Question I don't understand

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
There is a lot of posts about Mets. What is a met ? Whats the difference between a met and a tumor. Can it spread all over, do they remove them ? Please explain Thanks

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    I will try
    Hey Kathy! From what I understand, when they say mets, it means that your primary cancer has gone to another place, such as your brain, liver, bones, breast, lungs or w/e.

metastasis (meh-TAS-ta-sis): The spread of cancer from one part of the body to another. Tumors formed from cells that have spread are called "secondary tumors" and contain cells that are like those in the original (primary) tumor. The plural is metastases.

I hope that explains it. Some of the women on this board that have had bc twice or more or another cancer again don't have this. They have what is called a NEW cancer, not a mets. Did I explain it ok?

Sue :)
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Ritzy said:

I will try
    Hey Kathy! From what I understand, when they say mets, it means that your primary cancer has gone to another place, such as your brain, liver, bones, breast, lungs or w/e.

metastasis (meh-TAS-ta-sis): The spread of cancer from one part of the body to another. Tumors formed from cells that have spread are called "secondary tumors" and contain cells that are like those in the original (primary) tumor. The plural is metastases.

I hope that explains it. Some of the women on this board that have had bc twice or more or another cancer again don't have this. They have what is called a NEW cancer, not a mets. Did I explain it ok?

Yes
    Sue You did-very well! :-) Thanks!
    Cat
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Ritzy said:

I will try

Good Job, Ritzy. You
    Good Job, Ritzy. You explained it very well. Another point is, that if it does spread to another place, it is stlll called Breast Cancer, not Lung cancer or bone cancer. The secondary cancer is not as strong as the primary cancer.
  • Ritzy
    meena1 said:

Good Job, Ritzy. You
    Good Job, Ritzy. You explained it very well. Another point is, that if it does spread to another place, it is stlll called Breast Cancer, not Lung cancer or bone cancer. The secondary cancer is not as strong as the primary cancer.

: )
    Thanks ladies! ( takes a bow hehe )

Good point Meena and you are right! So, YOU take a bow!

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Ritzy said:

: )
    Thanks ladies! ( takes a bow hehe )

Good point Meena and you are right! So, YOU take a bow!

Thank you, I understand now.

• Ritzy
    Kat11 said:

Glad I could help Kathy!
    Glad I could help Kathy!