Cancer antigen bloodwork range

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know what makes the CA test results vary within the acceptable range?
My normal range is 0-38 and my results flucuate. Any ideas why? My onco is not worried, but I would feel more comfortable if my number were low, and stayed low.

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    I don't know Lizzie, sorry.
    I don't know Lizzie, sorry. I don't have this done.

Lex♥
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Hi lizzie17...
    If you are referring to tumor markers?, my onc told me many things can influence them, including if you have a cold, or have been under stress of some kind (including the emotional, psychological and physical stresses of the disease itself), so that the numbers may vary but still be within the acceptable range. Hugs to you. Gracie
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

Hi lizzie17...
    If you are referring to tumor markers?, my onc told me many things can influence them, including if you have a cold, or have been under stress of some kind (including the emotional, psychological and physical stresses of the disease itself), so that the numbers may vary but still be within the acceptable range. Hugs to you. Gracie

I don't get them
    Hi Lizzie. I don't have tumor markers done as my oncologist doesn't believe in the validity in them for me. Let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

♥ Noel
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Noel said:

I don't get them
    Hi Lizzie. I don't have tumor markers done as my oncologist doesn't believe in the validity in them for me. Let us know what you find out and how you are doing.

♥ Noel

tumor markers
    Thanks for your responses! I did a little reading that agreed the bloodwork results are not always reliable---and my GYN today told me the same. I have decided to put it out of my mind and try to just be a little more positive about things.