Mikes Sunshine Member Posts: 129
    Options
    Lynda53 said:

I have a journal,as did my Dad
    My Dad died at 91! no cancer, but his journal was for me and I read it all the time,He has been gone more than 6years,and inthe last 3+months I have read and read,and felt his love on every word. Hi writings covered many many years. often written to "dear daughter, I want to tell you..."
    I do not have children, but want to remember some things from this cancer,some I want to forget. Whether the journal is ever ead by me or anyone ,who knows. Perhaspit can help someone in some time going through the same crap, or help my caregiver or family at a later date. I know my cargiver has read a few things and it has helped her to help herself as well as me.
    Peace

Great Ideas
    I think writing letters for your children is a wonderful idea. I lost my first husband 9 years ago to lung cancer. We had 2 beautiful daughters together. Unfortunatly I was so busy in the day to day activities of life and taking care of him while he was sick I never thought to have him write something for our girls. They are now 21 and 26 and I know they would love to have a few words of wisdome and love that came from there Daddy. I say do it!
    Love and peace to you, Nancy