trouble healing after surgery

mberg
mberg Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double mastectomy nov 20 and have had 2 revisions already.Has anyone else had trouble?I did have chemo first which is why the drs think i am having so many issues healing. I am getting depressed and just down because I feel so bad still. Any advice?? thanks monica

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Hi Monica
    I was wondering about you. Sorry to hear about your healing problems. Probably you body have been too distressed by Chemo,
    I had my surgery before Chemo. However after I had my son I used UV lamp for healing of my stitches I It was a cosmetic devise and it did help.
    I think anything which can boost your immune system can help. My breast and plastic surgeons insisted that good nutrition is very critical for healing too.
    Please stay in touch. you did beat cancer and it gone.
    I wish you speedy recovery and sending you a big hug.
    New Flower
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Hi Monica
    I was wondering about you. Sorry to hear about your healing problems. Probably you body have been too distressed by Chemo,
    I had my surgery before Chemo. However after I had my son I used UV lamp for healing of my stitches I It was a cosmetic devise and it did help.
    I think anything which can boost your immune system can help. My breast and plastic surgeons insisted that good nutrition is very critical for healing too.
    Please stay in touch. you did beat cancer and it gone.
    I wish you speedy recovery and sending you a big hug.
    New Flower

How are you today
    Monica,
    I hope you are feeling better today,
    I am sending my positive thoughts to you,
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Try Juven
    Monica,

I had trouble after 5 weeks. Too much saline in my expanders caused my incisions to turn red and start draining. Had outpatient surgery 12/17. Plastic surgeon replaced my expanders with saline implants. Immediately I felt better. No more pain! Of course this has delayed chemo.

Try eating high protein foods. Also, any foods that boost your immune system. I was given a powdered drink mix called Juven by the chemo nurse. It's for wound healing and to boost immune system. Just started drinking it so hope it helps. Should be able to get Juven at your local drug stores. I bought mine at Rite Aid.

Kim
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Kim59 said:

Try Juven
    Monica,

I had trouble after 5 weeks. Too much saline in my expanders caused my incisions to turn red and start draining. Had outpatient surgery 12/17. Plastic surgeon replaced my expanders with saline implants. Immediately I felt better. No more pain! Of course this has delayed chemo.

Try eating high protein foods. Also, any foods that boost your immune system. I was given a powdered drink mix called Juven by the chemo nurse. It's for wound healing and to boost immune system. Just started drinking it so hope it helps. Should be able to get Juven at your local drug stores. I bought mine at Rite Aid.

Kim

Sorry
    So sorry that you are having problems Monica. Praying that you feel better!

Leeza
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    jnl said:

Sorry
    So sorry that you are having problems Monica. Praying that you feel better!

Leeza

I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't answer your questions. I hope that you get your answers.

Good luck!

HUGS
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Monica - my revision is
    Monica - my revision is scheduled for the 23 due to healing problems... I was told by someone who works in a plastic surgeons office (not mine) that smoking and being overweight cause the healing issues... I do not smoke and am not thin but not really overweight either.. now were starting to think its my rheumatoid arthritis or maybe the drugs I take for it...

I was also told to eat more protein..

Hope things go well for you...

Dot
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    healing
    It seems to take more time than expected--I had a suture carcinoma--think that is the correct term. A long stitch actually protruded from my body after that same area had been oozing for 5 months.
    After the surgeon fixed that, I seemed to start healing. Good luck with everything.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    lizzie17 said:

healing
    It seems to take more time than expected--I had a suture carcinoma--think that is the correct term. A long stitch actually protruded from my body after that same area had been oozing for 5 months.
    After the surgeon fixed that, I seemed to start healing. Good luck with everything.

MBerg .. Thank you for posting this question ???? As I have
    an appointment tomorrow, 12/22 @ 3:30 p.m. to see the Plastic Surgeon .. and I am FREAKIN out. I see the responses from the other gals, and it gives me reason for concern. Oozing for 5 months after surgery -- YIKES.

If it is ok .. I would like to private message both you and lizzie17 ...

VickiSam
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    thanks for all the
    thanks for all the responses! i bought juven, and have been eating more protein! fingers crossed it works!!!monica