scared again

jarsam
jarsam Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. You all gave me such a warm welcome. I have bc in my right breast, had a lumpectomy 2 weeks ago. Awaiting oncologist appointment, chemo, and rad. I just find out now that it is in my left breast also. Have to decide what to do. Iguess it's good that I can treat them both at the same time. Aren't my odds the same getting another lumpectomy or mastectomy, as far as cancer returning one day? I thought that was what I was told. Doc just told me to get tested for a gene. I am so scared. I did have full tests including bone scan, pet scan, breast mri. Pet scan came out clean for the rest of my body. Does that mean the rest of my body is clean right now??????? if pet scan says so? would it show all other cancers? I was handling this all so well until I got this call tonight about my other breast. She said if I test positive for the gene I could get ovarian cancer. Does anyone know about this? Would it have shown up in the pet scan? Has anyone else had bc in both breasts at the same time and no where else? With a good prognosis? Only 1 lymph node was involved and tumors are small.
Thanks for all of your help!
Michele

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Hi Michele, Are you also
    Hi Michele, Are you also her2 pos ? If you test postive for the Brac gene, then you will have to have your ovaries removed so you don't get Cancer there. I also now have to be tested. I had a lumpectomy in my R breast last june. I had 2 0f 22 nodes positive. I am Her2 pos. I was told the same as you regarding Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy. I do believe that if your pet scan showed nothing then you are clean. I have finished Chemo just last month and now have to do radiation the first week of Jan for 6 weeks. I also have to continue doing herceptin for a total of 52 rounds, because I am her2pos. I understand the panic. Just try and hang in there.
    My tumor was also small.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    I'm so sorry you received

I'm so sorry you received bad news again...the early part of this disease is such a roller coaster ride! The negative PET scan is excellent news! It does mean the rest of you is "clean". The BRAC 1 and 2 gene test gives you information of increased risk for breast cancer...which you have, as well as the potential for developing ovarian cancer. Best to wait until you have those results before you panic...though I do know how it goes to read a bunch of scary stuff and immediately think that "I would be going thru all that".

I don't have the same issues that you do...bc in one breast only, ER/PR + and HER2 neg. Sounds like you have some info, but not all. Prognosis will be very dependant on all the data. But no matter what, remember BC IS SURVIVABLE! That is so important for you to hang onto right now. Let us know what's happening.

God Bless...Julie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    jbug said:

I'm so sorry you received

I'm so sorry you received bad news again...the early part of this disease is such a roller coaster ride! The negative PET scan is excellent news! It does mean the rest of you is "clean". The BRAC 1 and 2 gene test gives you information of increased risk for breast cancer...which you have, as well as the potential for developing ovarian cancer. Best to wait until you have those results before you panic...though I do know how it goes to read a bunch of scary stuff and immediately think that "I would be going thru all that".

I don't have the same issues that you do...bc in one breast only, ER/PR + and HER2 neg. Sounds like you have some info, but not all. Prognosis will be very dependant on all the data. But no matter what, remember BC IS SURVIVABLE! That is so important for you to hang onto right now. Let us know what's happening.

God Bless...Julie

I am so sorry that you got
    I am so sorry that you got this bad news. If your PET scan was negative, then they found no more cancer. Your oncologist should be talking to you about what is next for you. I will be praying for you.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Hi Michele! Just want to
    Hi Michele! Just want to say how very sorry I am. We are here to support and to help you thru this. Let us know what your oncologist says. He will lay out your treatment plan.
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Hi Michele and welcome. I
    Hi Michele and welcome. I was first dx in 2001 and had lumpectomy and 36 rads. Took tamox for almost 5 yrs. I had numerous breast and endo biopsies and decided to have the BRACA gene testing done in 2007. My mother died of bc at the age of 46--40 years ago. I tested negative. Because of my family and personal history with bc, i was told I could have bilateral mastectomy and hysteroctomy. I chose not to do anything and in Aug this year had recurrance in the same breast. The biopsy was positive and a small invasive tumor was also found. Surgeon recommended bilateral mastectomy with lymph node testing on both sides. Lymph nodes were clear and they say cancer is gone. My onc has recommended Femara for 5 yrs. I am waiting for reconstruction process to be finished before I decide on taking med. Having cancer in another part of my body is scary. You are doing the right thing in learning all you can. This journey is overwhelming but this board has been invaluable to me and hope we can be there for you. Take good care of yourself. Marilyn
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Kat11 said:

Hi Michele, Are you also
    Hi Michele, Are you also her2 pos ? If you test postive for the Brac gene, then you will have to have your ovaries removed so you don't get Cancer there. I also now have to be tested. I had a lumpectomy in my R breast last june. I had 2 0f 22 nodes positive. I am Her2 pos. I was told the same as you regarding Lumpectomy vs Mastectomy. I do believe that if your pet scan showed nothing then you are clean. I have finished Chemo just last month and now have to do radiation the first week of Jan for 6 weeks. I also have to continue doing herceptin for a total of 52 rounds, because I am her2pos. I understand the panic. Just try and hang in there.
    My tumor was also small.

I am so sorry that you got
    I am so sorry that you got this bad news. Please keep us updated on you.

Hugs, Debby