Feeling down and hurting from the radiation burns.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,i have had a few days like we all do of feeling down.i was down to having 12 rad. treatments left and have to take a week off because of the burns.I lost a dear friend this week and the people that used to come around alot when I was first dignosed I never hear from them anymore.I have relized today that my life will never ever be the same again after Cancer.I just need to come out of this gloom.I know things could be so much worse for me.Anyone that has advice on the rad. burns.I would appriate it.thanks.love and Prayers.(Pat).

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sorry Pat
    Hi Pat. I am so sorry at the loss of your friend. It seems that so many have lost a friend to cancer just this week. And, very sorry about your rad burns. Your rads oncologist should give you something to help your skin. I didn't burn except a little by my collar bone and I used Biafine and Aquaphor. I know there are lots of other things to use. I think Silvadene or something like that is good for a burn. Ask your doctor.

I am sorry you are feeling down. I wish I could say or write something to cheer you up. I really enjoyed your posting this week about your grandson talking about your hair. You will get past this Pat. We will all help you.

Sue
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Ritzy said:

Sorry Pat
    Hi Pat. I am so sorry at the loss of your friend. It seems that so many have lost a friend to cancer just this week. And, very sorry about your rad burns. Your rads oncologist should give you something to help your skin. I didn't burn except a little by my collar bone and I used Biafine and Aquaphor. I know there are lots of other things to use. I think Silvadene or something like that is good for a burn. Ask your doctor.

I am sorry you are feeling down. I wish I could say or write something to cheer you up. I really enjoyed your posting this week about your grandson talking about your hair. You will get past this Pat. We will all help you.

Sue

Pat
    sorry for your loss. it is so difficult to make new friends, it is devastating to loose old ones.

I was burn by radiation too. but not to extend of stopping it.
    I did used Auaphor twice a day. I was told if skin breaks to use Silverdine.
    I wish you healing while on break.
    hugs
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    aquaphor, aquaphor,
    aquaphor, aquaphor, aquaphor. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    lynn1950 said:

aquaphor, aquaphor,
    aquaphor, aquaphor, aquaphor. xoxoxoxo Lynn

Pat, I used Biafine for any
    Pat, I used Biafine for any burn that I had. There are other treatments and creams too. Ask your rads oncologist. Let us know how you do.

And, sorry about your friend.

Lex♥
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Sorry about the loss of your
    Sorry about the loss of your friend.

I too had to deal with gloom and low emotions this past week. It's starting to get better for me. I needed an attitude adjustment, and I'm working on that. I was also feeling very alone, but God sent angels to help lift my spirits. Those angels were the people who called me in the past few days with wonderful support.

Pat people care but they also have to get on with their everyday lives. I also find that this time of year is the busiest for almost everyone, so even tho you havent heard from friends, they do still care.

Cancer treatment is so unlike other treatments, and unless you've been there, people dont have a clue what this is. If you have surgery, your sick for a while and gradually get better. With chemo it's an ongoing get sick, get better, get sick from treatment again. I havent done rads yet, but I hear that whatever energy is still left in our bodies also gets zapped from rads.

This cancer stuff is a tough road, but we are strong warriors, and even tho we get down, we also regain that tough warrior attitude to fight this ugly beast.

I said a prayer for you. Try to keep your chin up and remember "Smile" God loves you.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I can't believe how
    I can't believe how fortunate I have been, I wonder if I've even been zapped! I have had no problems with burns at all. I have 2 more boosts to go and I am finished. Maybe it's possible because i had a week off when i was hospitalized, don't know. I know it is a new machine only 2 years old, maybe I don't know. I feel for those who have been hurting.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    thanks for the response
    Hi everyone.i appriatte the words of incouragement.I will snap out of it I promise.the Dr.did give me a cream to use.And thanks for reminding me about what my granson said.I am ashamed for being so down when so many of you have things alot worse then me.Today is another day and I will have a better attitute.Its Christmas time soon and I will have fun with my Grandchildren.I gave myself an attitude adjustment.Sometimes we have to do that.Hope all you have a wonderful day.God bless you.(Pat).
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Hang in there
    Pat...so sorry for the loss of your friend, as if you aren't going through enough already. And yes, I do feel the same way that my life has changed completely and will never be the same after cancer. But I gained some good out of this as well, I appreciate life, loved ones and friends more than ever before. As for the radiation, I don't start until the first of the year, so not sure how I will fare yet. Best wishes.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    pgrace35 said:

Hang in there
    Pat...so sorry for the loss of your friend, as if you aren't going through enough already. And yes, I do feel the same way that my life has changed completely and will never be the same after cancer. But I gained some good out of this as well, I appreciate life, loved ones and friends more than ever before. As for the radiation, I don't start until the first of the year, so not sure how I will fare yet. Best wishes.

Its a hard time of year
    Its a hard time of year when everyone is so busy. I am kind of stuck at home and so am feeling like I am missing the season, however I watched Charlie Brown Christmas last night and that cheered me up.Brought back memories. Friends are also very busy and I wish I was busy too. but not this year hopefully next year. Its natural to feel up and down, you rlife will improve, it will not always be this way.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    carkris said:

Its a hard time of year
    Its a hard time of year when everyone is so busy. I am kind of stuck at home and so am feeling like I am missing the season, however I watched Charlie Brown Christmas last night and that cheered me up.Brought back memories. Friends are also very busy and I wish I was busy too. but not this year hopefully next year. Its natural to feel up and down, you rlife will improve, it will not always be this way.

i burnt really bad with
    i burnt really bad with radiation and my underarm hurt bad also. dr would not let me put anything on but cornstarch and tylenol for pain i was sure glad when it was over..best of luck to you hope it gets better..i got down also but hang in there.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    teresa41 said:

i burnt really bad with
    i burnt really bad with radiation and my underarm hurt bad also. dr would not let me put anything on but cornstarch and tylenol for pain i was sure glad when it was over..best of luck to you hope it gets better..i got down also but hang in there.

Sweet Pat ♥
    You have every right to feel down and depressed. Just don't stay there for long. You have to stay strong to fight this, not only for yourself, but for your family and friends. ( that includes us ) Radiation treaments are hard, whether one burns or not. It is another treatment that we put ourselves thru mentally and physically. Nothing about any treatment for bc is easy. Talk to your oncologist about helping you with your burns. Apparently what he has given you isn't working now, so, it is time for a change. I used Biafine and Aquaphor and they helped me. I pray that you feel better soon and that you get some relief from your rad burn. I am here for you Pat, for support, encouragement and to remind you of what a wonderful, sweet, caring person you are! Ok?

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Pat. I'm sorry you feel
    Hi, Pat. I'm sorry you feel bad and very sorry for the loss of your friend. I always aay that the worst thing about aging to me is that we have to experience death. It used to be parents and their friends but now it's my friends and people my age. I know it's this thing called life but it doesn't make it any easier. I have 7 more boosters and then I'm finished with rads. I haven't had too much of a problem with burning. I look like I have one hell of a tan on that boob and surrounding area. Take comfort in knowing that we're here and wishing the best for you. Take care.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Pat. I'm sorry you feel
    Hi, Pat. I'm sorry you feel bad and very sorry for the loss of your friend. I always aay that the worst thing about aging to me is that we have to experience death. It used to be parents and their friends but now it's my friends and people my age. I know it's this thing called life but it doesn't make it any easier. I have 7 more boosters and then I'm finished with rads. I haven't had too much of a problem with burning. I look like I have one hell of a tan on that boob and surrounding area. Take comfort in knowing that we're here and wishing the best for you. Take care.

Aw Pat
    I feel bad that you are so down. You always cheer everyone up on here. I pray that you can get something new for your rad burns. We are all here for you Pat, always.

KYLEZ ♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Kylez said:

Aw Pat
    I feel bad that you are so down. You always cheer everyone up on here. I pray that you can get something new for your rad burns. We are all here for you Pat, always.

KYLEZ ♥

Pat?
    Feeling any better today? I love the story about your grandson. It made me smile.

Take care!

Lex♥
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Alexis F said:

Pat?
    Feeling any better today? I love the story about your grandson. It made me smile.

Take care!

Lex♥

Hi Pat, sure hope by now
    Hi Pat, sure hope by now you're feeling better. Haven't had rads yet so don't know about the burning. Nothing sounds like fun that we have to go thru. We just have to take it one day at a time and get thru that. Wish I always did it that way. I posted a quote about "Attitude" that is an old post, but it basically states that the only thing we have control of is our attitude and we have to choose it every day. Some days I might choose to have a good day no matter what and some days I may choose to stay in bed. Here's to choosing that we're going to have a great day. Hope we all can and hope this is a better day for you.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    ppurdin said:

thanks for the response
    Hi everyone.i appriatte the words of incouragement.I will snap out of it I promise.the Dr.did give me a cream to use.And thanks for reminding me about what my granson said.I am ashamed for being so down when so many of you have things alot worse then me.Today is another day and I will have a better attitute.Its Christmas time soon and I will have fun with my Grandchildren.I gave myself an attitude adjustment.Sometimes we have to do that.Hope all you have a wonderful day.God bless you.(Pat).

You promised now to snap out
    You promised now to snap out of it Pat? Ok? We don't want you to feel down. Everyone is entitled to feel down Pat. But, just don't stay down, ok?

Hugs, Sue