Do you know of any equal statistics on any type of male cancer?

Options
crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering, does anyone know of a cancer that will affect one out of eight MEN in their lifetime? Currently that is the way breast cancer occurances are explained.

Comments

• MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    Options
    prostate cancer, actually I
    prostate cancer, actually I think the odds are greater
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Men actually have a bigger risk of cancer.
    The stats are that one in 3 women will get cancer in their lifetime and one in 2 men. It may not be one cancer that rivals breast cancer but ultimately cancer is cancer and they are at a bigger risk in their lifetimes.

Roseann
  • crselby
    Options
    equally awful treatments?
    And do they undergo the same awful chemo treatments that poison the body temporarily but with sometimes permanent side effects? andDo they undergo the burning of their flesh with radiation that we do? Are they told to take post treatment drugs that may have serious or even fatal side effects?

I'm venting here. I'm glad we have fairly effective treatments to try, but I wonder about the male-run research, pharmecutical, and medical fields. I want something better for all of us. I want an end to women developing breast cancer in the first place.

Sorry for the vent.
  • crselby
    Options
    survival
    By the way, their survival rate for prostate cancer is far better than ours is for breast cancer. nasty disease
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

survival
    By the way, their survival rate for prostate cancer is far better than ours is for breast cancer. nasty disease

Yes, there are actually lots
    Yes, there are actually lots of cancers that men (and women) get that use poisonous chemo with temporary and sometimes permanent side effects and radiation is used on men (and women) for many cancer with burning and sometimes other side effects (some with long term side effects). I know that you are venting because you have breast cancer but we shouldn't try to rate a cancer or compare them. They are all awful. There is research going on continually for all cancers. Breast cancer does have a significant amount of money put into research etc. And I say hooray that prostrate cancer has a better survival rate. I only hope that one day ours will have an improved survival rate and a cure. But I hope that all cancers find a cure. I appreciate how frustrating breast cancer is for you but for some of us who have been lucky enough not to have chemo and/or radiation it diminishes our fight with this disease. I had only a lumpectomy and radiation and I feel blessed that it was that easy. I do take arimidex and again, I am blessed I don't have side effects. But that doesn't mean my battle was easy. This is my third primary cancer and I am about to have my third skin cancer removed. Again, I have been lucky. All have been caught early and I have only needed radiation. There are others, Kathi is one, that have battled more than one cancer and still others with recurrences, new breast cancers, and mets. It's cancer that is the enemy and our venting and raging should be directed at all cancers. I wouldn't feel any better about my cancers if someone's had a poorer survival rate. Hope I didn't offend anyone and maybe I just misread the post.
    But venting is good and you have every right to your opinion and I respect that. I just have a different view point.
    Stef
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Yes, there are actually lots
    Yes, there are actually lots of cancers that men (and women) get that use poisonous chemo with temporary and sometimes permanent side effects and radiation is used on men (and women) for many cancer with burning and sometimes other side effects (some with long term side effects). I know that you are venting because you have breast cancer but we shouldn't try to rate a cancer or compare them. They are all awful. There is research going on continually for all cancers. Breast cancer does have a significant amount of money put into research etc. And I say hooray that prostrate cancer has a better survival rate. I only hope that one day ours will have an improved survival rate and a cure. But I hope that all cancers find a cure. I appreciate how frustrating breast cancer is for you but for some of us who have been lucky enough not to have chemo and/or radiation it diminishes our fight with this disease. I had only a lumpectomy and radiation and I feel blessed that it was that easy. I do take arimidex and again, I am blessed I don't have side effects. But that doesn't mean my battle was easy. This is my third primary cancer and I am about to have my third skin cancer removed. Again, I have been lucky. All have been caught early and I have only needed radiation. There are others, Kathi is one, that have battled more than one cancer and still others with recurrences, new breast cancers, and mets. It's cancer that is the enemy and our venting and raging should be directed at all cancers. I wouldn't feel any better about my cancers if someone's had a poorer survival rate. Hope I didn't offend anyone and maybe I just misread the post.
    But venting is good and you have every right to your opinion and I respect that. I just have a different view point.
    Stef

Cancer is Cancer, no matter who or what type
    All I have to say is that cancer is cancer. It is all horrible no matter what the treatment or how many treatments, male or female, child or adult, or, how long the treatments. It is still the scariest word for anyone to hear and the hardest to fight, in my opinion. Venting is good for anyone, but, I would never think of comparing someone else's cancer to my bc. And, as far as stats go, I just pray that someday there are none, as there is cure for every kind of cancer!
  • crselby
    Options
    missed the point
    I may have rambled in such a way that ya'll missed my point. Sorry. I do not want to compare cancers. no no no no. It's all awful, scary, unthinkable... no matter who or what! We agree on that! What I was looking at were the kinds of treatments and the resulting survival rates. If you don't have the same mistrust of westernized, male dominated medicine that I do, you could have missed my point in the jumble of what I wrote. Anyway, it was a rant and not at all helpful to post to a discussion board and should probably be dropped as a topic. Again, sorry. One of those mood things, I guess. I should pause for an hour before I post something to wait for the mood to change, eh? haha
    ~~Connie~~