No Insurance

awhitney
awhitney Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My aunt just found out she has breast cancer and she has no health insurance. Do any of you have any advice on what she should do?

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    there is help available
    Her hospital should be able to to direct her to financial help also your local American Cancer Society. She can also try the social security office for assistance.
  • awhitney
    awhitney Member Posts: 2

there is help available
    Her hospital should be able to to direct her to financial help also your local American Cancer Society. She can also try the social security office for assistance.

Thank you
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate you letting me know.
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    awhitney said:

Thank you
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate you letting me know.

You might can also check at
    You might can also check at the health department in which county you live. Some states have programs for the uninsured with breast cancer.
    Deb
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Deb1969 said:

You might can also check at
    You might can also check at the health department in which county you live. Some states have programs for the uninsured with breast cancer.
    Deb

Contact the American Cancer
    Contact the American Cancer Society, your local health department and the hospital or cancer center where she will be treated. There is help out there for her. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Ritzy said:

Contact the American Cancer
    Contact the American Cancer Society, your local health department and the hospital or cancer center where she will be treated. There is help out there for her. Good luck!

Sue :)

Good advice from the others.
    Good advice from the others. The social worker at your hospital should help her, or, just have her ask her oncologist. They will put her in touch with someone.

Lex♥
  • AmandaMarie29
    AmandaMarie29 Member Posts: 55
    I didn't have health
    I didn't have health insurance either but there are ways to do it. I went to my local health department and they helped me find assistace. Also, a social worker at her doctor's office should be able to help. Regaurdless of insurance they will treat her. It's hard enough to deal with the thought of having this disease let alone finding out how to pay for it. Tell her it to just look around and she will find help.

Mandi
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    In addition to what others
    In addition to what others have said If she is a Veteran, she should contact VA. Also if her husband is a 100% disabled Veteran.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    ACS has
    patient navigators who can help her with that.Just call their number in her area!
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    BCCCP
    Google BCCCP - is the breast cancer cervical cancer prevention insurance through medicaid -- good luck to her!!!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

ACS has
    patient navigators who can help her with that.Just call their number in her area!

Good advice Patti about the
    Good advice Patti about the Patient Navigators on here. Have your aunt contact them.
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132

BCCCP
    Google BCCCP - is the breast cancer cervical cancer prevention insurance through medicaid -- good luck to her!!!

a couple of other ideas
    This isn't regarding insurance but a little extra money. The cancer society offers $250 to help pay for gas coming and going to the hospitals etc. Also VFW is she is involved in any of them, they give small grants to help out financialy. In our particular area they give cancer patients $1000.00 to help cover medical costs. Perhaps in her area they do that also. One other thing to check out is a case worker for the hospital, they hospital gives out $1000.00 in grants also. These grants add up and help with medication, gas, and some of the bills. Bless your heart in helping her out, she's in my prayers and you to.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    marywest said:

a couple of other ideas
    This isn't regarding insurance but a little extra money. The cancer society offers $250 to help pay for gas coming and going to the hospitals etc. Also VFW is she is involved in any of them, they give small grants to help out financialy. In our particular area they give cancer patients $1000.00 to help cover medical costs. Perhaps in her area they do that also. One other thing to check out is a case worker for the hospital, they hospital gives out $1000.00 in grants also. These grants add up and help with medication, gas, and some of the bills. Bless your heart in helping her out, she's in my prayers and you to.

There is a lot of good
    There is a lot of good advice here. I am sure she can find some help with any of them. Usually, any cancer center or hospital will work with you. Good luck.

Debby