It's back

jvancik
jvancik Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I am 5 and a half years out from an RRP. I am 61 and looking to enjoy a retirement in 9 months. In 5 days I will learn whether or not I qualify for a biochemical failure. My post RRP PSA was 0.19. It bounced around for a bit but once it got to 0.24 it stayed at this level for 2 tests and then rose to 0.35. My urologist has already told me that if it has increased, he will recommend salvage radiation therapy. But what if it hasn't increased? Isn't it obvious that the cancer is still present? Wouldn't it be prudent to go ahead with salvage radiation anyway? What is salvage radiation like? Am I looking at returning to ED, incontinence...or something worse? What can I expect from the outcome of this therapy? Will I be looking at hormonal therapy in a couple of years? I am trying to get my mind around this new development. Basically I trust my urologist but he tends to be strangely optimistic and upbeat. I would appreciate any perspective that I can get on this development ,,,, thanks ,,,, Jerry

Comments

• HIFUgal
    HIFUgal Member Posts: 58
    There's another option for
    There's another option for you, http://www.nyhifucenter.com/index.php

My husband had HIFU in Mexico, best money we ever spent. A cyber friend told me about it, so I try to inform others, we've sent in many friends all are thrilled. It should be FDA approved this next year (2010).

Best of luck
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    Stress
    Take time to relax and get the stress out of your life. You have plenty of time to figure things out. If you did nothing your chances of dying of this cancer are slim as it will take many years before this cancer would end your life. Take time to think about your choices of treatment as they will have more effect on you than just doing nothing. It's not like you are going to lose the ability to function without treatment in the next year or so. The stress you bring to this problem is worse than the cancer and you will be happier as will the people around you if you just not dwell on it. I have survived many years beyond the 2 years I was given to live at the time of my diagnosis and have had no treatment for over 5 years even though my psa is back up to 40+. Enjoy your retirement and all the best.
  • jvancik
    HIFUgal said:

There's another option for
    There's another option for you, http://www.nyhifucenter.com/index.php

My husband had HIFU in Mexico, best money we ever spent. A cyber friend told me about it, so I try to inform others, we've sent in many friends all are thrilled. It should be FDA approved this next year (2010).

Best of luck

HIFU
    Hi ... thanks for the information! ... I hadn't heard of this treatment. I have checked out the web site and have read the information with interest ... it sounds like an alternative to keep in mind and get more information about... Jerry .....
  • jvancik
    2ndBase said:

Stress
    Take time to relax and get the stress out of your life. You have plenty of time to figure things out. If you did nothing your chances of dying of this cancer are slim as it will take many years before this cancer would end your life. Take time to think about your choices of treatment as they will have more effect on you than just doing nothing. It's not like you are going to lose the ability to function without treatment in the next year or so. The stress you bring to this problem is worse than the cancer and you will be happier as will the people around you if you just not dwell on it. I have survived many years beyond the 2 years I was given to live at the time of my diagnosis and have had no treatment for over 5 years even though my psa is back up to 40+. Enjoy your retirement and all the best.

Stress
    ... thanks for your perspective ... I feel as though I've come down a notch or two from threat level RED ... I appreciate being reminded that rushing into anything in a high state of anxiety ... especially when not necessary is foolish ... my sense that I still have some control over this thing is returning ... best wishes for your continuing health! ... and thanks again .... Jerry
  • jvancik
    I got the results of the PSA
    I got the results of the PSA on Wednesday and it has risen again ... the last 3 were 0.24, 0.35 and 0.45. My urologist wants to arrange a consult for me with a radiation oncologist ... he says there is no rush ... but as it was when I got the RRP 5.5 years ago, I want to try to maximize my chances of reaching a cure. What are good questions to ask the radiation oncologist in order to determine if I'm going to get the best possible treatment? .... with the least possible side effects .... any ideas would be appreciated .... thanks,,, Jerry