Staying active

Kathryn_in_MN
Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
The studies and recommendations keep showing one of the best things we can do to be proactive after a colon cancer dx is to get exercise. Simple enough - something we actually DO have control over most of the time. Obviously not so much just after surgeries or tough chemo cycles, but once we are done with treatments this is very important to prevent recurrance. And overall healthy for you no matter what.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/ ... lin007.xml

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Exactly!
    And eat right! A 2007 study by the Dana Farber Cancer Inst. showed that those who continue eating a traditional Western Diet with red meats, desserts, fats had 3 1/2 times the rate of recurrence and early death than those who cleaned up their diets! This study was done on Stage III w/ surgery and chemo. Age, sex, nodes had no bearing on these results!

Click here to read more
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member

Exactly!
    And eat right! A 2007 study by the Dana Farber Cancer Inst. showed that those who continue eating a traditional Western Diet with red meats, desserts, fats had 3 1/2 times the rate of recurrence and early death than those who cleaned up their diets! This study was done on Stage III w/ surgery and chemo. Age, sex, nodes had no bearing on these results!

Click here to read more

YES
    One more thing we have control over, in this battle where we often feel we have lost control of everything.

Funny thing is I've always eaten pretty healthy - no red meat and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Not much in the way of fats or sweets. I'm not eating as healthy on chemo because I just need to get what I can in - I've still been losing weight. But I fully intend to go back to my healthy eating as soon as I can.
  • Holdtight
    Holdtight Member Posts: 151
    HI!
    Thanks again so much for your help Kathryn - you are so good! God Bless. Hugs.
  • andicat
    andicat Member Posts: 10
    Holdtight said:

HI!
    Thanks again so much for your help Kathryn - you are so good! God Bless. Hugs.

Yeah - before cancer I did
    Yeah - before cancer I did everything right. No red meat, just fish and some chicken. Loved to eat beans, fruits and veg. Exercised every day. Then I got cancer. I thought, what good is doing all the right stuff, I still got cancer. And I told myself I'm going to eat sweets and junk. But then I came to my senses and decided I should still eat right. But during chemo I just eat what I can to eat, which means not the best stuff. But when chemo ends, I look forward to fruits and veggies again, and maybe even garbanzo beans again.