shingles

maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
yeeeh just got back from GP....I have horrendous pain because I have shingles....isn't that weird...for 4 weeks i have just been lumping along thinking....oh my gosh cancer hurts

another indication of how much we are willing to put up with

anyone else had shingles????

gotta be better than cancer

mags

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Oh Mags!
    I'm so glad it isn't cancer but shucks!!!

Enuf is Enuf
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218

Oh Mags!
    I'm so glad it isn't cancer but shucks!!!

Enuf is Enuf

Husband has
    had it, but it was three years ago. Before the cancer hit him. Very painful stuff-his was in his neck and head and I know some get it in their mid-section. Feels like needles. He was in a great deal of pain, too. Glad it's not cancer, but golly how much is too much for one person? I think stress can bring it on, have you heard that?
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    SandyL said:

Husband has
    had it, but it was three years ago. Before the cancer hit him. Very painful stuff-his was in his neck and head and I know some get it in their mid-section. Feels like needles. He was in a great deal of pain, too. Glad it's not cancer, but golly how much is too much for one person? I think stress can bring it on, have you heard that?

hi
    Yes, I did get them when my grandson passed away.......too much stress was the culprit! They are very painful!
  • maglets
    SandyL said:

Husband has

stress
    i have heard....that stress can bring it on....gee I wonder if anyone here has had stress???? lol

anyway not to get too excited....I still have onc and cea results thurs...and Yes it is really bad pain. I had 3 morphine pills leftover from liver surgery and I tried one and it did not help one bit...ouuch talk about neuropathy...who cares...not cancer

mags
  • Holdtight
    Holdtight Member Posts: 151
    HI!
    Ouch! I feel your pain and I'm so sorry you have to suffer in another way. Enuf issssss Enuf. I had them after my 2nd tx in my shoulder. Unsure of what it was went to the ER they gave me morphine didn't even touch the pain. They detected internal shingles it was caused from a combination of stress and chemo. Anything that compromises the immune system will erupt shingles. I was able fortunately at the time to have my chemo dose lowered and was given valtrex and the pain did subside. I am going to get the vaccine after chemo so that I never have that pain again. See if you can have them help you like I had. Good Luck and you are in my prayers. God Bless. Hugs.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • confused1
    confused1 Member Posts: 50
    Shingle's
    Yes I got the shingles in my left eye and it left scaring all over my fore head and above my eye brows. And if i wouldn't of caught it soon enouhg I would of lost the sight in that eye. And it was suppose to have my ovaries taken out because the cancer had grown in them from my colon cancer. One of my nurses say it happens to alot of cancer patient's.It has alot to do with your nerves and nerve ending's.
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Nasty!
    Sorry to hear this Mags.

My wife, Pam, has had shingles. The stress of the caregivers!! Most recently in the last few weeks. Probably in response to my Irinotecan reaction! She gets a good jump on it and prevents most of the nastier symptoms. Anti-viral meds, lysene, vitamin "C" infusions, and other treatments.

Beyond the pain, it really saps your energy.

Peace and blessings... Rob; in Vancouver
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    robinvan said:

Nasty!
    Sorry to hear this Mags.

My wife, Pam, has had shingles. The stress of the caregivers!! Most recently in the last few weeks. Probably in response to my Irinotecan reaction! She gets a good jump on it and prevents most of the nastier symptoms. Anti-viral meds, lysene, vitamin "C" infusions, and other treatments.

Beyond the pain, it really saps your energy.

Peace and blessings... Rob; in Vancouver

Thats Terrible!
    So sorry to hear about the shingles mags, I know my friends father got them, and she said he was in alot of pain as well, and it took a long time for it to go away! I heard it could be from when or if you had chickenpox, it lays dormant in your system, and then can come back as shingles. But I figured it wasn't the cancer, because the cancer itself doesn't seem to hurt, just the medicine fighting it.

I hope you get better soon, will they be giving you something stronger for the pain? I wonder how they treat it? Hopefully it will get the heck out of your body soon! You'll be in my prayers!!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    It depends where you stand.
    G'day mags seems like a lot of folks on this board stood in front of the fan instead of behind it if you get my drift. I doubt if I will live long enough to get shingles as I didn't get chicken pox until I was 38. Get out the calamine lotion. I don't know who we upset but they like revenge. I had a standard eye exam the other day. They put the drops in to dilate my pupils after two days they are still dilated and the optomotrist is starting to panic. You wouldn't be dead for any money we are having so much fun. Hope the pain goes real quick,hugs,Ron.
  • maglets
    ron50 said:

G'day mags seems like a lot of folks on this board stood in front of the fan instead of behind it if you get my drift. I doubt if I will live long enough to get shingles as I didn't get chicken pox until I was 38. Get out the calamine lotion. I don't know who we upset but they like revenge. I had a standard eye exam the other day. They put the drops in to dilate my pupils after two days they are still dilated and the optomotrist is starting to panic. You wouldn't be dead for any money we are having so much fun. Hope the pain goes real quick,hugs,Ron.

g'day yourself Ron
    Ron we don't hear enough from you....so glad to see you...snowing like stink here....how bout you? gosh I hope your eyes are ok

re shingles...why yes indeedy they do hurt. I had 3 morphine tabs leftover from liver surgery so i thought I'd give em whirl....did not touch the pain. They willnot treat me now because if you catch it early I guess there are antivirals but I have left it for 4 weeks.

doc gave me a tiny dose of Elavil...apo-amitriptyline....it is an antidepressant when given in small doses is supposed to help with neuopathy...tried it last night....can't say it helped.

ok gotta go shovel snow

hugs to all and thanks

mags
  • ron50 said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • maglets
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

hi babs
    this is my first dose of shingles and I wonder if it is the compromised immune system....also had a wacker of a cold virus when it started.

your cancer shingles chicken egg thought is interesting....mmmmm

mags
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    maglets said:

hi babs
    this is my first dose of shingles and I wonder if it is the compromised immune system....also had a wacker of a cold virus when it started.

your cancer shingles chicken egg thought is interesting....mmmmm

mags

So Sorry
    Hi Mags,

So sorry you have another "thing" to deal with. You are a real toughy, I can't believe you made it so long without treatment. Hopefully you will find something to help with the pain. My mom had shingles and she was on percocet. Sure hope you start feeling better. I'll be prayiing for you.

Debbie (gramma)
  • maglets

So Sorry
    Hi Mags,

So sorry you have another "thing" to deal with. You are a real toughy, I can't believe you made it so long without treatment. Hopefully you will find something to help with the pain. My mom had shingles and she was on percocet. Sure hope you start feeling better. I'll be prayiing for you.

Debbie (gramma)

thanks Debb
    I think I have pretty much decided to tough this one out. The antivirals I think are only good for maybe 72 hours after rash eruption. Poor old liver....hate to flood it with percs...

thanks for your thoughts and prayers. For any of you caring for someone with shingles I can honestly say this is THE worst pain I have ever had....even after 2 liver resections...
    she's a real kicker for sure.

mags
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Sorry to hear about your
    Sorry to hear about your pain with the shingles, Mags. I hope you are feeling much better very soon!
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Mags
    Mags,
    So sorry to hear about shingles and the pain you are having. Hoping you get some relief for the holidays.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    So sorry
    I'm sorry to hear you have shingles. But thank goodness it isn't cancer. Shingles will go away. But in the meantime you've got a lot of pain to deal with - that sucks.

I hope it clears up soon for you.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

So sorry
    I'm sorry to hear you have shingles. But thank goodness it isn't cancer. Shingles will go away. But in the meantime you've got a lot of pain to deal with - that sucks.

I hope it clears up soon for you.

What about a Steroid Pack ?
    I believe that a steroid pack would maybe help in reducing the pain and discomfort some...
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    oh wow
    Hi Mags,

As others have said, I'm sorry to hear you have shingles but glad it's not the cancer acting up more! My second child had shingles on her 2nd birthday. She actually got it from the varicella vaccine, which she had right around her 1 year old birthday. She and my son got the vaccine at the same time & both broke out with a mild case of chicken pox after being exposed to it a couple of months after getting the vaccine. One year after that, my daughter broke out with shingles. I wasn't sure what it was at first- never heard of it happening in a young child like that & neither had their doctor, but they thought it was from the vaccine. She's 14 now and hasn't had any other outbreaks. The sores usually are all on one side of the body & my daughter's were on the opposite of what the "usual" is (which I forgot which side that was). Anyhow- rambling here, sorry- I do hope that you get some relief from the shingles. There are medications available, I believe- both oral and topical, so make sure you get some good meds for it.

Hugs to you,
    Lisa