Bone scan experience ....

tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well ... I had the bone scan yesterday. I had myself all worked up. Got the injection at 8:00 AM then had 3 hours to kill. The injection was not bad at all (and I am a big CHICKEN!). To help kill time I'd scheduled my echocardiogram for 9:00 ... which was in the same building ... and that didn't take long at all ... so still had a ton of time to kill. Anyway ... after going out and getting ... and drinking a LARGE McDonald's sweet tea and going potty a few times ... it was finally 11:00 and time for the scan. I didn't have to take any jewelry off ... and the zipper in my jeans was not a problem. I just plopped up on the table and away things went. Of course the instant the "thing" got right "in my face" and I needed to hold fairly still ... then my nose started to itch like crazy and I felt like I was going to sneeze. But I didn't. The scan itself only took about 20-25 minutes ... BUT ... during part of it I could hear the technician in the other room talking to someone and he said "I just wanted you to come look at this." After the scan was over I should have asked him if he could see anything ... but I didn't ... and even if I'd asked ... he probably couldn't/wouldn't have told me anything. So ... last night seemed like it would never end. I could hardly sleep and I stewed all night about what the tech wanted the other guy to see.

Anyway ... I just got off the phone with the oncologist's office and the results of the echo were fine ... then I asked about the bone scan. The nurse said everything was "NEGATIVE!" I know I was being paranoid ... and we've all walked that walk ... but all I had going through my brain for 24 hours was that tech telling the other person to "come look at this." Of course I was thinking of all sorts of terrible things that could have been showing up on the scan ... but now ... good grief ... he could have wanted the guy to come see his new tattoo. It's amazing how we can make a mountain out of a molehill ... and our imaginations just go wild ... but I wish there was some way the "outside world" could know how much we can make out of every little word or action. It doesn't take much to put us back in "terror-mode" ...

But ... I do thank all of you for your prayers ... they worked.

love to you all.
teena

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    WOOHOO!
    Congrats Teena on the best news ever! I am so happy for you!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Yeahhhhhhh Teena... I am so
    Yeahhhhhhh Teena... I am so very happy to hear that your results were good news... I understand what you mean about the way our brains work overtime nearly all the time where tests are concerned.... and... don't you hate it when you have to hold still and your nose itches... lol... you just have to chuckle at the irony... So happy to share in your good news my friend.

♥ & hugs,
    ~T
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Great News
    So happy for you!!! Sometimes it's hard going through all that we have been through and not still be worried about things. I do it all the time. But now your worries are over!! Now you can enjoy your holidays.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Me too!
    Isn't it amazing how much you can hear in just a few words. The exact same thing happened during my last bone scan. Everything was going along fine until the technician walked out in the hall to talk to someone else. I couldn't hear all of it but heard her say "check this part" and then they both came in and looked at the screens. After it was over I couldn't stand it and asked if everything was okay and she said "the test went fine." I thought I would lose my mind before the oncologist told me it was completely clear. Like you, I have no idea what they were talking about!

I'm so glad you got great results on all your tests!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    mickeymom said:

Me too!
    Isn't it amazing how much you can hear in just a few words. The exact same thing happened during my last bone scan. Everything was going along fine until the technician walked out in the hall to talk to someone else. I couldn't hear all of it but heard her say "check this part" and then they both came in and looked at the screens. After it was over I couldn't stand it and asked if everything was okay and she said "the test went fine." I thought I would lose my mind before the oncologist told me it was completely clear. Like you, I have no idea what they were talking about!

I'm so glad you got great results on all your tests!!

Let's throw a party!
    You deserve one Teena! Congratulations on the good news! Thrilled for you!

They were probably comparing you know whats? I would draw it but I would probably be kicked off the site for it. You know what I mean, dontcha? lol :-0

Sue :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Ritzy said:

Let's throw a party!
    You deserve one Teena! Congratulations on the good news! Thrilled for you!

They were probably comparing you know whats? I would draw it but I would probably be kicked off the site for it. You know what I mean, dontcha? lol :-0

Sue :)

: )
    So happy that you got this good news Teena!

Debby
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    So glad
    for the good news, and sorry you were scared, but I totally understand. I probably would have reacted exactly like you did, and if I'd told my hubby he would have said "Why didn't you ask them, for Pete's Sake!" Then I would have felt like more of a dummy for not asking, but you're right, they probably wouldn't have been able to say anything, and may not have even been talking about you!

Things you never want to hear during a medical procedure:

"Oops!"
    "Uh oh!"
    "I've never seen that before!"
    "Hey, can you take a look at this?"

Glad it turned out well!
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Good for you!
    I'm so glad it went so well. Happy holidays. There is no better gift than that.

Roseann
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    So happy for you!
    Teena, that is great news! Of course you were apprehensive after you heard the tech say that! Good grief I would have been convinced I was on the brink of death. Of course I am just as paranoid as you are! I MADE my tech tell me what he saw. Of course I had also had 3 drinks beforehand...

I LOVE that you had an echocardiogram to "kill time." Um, ever heard of shopping, reading a book, going to lunch. LOL. Anyway, thrilled for you, my friend.

Mimi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    mimivac said:

So happy for you!
    Teena, that is great news! Of course you were apprehensive after you heard the tech say that! Good grief I would have been convinced I was on the brink of death. Of course I am just as paranoid as you are! I MADE my tech tell me what he saw. Of course I had also had 3 drinks beforehand...

I LOVE that you had an echocardiogram to "kill time." Um, ever heard of shopping, reading a book, going to lunch. LOL. Anyway, thrilled for you, my friend.

Mimi

Congrats, wonderful news. We
    Congrats, wonderful news. We needed some good news tonight.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    mimivac said:

So happy for you!

Mimi

Teena
    So glad that all is

Teena
    So glad that all is well. And yes, our imaginations can kick in, but be honest that was a pretty leading statement the tech made. Maybe he had just never seen such beautiful bones before. Yes, that must be it, a great skeleton. LOL
    I remember when a friend of mine had a questionable pap smear, they did some type of test where she was in stirrups and they used a dye and then looked with this scope thing. It took awhile and the doctor who was doing it keep having other doctors come in and take a look. She finally asked him if he was selling tickets and what her cut was going to be. Se said he almost choked, he laughed so hard. She never did find out what they were all looking at but everything turned out fine, no cancer.
    Stef
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    fauxma said:

Teena
    So glad that all is

Teena
    So glad that all is well. And yes, our imaginations can kick in, but be honest that was a pretty leading statement the tech made. Maybe he had just never seen such beautiful bones before. Yes, that must be it, a great skeleton. LOL
    I remember when a friend of mine had a questionable pap smear, they did some type of test where she was in stirrups and they used a dye and then looked with this scope thing. It took awhile and the doctor who was doing it keep having other doctors come in and take a look. She finally asked him if he was selling tickets and what her cut was going to be. Se said he almost choked, he laughed so hard. She never did find out what they were all looking at but everything turned out fine, no cancer.
    Stef

Congratulations!
    That is the news we all wanted to hear! Congrats Teena!

Leeza
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    HAPPINESS ABOUNDS
    Oh Teena you have made my day, thank you for sharing this. I realize I am reading it 12 hours after you posted it but my day has been quite busy. I am so pleased to hear everything went well.

Hugs to you my friend.

RE
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    RE said:

HAPPINESS ABOUNDS
    Oh Teena you have made my day, thank you for sharing this. I realize I am reading it 12 hours after you posted it but my day has been quite busy. I am so pleased to hear everything went well.

Hugs to you my friend.

RE

☺Great News Teena ☻
    Teena, this is just the best news! I know what a relief it is to have this bone scan over and to receive good news about it. I pray that all of your tests always come out this exact way! I hope you celebrated as you deserve a party! Congrats to you my friend!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Jeanne D said:

☺Great News Teena ☻
    Teena, this is just the best news! I know what a relief it is to have this bone scan over and to receive good news about it. I pray that all of your tests always come out this exact way! I hope you celebrated as you deserve a party! Congrats to you my friend!

Love, Jeanne ♥

Congrats!
    Teena, I am so happy to read this news about your bone scan! Congratulations! I am "dancing" for you!

CONGRATS TEENA

♥ Noel
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Yea, Teena! Thank you for
    Yea, Teena! Thank you for letting us know and sharing your good news. And, frankly, you handled the tech's comment much better than I would have. So, give yourself more credit--you're braver than you think.

Moopy
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Moopy23 said:

Yea, Teena! Thank you for
    Yea, Teena! Thank you for letting us know and sharing your good news. And, frankly, you handled the tech's comment much better than I would have. So, give yourself more credit--you're braver than you think.

Moopy

Teena, that's the news we
    Teena, that's the news we were waiting for. Thanks for letting us know how it went and congratulations. Now enjoy the rest of this year and all of next year.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Noel said:

Congrats!
    Teena, I am so happy to read this news about your bone scan! Congratulations! I am "dancing" for you!

CONGRATS TEENA

♥ Noel

Wow, that is cool Noel.

Wow, that is cool Noel.