Post surgery pathology report

terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a lumpectomy on Thurs and I received the pathology report from the surgeon's office today. Thank God the report did not show anything new or unexpected. The dx remained insiti ductal carcinoma stage 2. The margins are clear but the surgeon felt that one side margin was too close so he wants to go back in and remove a little more on that side to get a bigger margin. I am bummed that I have to have surgery again in a couple weeks but I am more relieved that the cancer isn't worse than it is. I go to see oncon Jan 4th for treatment plan.

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    It seems to be fairly common
    It seems to be fairly common that the plastic surgeon's have to do a reincision to get a cleaner margin. Several on here have had it done. Glad that your prognosis was the same. I am sorry that you have to have surgery again. When do you have the surgery? Let us know.

KYLEZ ♥
  • Myshell
    Myshell Member Posts: 31
    Kylez said:

It seems to be fairly common
    It seems to be fairly common that the plastic surgeon's have to do a reincision to get a cleaner margin. Several on here have had it done. Glad that your prognosis was the same. I am sorry that you have to have surgery again. When do you have the surgery? Let us know.

KYLEZ ♥

I'm glad there weren't any
    I'm glad there weren't any surprises with your path report!!..and thankful that your docs are being thorough!! But I am sorry you have to have surgery again. Have a sweet Christmas!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Terri
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. I had to have more nodes taken out also so that made my second surgery a bit worse than first. The breast part was not bad. The worst thing was a drain the second time. Be thankful that you have caught it at an early stage. We need to do everything we can to keep the beast away.

Try to relax some and have a great Holiday season.
    Jadie<3
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Ditto on all the comments
    Ditto on all the comments made. Do try to relax and enjoy your holidays with friends and family!!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    MyTurnNow said:

Ditto on all the comments
    Ditto on all the comments made. Do try to relax and enjoy your holidays with friends and family!!

So sorry Terri. Please try
    So sorry Terri. Please try to enjoy your holidays with your family. Merry Christmas!

Lex♥
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Congrats on good news
    Good news on your path report! I also had very narrow clean margins on my lumpectomy and was prepared to go back for further excision as I discussed w/my surgeon. She was able to discuss my case w/the radiation oncologist and he felt that further excision wouldn't be necessary...that anything possible that was left could be taken care w/radiation. Not sure what is involved in your treatment plan, but worth considering. I was very concerned about the cosmetic effect of further excision, but was still prepared to go for it. Someting to think about anyway...

God Bless...Julie
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    jbug said:

Congrats on good news
    Good news on your path report! I also had very narrow clean margins on my lumpectomy and was prepared to go back for further excision as I discussed w/my surgeon. She was able to discuss my case w/the radiation oncologist and he felt that further excision wouldn't be necessary...that anything possible that was left could be taken care w/radiation. Not sure what is involved in your treatment plan, but worth considering. I was very concerned about the cosmetic effect of further excision, but was still prepared to go for it. Someting to think about anyway...

God Bless...Julie

That is good news on your
    That is good news on your path report. I am sorry they will have to go back and get a wider margin. Try to have a great holiday!

Sue :)
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Ritzy said:

That is good news on your
    That is good news on your path report. I am sorry they will have to go back and get a wider margin. Try to have a great holiday!

Sue :)

Great news you got on your
    Great news you got on your pathology report! We all want clean margins.

Leeza
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I had IDC also. It was only
    I had IDC also. It was only Stage 1 no lymph node involvement. It was only 1.1 CMS he took out about a golf ball size amount to get the clear margin. I have lost so much weight from the Celiac diseas issue that my breasts are a cup size smaller and actually, the match!LOLStill working on getting that blue marker marks off from the RADS treatments! I almost have that stupid big circle off they put on me for the "boost"

Ask your Medical Oncologist about the Oncotype DX test. It gives a good indicator to help to decide on treatment plans.
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    lanie940 said:

I had IDC also. It was only
    I had IDC also. It was only Stage 1 no lymph node involvement. It was only 1.1 CMS he took out about a golf ball size amount to get the clear margin. I have lost so much weight from the Celiac diseas issue that my breasts are a cup size smaller and actually, the match!LOLStill working on getting that blue marker marks off from the RADS treatments! I almost have that stupid big circle off they put on me for the "boost"

Ask your Medical Oncologist about the Oncotype DX test. It gives a good indicator to help to decide on treatment plans.

What
    a relief!! but as suggested above talk to your doc about the radiation and YES ask about the OncoType testing. I had it done and I didn't have to have chemo since my score was so low for recurrance.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Calleen said:

What
    a relief!! but as suggested above talk to your doc about the radiation and YES ask about the OncoType testing. I had it done and I didn't have to have chemo since my score was so low for recurrance.

A lot of us got the Oncotype
    A lot of us got the Oncotype testing and I think it is a good test to get. Sometimes your oncologist won't suggest it. So, bring it up if he doesn't.

Happy Holidays.