shingles

2»

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    lisa42 said:

oh wow
    Hi Mags,

As others have said, I'm sorry to hear you have shingles but glad it's not the cancer acting up more! My second child had shingles on her 2nd birthday. She actually got it from the varicella vaccine, which she had right around her 1 year old birthday. She and my son got the vaccine at the same time & both broke out with a mild case of chicken pox after being exposed to it a couple of months after getting the vaccine. One year after that, my daughter broke out with shingles. I wasn't sure what it was at first- never heard of it happening in a young child like that & neither had their doctor, but they thought it was from the vaccine. She's 14 now and hasn't had any other outbreaks. The sores usually are all on one side of the body & my daughter's were on the opposite of what the "usual" is (which I forgot which side that was). Anyhow- rambling here, sorry- I do hope that you get some relief from the shingles. There are medications available, I believe- both oral and topical, so make sure you get some good meds for it.

Hugs to you,
    Lisa

one side
    yes Lisa all my pain and sores are on one side....the left side. I really don't think I am going to get any meds....in 2 hours off to onc

Buzz what is a steroid pack??????

mmmmwarm coffee cold morning. I know it's not good but i do not want to give up the morning coffee

thanks, mags
  • Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    3rd try
    Mags, I too got shingles down the back of my legs and they suck! I was told that the chicken pox virus lays dormant in your system for life and with chemotherapy, your immune system is unable to keep the virus dormant and therefore, the flareup.

At first sign of shingles, get to a doctor and get on medication. The sooner you get on the pill (can't remember the name of the medication) the quicker it controls the breakout. Hang in there and eventually they'll go away with no scaring!
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    Hi Mags
    I wish I could wear some of your pain for you. My son got shingles when he was 16. We moved 2 hours away to a new city, new school, new kids, new sports, new atmosphere. we were from the Central valley in California and moved to the central coast life is completely different here. My son was miserable, and angry, and upset, and loved the coast and hated missing his friends, but loved the new atmosphere but missed his old life terribly he had a horrible case of shingles to boot. The doctor gave him medicine and told him when he was upset to let it fly, don't hold bag because being upset was making the shingles worse they seem to take months to go away. He was a wrestler and wrestled with them. He got cleared from the doctor, but he was still in severe pain. And when the stress was more under his arms and down arm opening and center of his back would be covered in shingles. I don't know how he stood it. We did have a lot of open let it fly conversations, because I couldn't stand for him to hurt, I think his dad and I let a few things slide to just so we could not let him hurt. Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Can I say please worry about only those things you have control over and ride out the others and let your friends and family step in and help with the other. Lots huge hugs your way. Goofyladie (Cass)
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299

Hi Mags
    I wish I could wear some of your pain for you. My son got shingles when he was 16. We moved 2 hours away to a new city, new school, new kids, new sports, new atmosphere. we were from the Central valley in California and moved to the central coast life is completely different here. My son was miserable, and angry, and upset, and loved the coast and hated missing his friends, but loved the new atmosphere but missed his old life terribly he had a horrible case of shingles to boot. The doctor gave him medicine and told him when he was upset to let it fly, don't hold bag because being upset was making the shingles worse they seem to take months to go away. He was a wrestler and wrestled with them. He got cleared from the doctor, but he was still in severe pain. And when the stress was more under his arms and down arm opening and center of his back would be covered in shingles. I don't know how he stood it. We did have a lot of open let it fly conversations, because I couldn't stand for him to hurt, I think his dad and I let a few things slide to just so we could not let him hurt. Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Can I say please worry about only those things you have control over and ride out the others and let your friends and family step in and help with the other. Lots huge hugs your way. Goofyladie (Cass)

Hi Mags!
    :-(
    Boy,do I feel

Hi Mags!
    :-(
    Boy,do I feel bad for you!
    my father -in -law used to get them real bad
    all over his torso and he used to say how very painful they are.
    They are from the chicken pox virus,
    that lays dormant in your system and something sets
    them off.
    They sometimes took a couple months to go away.
    He only got them on his torso.
    Hope you feel better soon.

kATE
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

If you've had chicken
    If you've had chicken pox,
    you have the virus dormant in your system.
    they are not sure what sets it off. some people
    never get them,a compromised immune system
    cetainly doesn't help.